Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I liked the MCU's version of Namor. But I don't think the general moviegoing audience really knows who he is at this point. Marvel Studios has failed to do a good job introducing new characters lately. Even the more "peripheral" characters in the first three phases were more interesting to me. And they're gonna be introducing even MORE of them.
    If it had been an original character? enh, I'd have liked it more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Only diehards know who anyone in WF are, while you could stop average people on the street now and ask them who Thanos or Thor or The Black Panther were and they'd know. Namor, highly doubtful. Just like most anything post Endgame.
    It didn't help Namor at all, like I said, he didn't even get a book out of it. It's not as if I want it to be so, it's just how it is.
    This is an incredibly disingenuous comparison.
    Of course more people know who they are by this point than they would Namor who has been an antagonist in one movie that released barely two years ago.

Meanwhile Thor, Black Panther and Thanos have all been in multiple movies released over multiple years, Thor and Black Panther have their own self titled solo movies, along with their appearances in the Avengers movies and Thanos was literally the main villain and focus of Avengers Infinity War and Endgame, two of the biggest movies in history.

The fact Namor isn't as popular as characters who where introduced a decade ago and have been in multiple movies is not damning evidence he's some obscure character no one knows.

And Marvel's failure to capitalize on the movie and do something with Namor has nothing to do with the movie and character being forgotten, that's just them passing up an obvious opportunity to try and push the character more.

Especially when Marvel always plans this synergy stuff before the release of a movie/show not after.
    I'm not listing decades of things that have happened in Marvel's Sub-Mariner or Atlantean lore, because 1) That's stupid, do you own homework, and 2) I'm quite sure you already know the answer and are just playing games. I'd be more willing to have a legitimate conversation with you if you had just come out and admitted that you like the MCU version better because you're a huge WF fan, and you don't care about the 616 version or think it's lame or whatever your issue is. It's obvious to everyone reading your posts you have some sort of chip on your shoulder about it. It's perfectly fine to say you prefer the MCU version. I mean, it's the topic of this thread.

I did not degrade Wakanda, I made the same example you did with Atlantis. A person who has not read a Sub-Mariner or Black Panther book, may not think or know there is anything interesting about the places, aside from the fact well known characters live there. Also, read what I wrote again. I said IF I had not read a Black Panther book. Not that I hadn't. I've read BP books since I was a kid, which was before even the Priest days.

I think this will be the end of my replying to you, as from what I can see with your posts to other people, it's just going to go in circles. If you actually want to know more about what makes 616 Atlantis and the Sub-Mariner interesting, come over to the Imperius Rex/Sub-Mariner thread and lots of people would probably enjoy telling you all kinds of things about it.
    See this is precisely my point, you wanna keep telling me Marvel Atlantis is actually interesting unique and then refuse to tell me how, instead you find any reason to keep from talking about it, if it's so interesting and unique you should be able to tell me about it.
    This is supposed to be a discussion and in a discussion you need to back up and support your position instead of doing everything in your power to keep from actually talking about the topic.

If I go to the X-Men forums and say Cyclops is a boring character with no notable personality traits, I'm sure they'll cite stories, post panels and give examples to show why I'm wrong, because that's a how a debate works.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    See this is precisely my point, you wanna keep telling me Marvel Atlantis is actually interesting unique and then refuse to tell me how, instead you find any reason to keep from talking about it, if it's so interesting and unique you should be able to tell me about it.
    This is supposed to be a discussion and in a discussion you need to back up and support your position instead of doing everything in your power to keep from actually talking about the topic.

If I go to the X-Men forums and say Cyclops is a boring character with no notable personality traits, I'm sure they'll cite stories, post panels and give examples to show why I'm wrong, because that's a how a debate works.
    Well, while comparing Namor and Aquaman's supporting casts in my previous post... one of the biggest things that stuck out to me.... Namor's supporting cast has gotten killed off. Lady Dorma got killed so long ago new readers don't even know who she was. Marrina? enh... that was weird and not very recent either. When's the last time Namor got used.... for ANYTHING Atlantean? Or any other Marvel Atlanteans? Yes Namora and Namorita exist... but they don't get used much.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, while comparing Namor and Aquaman's supporting casts in my previous post... one of the biggest things that stuck out to me.... Namor's supporting cast has gotten killed off. Lady Dorma got killed so long ago new readers don't even know who she was.
    They were hinting in the Namor King in Black mini that Dorme would be back, but so far we've got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    They were hinting in the Namor King in Black mini that Dorme would be back, but so far we've got nothing.
    I'm uncertain if I want her back, as there was some sense of an attempt or ploy years ago.

Of course at this point it would only be a supernatural/extra-natural thing that could do this. I don't remember the bit from King/Black, but maybe.

The only other thing would be for Dorma back, but very differently. I'm reading series of novels where ghosts, spirits and even ghosts of demons or other supernaturals come back and interact.

I think I prefer something like that, where the status quo is very different but we can say, this is Dorma/presence.
    But I don't know really what would work.

I hope Marrina is not brought back. I never bought the character's 'ship with Namor. And then the plodex weirdness.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I'm uncertain if I want her back, as there was some sense of an attempt or ploy years ago.

Of course at this point it would only be a supernatural/extra-natural thing that could do this. I don't remember the bit from King/Black, but maybe.

The only other thing would be for Dorma back, but very differently. I'm reading series of novels where ghosts, spirits and even ghosts of demons or other supernaturals come back and interact.

I think I prefer something like that, where the status quo is very different but we can say, this is Dorma/presence.
    But I don't know really what would work.

I hope Marrina is not brought back. I never bought the character's 'ship with Namor. And then the plodex weirdness.

She's been back a lot my friend.
    P00020.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    P00020.jpg
    But no longer attached to Namor....

Boisterously Confused

I wasn't crazy about the cultural remake but didn't outright hate it (except for the name part). The breaking point for me was the actor: physically and personality-wise, as regally intimidating as overcooked pasta.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

No for me. The movie didn't no Namor right Imo there was no need to change him
    X-Men Forever

If it had been an original character? enh, I'd have liked it more.
    I consider the live-action versions of comic book characters to be totally original, new and unique, so that's why I quite enjoyed Namor's introduction. The essence of Namor was still very present to me in his MCU version, and he was actually a little bit funnier than his counterpart from the source material (which I liked).

BANNED

Well, while comparing Namor and Aquaman's supporting casts in my previous post... one of the biggest things that stuck out to me.... Namor's supporting cast has gotten killed off. Lady Dorma got killed so long ago new readers don't even know who she was. Marrina? enh... that was weird and not very recent either. When's the last time Namor got used.... for ANYTHING Atlantean? Or any other Marvel Atlanteans? Yes Namora and Namorita exist... but they don't get used much.
    This is all exactly what I mean about Marvel Atlantis, key characters who should be big figures to the setting have been killed off or ignored for years.

Am I really to believe the setting has this truly unique and interesting mythology when nothing is ever done with it and it's characters?

What reason do I have to think the movie and Namor's character was somehow worse off by the changes they made and would somehow be better by using Marvel Atlantis other than the fact it would be comic accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    P00020.jpg
    I knew and know. Don't like.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

But no longer attached to Namor....
    Okay, that makes it better.
    ~ Oberon ~

BANNED

Movie version Namor's ankle wings were stupid and useless they didn't make him fly much or anything.

how useful were Namor's ankle wings in the old Fantastic Four comic anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    Movie version Namor's ankle wings were stupid and useless they didn't make him fly much or anything.

how useful were Namor's ankle wings in the old Fantastic Four comic anyway?
    The ankle wings are apart of Namor’s Mutation. It makes just as much sense as Nightcrawler having 3 fingers or Storm having white hair.

In universe the wings were said to help with steering and Namor may have some form of low level telekinesis that actually helps him fly. No one really knows how he flies with them, he just flies because.

But the wings are a key defining/branding of the character that separates him from the likes of Superman, Rogue, Hyperion, etc. So the purpose they serve is distinction and uniqueness.

The are also suppose to be a harken back to Hermes. Another connection to his Atlantean/Roman heritage.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-24-2024 at 04:38 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.