Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

They could've used another well-known sunken civilization mythology like Mu or Lemuria if they didn't want to use Atlantis. Talokan worked in the movie I guess.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Not fan of that.
    And really, it had to be that the origin of his name?

"The child without love".

They could also called him Tlove.
    this is basically how I feel too.

Alos... It's not inherently a bad idea for a character concept... just.... why change it?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    this is basically how I feel too.

Alos... It's not inherently a bad idea for a character concept... just.... why change it?
    Aquaman.

Not sure who at Disney wanted a Namor vs Black Panther showdown so bad. No T'Challa and had to re-do Namor. Good grief.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

I did mourn his seminal place in the Marvel's history being tossed, and all his ties to the MU, especially the Invaders, but that had been tossed out with the first Cap movie. I had a few other nit picks, but over all I loved his MCU version.
    Yeah, that was a disappointing aspect of the first Cap movie. Marvel didn't have the rights to Namor at the time, but if they had -- could have branched out to an Invaders movie with or without Cap. The appearance of the Jim Hammond android was my favorite part of that movie. Sadly, the movies haven't been great at honoring the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Sadly, the movies haven't been great at honoring the source material.
    ^^^True, but they’re still the best Marvel adaptations/comic movies we’ve ever gotten.

There’s just no way they were ever going to be a hundred percent faithful to the source material for numerous reasons. To me they’re a just a different reality (again a way better reality for the most part than other non MCU products), so I take it w. a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Aquaman.

Not sure who at Disney wanted a Namor vs Black Panther showdown so bad. No T'Challa and had to re-do Namor. Good grief.
    That's the funny part.... They really have very little in common other than being Atlanteans. DC and Marvel have different ideas about what Atlanteans even are. So they don't generally look the same, and Atlantis doesn't look the same. and in DC they have an entire system of underwater civilizations... not just the one.

But they decided to do new stuff... and not simply focus on what was already different.....

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Why not?
    I don't like it either. They completely changed the character and his entire culture, that's why. There are also people saying he's always looked Asian. His last name is Mckenzie! How you get Asian or Aztec from that is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I don't like it either. They completely changed the character and his entire culture, that's why. There are also people saying he's always looked Asian. His last name is Mckenzie! How you get Asian or Aztec from that is beyond me.
    Yeah, he's supposed to look odd and different... but that's because Atlanteans in Marvel DON'T look fully human. They're kind of like aquatic elves...

I can't put my finger on it, but I know that Marvel had to do SOMETHING with Namor's culture. In the end, I think it worked.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yay! 5678910
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Everything about Namor in the MCU was bad. Nothing can be saved and I won't waste my time with the character in the cinema.
    I just hope this "no love" nonsense and others don't get brought into the comics.

BANNED

its amazing that the final battle between Shuri and Namor the movie makers got away with like Namor beating up a skinny African girl and stabbing her with a spear.

then Namor's ankle wing feathers getting ripped off

BANNED

also Namor surviving a major burn blast from one of those Wakanda flying jets

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    If you look at the Golden Age depiction of Namor, he very much has features that are not classically Eurocentric. of course, Namor isn't purely Atlantean. He's "biracial." He gets his last name from his father, who is white. But for that, Namor would have blue skin like his mother, Princess Fen. That said, even that doesn't quite make sense as very few of the people who resided on Atlantis before it sank had blue skin. Perhaps Marvel explained that in a series that I missed, but I always thought that somewhere along the way the Atlanteans really needed to be linked to the god, Poseidon, biologically, which would explain their physical and genetic attributes a bit better, what, with the gods all having fairly protean attributes themselves. (And yes, I know Proteus, the shapeshifter god, is the son of Poseidon, so there's that.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?