Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Are we sure popverse didn’t just write the article wrong about Waid writing all the tie ins? That seems like a huge undertaking and is only 1 line in their article that they brush over. It’s not even mentioned in DC’s press release.

All the scheming by Waller and the destruction of her character and apparently her ultimate plan was to steal metahuman powers. One of the most cliche comic book villain tropes. “Now your power will be mine!”

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    How have Kryptonite laced bullets not become a regular thing in the Super-verse?
    Considering the plot, it's possible his powers were taken away.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It's Waid and Mora, so I'm definitely in for it.
    I mean, this is a given for me. You really can't go wrong with this creative team on a DC project.

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    He just left Shazam. He clarified he isn't leaving World's Finest.
    Thank goodness for that.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 02-23-2024 at 09:26 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Considering the plot, it's possible his powers were taken away.
    Hopefully not since he isn't a metahuman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder why Waid is writing all the tie-ins, it seems unprecedented.

Is it something Waid suggested or wanted to do? Was it to keep the story as consistent and tight as possible? Did they not want to interrupt a bunch of titles this time? Did they not have enough writers available to write tie-ins?
    Well if you want to go full conspiracy theory, I suspect the reason is DC is prioritizing whatever Scott Snyder is doing. All the big writers - PKJ, Aaron, Ram V, etc - are likely working on that. Waid is keeping the lights on with a mandatory event, and also making a push to try and attract attention to the current DCU (which is clearly in line with his sensibilities given the lighter tone and lots of influence from the animated side), but the sales are soft. Waid needs to show his vision for DC is profitable, otherwise I expect Javins will favor Snyder. Say what you want about the Metal events or his JL run, but the Snyder era for DC was apparently a strong seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Are we sure popverse didn’t just write the article wrong about Waid writing all the tie ins? That seems like a huge undertaking and is only 1 line in their article that they brush over. It’s not even mentioned in DC’s press release.
    Bleeding Cool is claiming the same, Waid is writing everything. They might both be wrong of course (or Rich repeated what Popverse said without bothering to check).
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-23-2024 at 11:24 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Alright so we know the big three who are the villains here; Waller, Brainiac Queen, and batman zur en arrh but I think I have an idea of who else is gonna be a major player, obviously by speculation. Not counting Peacemaker and Peacewrecker, those two are obvious.

1. Sarge Steel and A.X.E., he’s been working with Waller throughout multiple books such as Wonder Woman, Titans, and Beast World

2. Director Bones and Stormwatch, as Batman the brave and the bold anthology series has seen that Waller is in charge of them and the preview for next weeks Green Arrow had Director Bones.

3. “Raven”/ Doctor Hate, they still out there and have infiltrated the Titans can’t tell me that’s not an issue.

4. The army of supervillains that Waller promised to pardon if they kill superheroes.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Yeah idiotic that she doesn't have a villain there. But to be fair Sovereign might be pulling Wallers strings.

But Wonder Woman by Mark Waid? No thank you.
    Ironic choice of words. "No thank you" seems to be Diana's new catchphrase, it's come up several times in King's six issues so far.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know - considering how many Flashes, GLs and Aqua-people there are, there can be a dedicated JL member of each without much extra coordination between offices. And J'onn hasn't had his own title in some time.
    Yeah, Wally has the Flash solo so Barry should be on the League when it comes back. Green Lantern can be John, since Hal has the main solo. Kyle, Guy, Simon, Jessica are all also options if John still has his own solo (is War Journal a limited series?). Aquaman doesn't even have a book right now, so it doesn't matter if it's Arthur or Jackson, as there's no solo to contradict.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well if you want to go full conspiracy theory, I suspect the reason is DC is prioritizing whatever Scott Snyder is doing. All the big writers - PKJ, Aaron, Ram V, etc - are likely working on that. Waid is keeping the lights on with a mandatory event, and also making a push to try and attract attention to the current DCU (which is clearly in line with his sensibilities given the lighter tone and lots of influence from the animated side), but the sales are soft. Waid needs to show his vision for DC is profitable, otherwise I expect Javins will favor Snyder. Say what you want about the Metal events or his JL run, but the Snyder era for DC was apparently a strong seller.
    If that's the case, it sounds like Snyder isn't doing Ultimate DC as another imprint, but rather as a large scale reboot, with all top writers being involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    If that's the case, it sounds like Snyder isn't doing Ultimate DC as another imprint, but rather as a large scale reboot, with all top writers being involved.
    It wouldn’t be a reboot of the Earth 0 line. It would be an imprint, one they stack with top tier talent to attract attention. Look at Ultimate Marvel, that has Hickman work on it, it’s got great artists like Peach Momoko, they didn’t put people like Greg Land on it. If DC intends for “Ultimate DC” to be their big attention grabber, you might as well get the big guns involved.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

If they're using magic though....

How have Kryptonite laced bullets not become a regular thing in the Super-verse?
    Because kryptonite is the most expensive material in the DCU. More than one million gold bullets.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Nobody said Waller's plan specifically affected metahumans. As I said earlier, considering the Trinity are involved, Waller would have to account for Batman (no powers) Superman (alien physiology) and Wonder Woman, (magic) not to mention heroes with tech. (Green Lanterns, Cyborg, Blue Beetle, Metal Men, Robotman etc) I imagine between her two allies, Waid will come up with some comic-booky way to affect all (or almost all) the heroes.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My guess is that Waid will have co-writers for at least some of the tie-ins.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It wouldn’t be a reboot of the Earth 0 line. It would be an imprint, one they stack with top tier talent to attract attention. Look at Ultimate Marvel, that has Hickman work on it, it’s got great artists like Peach Momoko, they didn’t put people like Greg Land on it. If DC intends for “Ultimate DC” to be their big attention grabber, you might as well get the big guns involved.
    I highly doubt it is going to be a reboot. Snyder even worked against that when DiDio tried to impose his 5G reboot (or new52 v.2.0, if you prefer). It is most probably another imprint with, who knows what difference are going to be. But definitely following the path of the Ultimate idea. I suppose neither All Star or Earth One are disponible names. Millenium? Legends? Essential? Divine Continuum?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin