Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

It's so difficult for me to care about anything headlined by the Trinity. I have to imagine a lot of other heroes will be involved though.

Since the Trinity are front-and-center, I have to imagine they'll figure out how her plan to steal "powers" might or might not work on heroes without powers (Batman) or aliens (Superman) or mystical-based heroes (Wonder Woman) as well as heroes whose powers are tech-based (GLs etc) rather than using the easy meta-gene plot device. I also hope they don't ignore heroes who should play a bigger role just to make sure it's Trinity focused. With Waid, I feel there's a decent chance we'll see some random heroes get a spotlight.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    The Titans solicit for #11 mentions Waller doing a deal with Trigon, so I'm expecting this to tie into the event as well.
    There's a mention of the events of Beast World tieing in alongside the other stuff....

It's interesting, on the one hand part of me thinks that if the Titans are the current 'leads' of the DCU it should be them on the cover. But on the other hand, maybe this is the new status quo that keeps it sustainable - like in Knight Terrors. No League, as such, but "the Trinity" more of an entity by itself coming together in extreme circumstances - without all the faff and wrangling that comes from a title having to keep Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern etc ticking over in a monthly book facing relevant-sized threats alongside solo titles.

I mean, it's Waid and Mora. I'm going to read it. It's just not got my motor running yet.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    The problem with making all the books tie-in is that you end up running the risk of making both the audiences and the creators burn-out. Like Marvel forced to everyone to tie-in with Civil War 2 and Secret Empire and everyone got tired of it (and it didn't even seem to help Secret Empire sales-wise).

Like, for instance, the fact Waller is the stand-in for WW instead of Sovereign or someone like Circe tells me King probably didn't want to tie-in with this event.
    Yeah idiotic that she doesn't have a villain there. But to be fair Sovereign might be pulling Wallers strings.

But Wonder Woman by Mark Waid? No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    There's a mention of the events of Beast World tieing in alongside the other stuff....

It's interesting, on the one hand part of me thinks that if the Titans are the current 'leads' of the DCU it should be them on the cover. But on the other hand, maybe this is the new status quo that keeps it sustainable - like in Knight Terrors. No League, as such, but "the Trinity" more of an entity by itself coming together in extreme circumstances - without all the faff and wrangling that comes from a title having to keep Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern etc ticking over in a monthly book facing relevant-sized threats alongside solo titles.

I mean, it's Waid and Mora. I'm going to read it. It's just not got my motor running yet.
    I think the reason why DC isn't publishing a JL book is precisely because they don't want to coordinate the different status quos for Batman, Superman, WW, GL, Flash, etc for a monthly book.

Taylor has indicated he might have to take Wally off the Titans for a while due to the events of Spurrier's Flash. And if Titans has this problem despite Taylor having full creative control of 6 out of 7 members of the team, a Justice League book would probably have it worse.

Astonishing Member

King probably didn't want his run to tie into this.
    But Williamson, Zdarsky and Taylor definitely will write tie-ins in their runs.
    I think the reason why DC isn't publishing a JL book is precisely because they don't want to coordinate the different status quos for Batman, Superman, WW, GL, Flash, etc for a monthly book.

Taylor has indicated he might have to take Wally off the Titans for a while due to the events of Spurrier's Flash. And Titans is book where Taylor has creative control for 6 out of 7 members of the team. A Justice League would have this problem tenfold.
    It never was a big deal before.
    Besides, Bat-Office, for example, is an epitome of not giving a damn. Zdarsky, Williamson and Ram V (and Taylor in recent Nightwing issue) are literally writing completely different status quos.

I love Waid, I love Mora, I love the Trinity...I'm just not sure if I'm feeling this as an event.

I'm actually surprised Waller's plan is to steal peoples' powers. The way she's being written now I didn't think she'd settle for less than outright genocide. Although I don't expect Waid to write Waller any better than Williamson or Taylor have.

I know WW fans don't have a high opinion of Waid or his handling of Diana but it is kind of funny that the evil version of the Trinity have reps from their own franchise building from their own storylines...except Diana. Like Waller is there because she's the female Big Bad which is about as much thought gets put into Diana in the Trinity sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It never was a big deal before.
    Besides, Bat-Office, for example, is an epitome of not giving a damn. Zdarsky, Williamson and Ram V (and Taylor in recent Nightwing issue) are literally writing completely different status quos.
    It was a big deal in the past. It's why the all the Justice League books in the 80s and 90s were always weird stuff like Detroit, International, Europe, Extreme Justice, etc.

Morrison's JLA only happened because Levitz (iirc) strong-armed all the DC editors into making the book and even then you had weird stuff like Blue Superman, Hyppolyta being WW and Batman constantly saying "he isn't on the team" because Morrison was afraid O'Neil would take him off the book with no warning.

It's Waid and Mora, so I'm definitely in for it.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

The plot doesn’t excite me (Waller in a long line of humans trying to steal meta human powers), but at least the art will be amazing.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Sounds like this will be a fun read. I hope this ends will Waller being revealed to be controlled or manipulated by some higher villain. I don't like her as a full-on villain/control-freak. I also hope this book concludes with the return of the Justice League with this same creative team on the book.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, agreed - at the time, much as I love the Titans, I thought DC was leaving money on the table by doing it this way. But so long as DC can still put "the Trinity" front and center still, I'm not longer sure they are.

(Has there actually been a popular run on the League since Johns'? And that had some real nadirs. I checked out of Snyder's run early, so I don't know how well it went down overall - but all that Apex Lex and Hell Arisen stuff didn't make it look like I was missing out on anything.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    JL event with WW written by Waid is a skip.
    But that Dan Mora art though! I really wish his art became the DC default for merchandise! It truly is a modern look and better than the art from the 80’s or New 52
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

They literally have Waller all over the place so this rings very hollow.

And of course no WW villain...shocker.

Most of DCs big hitters aren't even meta humans so it shouldn't have that much impact

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    But that Dan Mora art though! I really wish his art became the DC default for merchandise! It truly is a modern look and better than the art from the 80’s or New 52
    Not the biggest fan of Mora either.

He's good but definitive DC artist? Nah

Fantastic Member

I like Mora, but his Wonder Woman is not for me. She is too thin and not always of course, but so often seems angry.