Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I am so absolutely sick and tired of seeing Spider-Man get his ass kicked ever since time there is a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    Once again this arc tells nothing about Spidey having to spend the whole gang war discussing with Tombstone and Fisk and then kicking ass in Central Park at the end...
    mj and spider-boy who comes out of nowhere to save his life, the ridiculous fight between spidey and madame mask... is she the one who escapes flying at the end? I didn't understand anything about this scene lol

Spider-man continues to be catastrophic arc after arc seriously the spider-woman tie-ins were better than any gang war.
    Rabble was the one who left she a Miles villain
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

The letters page mentioned Peter having some romance in later issues. I wonder if it's that lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    The letters page mentioned Peter having some romance in later issues. I wonder if it's that lawyer.
    It also mentions the return of Anna Waston so expect Paul and Jackpot yay

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Amazing Member

How are the sales of the Gang War ancillary books? Is that the purpose of this event? Cash grab and promotion of other characters? Is there an overarching theme or story that persists in this run?

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Marginally better than Dark Web, since at least Peter actually did something in the final battle and the arc as a whole even if as little as it may have been.
    But that 'conclusion' with Masque is mind boggling. Besides it being as bland as vanilla (Spidey's webbing messes up the villain's gun? Not really big wrap-up material, unless said gun is a giant space station aimed at Earth if you ask me), it was incredibly preachy and saccharine - it didn't sound like Wells' writing at all. As his love of dead children attests, he tends to go other roads and it shows even in the way he writes dialogue. It really feels like he had nowhere else to turn, so that's about all he could come up with.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Man...if you're someone who hates Peter getting beat up and needing to be pulled out of the fire in these arcs. This is going to be a rough issue for you. lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Man...if you're someone who hates Peter getting beat up and needing to be pulled out of the fire in these arcs. This is going to be a rough issue for you. lol
    But what if you're someone who LOVES to see Peter getting beat up and needing to be pulled out of the fire? I guess that public exists, after all ASM keeps selling better than most titles
    Last edited by Sr. Bungle; 02-28-2024 at 12:01 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    It also mentions the return of Anna Waston so expect Paul and Jackpot yay
    Peter gave up on winning back MJ, though Har marrying Paul would still make Peter sad. I still think the romance pertains to Pete and a new love interest. However long that will last

Has there been any mention when Wells is off this book? I only read these six issues because of Romita Jr., but what a waste. It was pretty much a pointless 6 issues that really did almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    Has there been any mention when Wells is off this book? I only read these six issues because of Romita Jr., but what a waste. It was pretty much a pointless 6 issues that really did almost nothing.
    Nope just speculation from fans

Fantastic Member

Obviously I should know better by now than to be excited when I see Spidey in a bad situation where it seems hopeless, but the first 40 years of the comic did condition me to expect that, when his back is against the wall, he’ll pull through in Amazing fashion (hence the title of the book). But he just hasn’t done that a single time in this run. Every time he’s been put in a situation like that, he’s had to be bailed out by someone else. It’s depressing, it’s boring, it’s certainly not Amazing, and at the end of the day, it’s just not Spider-Man. Someone get this pretender out of this book and bring back the real Spider-Man

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    But what if you're someone who LOVES to see Peter getting beat up and needing to be pulled out of the fire? I guess that public exists, after ASM keeps selling better than most titles
    So i'm not one to complain about a character being nerf'd or jobbed or what have you, but this arc really made me feel it. lol

What was weird was this is the first arc that started to go meta with it becuase those issues with the Kingpin had Peter making self-deprecating jokes about essentially having no agency in this story. Tombstone being the "true" protagonist of this story is completely fine in my opinon, in a vacuum, but when it coincides with the story just paying lipservice to why Peter is involved and then capping it off with him being completely ineffectual in the final fight it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

It's honestly comical that the only thing he achieved the entire arc was webbing Madame Masque's gauntlet, causing it to explode. And that was his single win the entire Gang War.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Incredible Member

Zeb Wells still keeps you folks reading.

That's gotta count for something!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Zeb Wells still keeps you folks reading.

That's gotta count for something!
    But what if you're someone who LOVES to see Peter getting beat up and needing to be pulled out of the fire? I guess that public exists, after all ASM keeps selling better than most titles