Default Cable 2 Preview.

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC230613

Old Nate vs Grey Gargoyle.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fantastic Member

I love that artwork. It has a very Steve Skroce 1990s quality to it.

This series looks good and is fun so far. Like most of what Fabian has done.

I will say, however, it is kind of disappointing to see Cable always relegated to side missions during the big stuff… going back to the whole Endangered Species time period where he was gallivanting around in the future, protecting Hope… to Avengers: X-Sanction where he fought the Avengers prior to AvX and thus was sidelined for the whole event as a result… to his last few solo outings which see him jumping around in time as a “time cop” and not interacting with the present day Marvel U… to him being killed by his younger self and thus missing most of the Krakoan era (at least the OG version missed it)… to most recently fighting the Children of the Vault during FoX, and now this mission against the Neocracy during FotHX/RotPX.

IMO the character was at his best in the 90s when he was a core part of the X-line and firmly entrenched in the happenings of the present day Marvel U. Thinking about stuff like X-Tinction Agenda, X-Cutioner’s Song, Phalanx Covenant, OZT, etc., where he was an important part of the crossover. Not off doing something else while the real $#!t was going down.

Maybe in the next era Brevoort will bring him back into the fold in a more meaningful way… but I won’t hold my breath. I know, I know… be thankful he keeps getting these chances with his own titles. I am. It’s just… Nathan Summers could be a solid B-lister again, if not A-list, with the right approach and creative team. So I just see squandered potential with this character sadly.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    This series looks good and is fun so far. Like most of what Fabian has done.

I will say, however, it is kind of disappointing to see Cable always relegated to side missions during the big stuff… going back to the whole Endangered Species time period where he was gallivanting around in the future, protecting Hope… to Avengers: X-Sanction where he fought the Avengers prior to AvX and thus was sidelined for the whole event as a result… to his last few solo outings which see him jumping around in time as a “time cop” and not interacting with the present day Marvel U… to him being killed by his younger self and thus missing most of the Krakoan era (at least the OG version missed it)… to most recently fighting the Children of the Vault during FoX, and now this mission against the Neocracy during FotHX/RotPX.

IMO the character was at his best in the 90s when he was a core part of the X-line and firmly entrenched in the happenings of the present day Marvel U. Thinking about stuff like X-Tinction Agenda, X-Cutioner’s Song, Phalanx Covenant, OZT, etc., where he was an important part of the crossover. Not off doing something else while the real $#!t was going down.

Maybe in the next era Brevoort will bring him back into the fold in a more meaningful way… but I won’t hold my breath. I know, I know… be thankful he keeps getting these chances with his own titles. I am. It’s just… Nathan Summers could be a solid B-lister again, if not A-list, with the right approach and creative team. So I just see squandered potential with this character sadly.
    you know he will be back especially if he shows up in Deadpool & Wolverine

I don’t think he’s going to. Maybe they snuck in a cameo from Cable, but doubtful. There were rumors that John Cena might play a variant version, and Josh Brolin gave a kind of cryptic answer when asked about it, but I’m pretty sure he was busy filming Dune 2 and thus is not in this movie.

But I could be wrong. Regardless, I think the biggest thing holding back Cable right now is that Marvel has kind of pushed Logan into his “present day lane,” meaning that now Wolverine runs the mutant CIA, X-Force, and all the black ops X-men stuff. I get it… he sells better. And he’s my other favorite, so hard to complain honestly. But Logan can still thrive as a core X-men team member and also having his own loner solo adventures, so he doesn’t need that lane. Nathan does sadly. And without it… well, he gets relegated to side missions and time hopping stuff unfortunately.

It is what is is I guess… we’ll see what Brevoort and Company do with him in the next era, though. He’s getting a kickass Marvel Legends figure this year, so that’s cool.

Would have been nice to see Cable interacting with Moira given thier shared history with each other
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Would have been nice to see Cable interacting with Moira given thier shared history with each other
    Agreed. 100%. With her having all this future knowledge, and Cable knowing her from the very beginning of his return to this era, you’d think he’d be one of the ones hunting for her… or would at least give a damn one way or the other what she’s up to. Nope. Let’s go fight the CotV instead. Or the Neocracy. Makes zero sense considering their history, and everything we’ve ever known about Nathan Summers. *shrugs*

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Or them twisting Moira further

It’s very weird that they followed up Children of the Vault with a series that essentially has the same high concept. Cable teams up with an unlikely former-enemy time-traveler to fight the rise of a post-human threat while the other mutants are distracted by Orchis.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It’s very weird that they followed up Children of the Vault with a series that essentially has the same high concept. Cable teams up with an unlikely former-enemy time-traveler to fight the rise of a post-human threat while the other mutants are distracted by Orchis.
    It’s not weird at all. They’ve been doing this with Cable for quite awhile now. He hasn’t been “core” in a long time. Always shunted off into the future, doing “timey wimey” stuff… stopping future threats before they happen, jumping around in the timestream playing time cop, etc. When Duggan basically called this out in a very meta way as he brought the OG version back in Cable #11 and 12, with older Cable poking fun of his younger self for playing “time cop” (even though he himself also did that very thing), I thought maybe it was going to serve as the start of a turnaround for the character.

No such luck sadly. I know precisely what I’d do with Nathan in order to bring him back to prominence, but it would require getting Logan “out of his lane” and giving him back X-Force as his team. Probably won’t happen since Logan ensures better sales, though. So my gray-haired boy is most likely relegated to ancillary status for the foreseeable future. A prominent supporting character, but a supporting one nonetheless in the X-line. Not a core cast member/player in the mutant world.

The last time Cable was “core” to the X-line and deeply embedded in the present day happenings, he had ditched the shoulder pads for a more streamlined look…

I’ve already pre-ordered this bad boy as he reminds me of better days for Nathan Summers the Askani’son.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 02-23-2024 at 07:51 PM.

It's fun when an X-character tangles with a non X-villain.

Also there's just something amusing about how Kid Cable is already out.

Yes, Kid Cable forced into silence is a blessing. Makes the read far better than the first issue already.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-