Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default just how powerful are Quasar and Nova anyway?

so i was wondering how powerful are Nova Richard Ryder and Quasar are? are they cosmic powerful like the comics Carol Danvers Captain Marvel or what?

Now that popularity = power, they'll probably never get portrayed as powerful as Carol.
    But Quasar should be.
    Nova, it depends of what amount of the Nova Force he has that day of the week.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Incredible Member

Nova has faced off against Annihilus, Gladiator-type character, and Thanos. He won the first two fights with strategy, but his powers didn't do significant damage. He and Starlord with a cosmic cube were essentially able to stalemate Thanos.

It depends how powerful you think these bad guys are. And additionally, this is Richard with full power.

Currently, I believe he has less power, and when he faced off against Zeus he was beaten pretty badly.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Nova is a beast when written correctly (a sad rariety at Marvel these day)

Quasar I'd say it depends who has the bands and how well they can use them. Wendell is currently an energy being, so that changes his status/abilities somewhat

Nova, like others have said, depends how much of the "nova force" a corpsman has at any given time. when Rich was the only Nova, it amped him up to probably at least Danvers' levels... when it's divided among many of them, none of them get that much of it

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Nova is a beast when written correctly (a sad rarity at Marvel these day)

https://i.redd.it/8bgugg2uf2d31.jpg
    Hell, yeah! I mean, talk about untapped potential (LOL):
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Quasar is very strong and has done a lot of crazy stuff, cosmic awareness, green lantern style powers, and a lot of random cosmic feats that in his run. Plus Avril, the new one got a lot of wank when she was created, she killed/teleported the entire chitari army which was "bigger than the annihilation wave" and blasted that barrier that life bringer galactus claimed was too strong even for him. A lot of crazy stuff.

Nova is a bit of odd one, at the height of Nova prime power with all the force behind he was low end herald I guess, he got styled on by Surfer but beat the crap out of Annihilus and took down Sphinx. It should be noted that apparently Rich is kinda crappy at using the Nova force and his brother with just the usual fraction that Centerions get had a lot more finesse and was able to stall Xenith a Strontian for quite a bit of time. So in Theory Rich could get much stronger. That being said I think he got nerf when after the cancer zone thing

Carol has a weird case of being called one of if not the strongest person on the planet in a lot of recent runs but she still doesn't flex in other books like that. So I don't know if they would perform well against her or not.
    Last edited by mung; 02-24-2024 at 01:23 PM.

I can't go into the exacts of it, but when written correctly, these two should give someone like the Silver Surfer, a reason to be concerned.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'm still trying to get a good grasp of whether the Nova Force is a separate energy force, or merely a reflection of the collective psionic energies and knowledge amassed by the Xandarian Worldmind, but Nova is supposed to be probably as powerful as the Sphinx when he absorbed all of the knowledge of said worldmind, minus whatever power the Ka Stone endows (which by itself is still fairly considerable). To my mind that puts the Nova Prime several steps below a fully fed Galactus, but above a Herald of Galactus. Some say the Nova Force is "nigh omnipotent", but I've yet to see anything approaching that level of power. I mean there's a reason why the planet was blown to bits and never fully restored, even though they had the worldmind at their command.

As for Quasar, there's quite a bit that gets conflated with "power" when it comes to him. At the end of the day, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn) was still human. The Quantum Bands endowed him with an incredible amount of energy manipulative abilities -- many of which were blown way out of proportion in his series, like the ability to negate psionic energies. My understanding, however, is that the Quantum Bands function like Green Lantern rings. The wielder determines what an individual can achieve with them. Wendell, like the Silver Surfer, was probably one of the more adept wielders of the Quantum Bands. Given that many previous QB wielders have died, it's likely that not everyone who wore them was able to maximize their true potential.

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    so i was wondering how powerful are Nova Richard Ryder and Quasar are? are they cosmic powerful like the comics Carol Danvers Captain Marvel or what?
    The way I see it...
    1) Quasar
    2) Nova and Captain Marvel greatly depends on the energy at their disposal. Carol is general stronger (lifting 200+ tons), while Richard is faster.

At least that's the way I see it.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

During the annihilation even, Annhilus said Nova (at full strength) was more powerful than Quasar. The bug man can sense power in the form of lights. He mentioned that though Quasar was a bright light, the Nova force was brighter - or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    Quasar I'd say it depends who has the bands and how well they can use them. Wendell is currently an energy being, so that changes his status/abilities somewhat

Nova, like others have said, depends how much of the "nova force" a corpsman has at any given time. when Rich was the only Nova, it amped him up to probably at least Danvers' levels... when it's divided among many of them, none of them get that much of it
    You have to remember that the Nova Force is almost an unlimited source of energy. So even divided up it probably doesn't dent the Nova Primes levels too much.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    There's an Avengers story called Operation: Galactic Storm. In it Quasar comes to blows with Carol in her Binary form. Quasar quite easily shunts away her attacks, rendering them moot against him. Later in the story Carol outperforms Quasar when it comes with dealing with a star going haywire, I don't remember the details but I think she opens up a bigger worm hole to deal with all the excess energy.

Sounds like they're both pretty damn powerful. Why are they on Marvel's bench? Put them on the Avengers! Or better yet, have Richard and Wendell in a book together. The Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday of deep space!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Sounds like they're both pretty damn powerful. Why are they on Marvel's bench? Put them on the Avengers! Or better yet, have Richard and Wendell in a book together. The Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday of deep space!
    Perhaps. Although...

Marvel's problem is that there really isn't sufficient differentiation between these "all powerful" types. Everyone's cosmic level-based powers are pretty much the same deal, albeit with varying ceilings and floors. It can get pretty boring pretty fast if you put them all on the same team -- or even 2-3 of them on the same team. Ewing did that with Ultimates, and I thought it was a mistake having Monica Rambeau, Adam Brashear and Carol on the same team, especially when Carol needed Adam or Monica around to boost her up to Binary level so that she could keep pace with the thoroughbreds. Maybe if Ewing had emphasized a bit more that Monica has the energy-based mastery, Adam has the antimatter/molecular based mastery and Carol/Binary was the heat/gravity-based mastery, but we never really got that -- and Carol wound up stealing the stage from the other two, even though she came in riding their coattails.

Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't mind seeing Nova and Quasar on the same team. But the writer should be careful to have them contribute in different ways. Otherwise, it will turn out like those Thor-fests where everyone has a hammer and lightning bolts and strength and pretty much use all of those powers the exact same way with almost the same exact temperament. It turns into one big yawn.