Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The JSA appearing first diminishes Superman's importance, plus historically Superman DID appear first. The JSA belongs on its own world, where they could be top dogs The Society existing alongside the Leaguealso waters down the importance of the league. Pre-Crisis was the best setup, place them on seperate Earths.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    No thanks, no thanks at all.

Superman should be the first superhero, and the League the first organized group of heroes. Having a team in the 40s is hookey. Now a whole Earth where that stuff is happening? Sure. An out of continuity book about the JSA during the war? Great. Not in the main DCU though, it doesn't fit and it honestly never really did (unless guys like Superman and Batman were around then, but we're in 2014 now).
    I never liked Superman and the League appearing after the Society. It diminishes their importance and makes the League just another team. It basically reduces the League to the Teen Titans, as them being a secondary generation and not the original generation of heroes. I don't quite get why JSA fans always want the Society crammed into the main continuity. You could have the legacey angle without a cluttered Earth. Roy Thomas really ramped up the legacy angle in the early 80s with his Earth-Two worldbuilding in Infinity Inc. That was pre-Crisis and it didn't have the restrictions that the clutter-Earth had.

No. What should and hopefully will happen is to build upon the current Earth 2, which despite the ball being dropped a few times, still has all the potential in the world. Focus primarily on characters NOT Superman and Batman, and treat the world itself as a character, teaching readers about this parallel world with subtle differences, and you have a winner.

A few months ago my answer would have been no, but I think it will, considering the World's End news and all that. But with time I've become less worried Earth 2 is in for a major overhaul. Its still possible of course, I just don't think that's going to happen.

BANNED

No.

I loved the JSA in the previous universe. But this is a new continuity, and I am fine with DC having moved past it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    The JSA appearing first diminishes Superman's importance
    And what's wrong with that? Superman is a great character. He'll survive not being the first and frankly, I have yet to read a single story where treating him as the first hero has really been used to any major extent. There are plenty of Post-Crisis stories that have him being as great of an inspiration as any Pre-Crisis or New 52 has done with him being the first.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Much as I loved the original JSA and the concept of heroes who were in action back during the days of WWII, I think I'd have to vote no.

It's not that I don't want it to happen . . . I just don't trust DC to handle it properly.
    My sentiments exactly.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

They should have just rebooted the JSA as the precursors too the Justice League with possibly Batman/Wonder Woman/Superman having been members later on in its existence.

There shouldn't be any precursor to the Justice League. The Justice League and the Justice Society belong on separate Earths. Its just so much cleaner. The story of Earth 2 aside for a moment, whatever you may think of that, DC got this right by giving the Golden Agers (outside of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, whom by their name power and legacy will always go where the "main" Earth is) their own world again.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-09-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Love the idea, would love it even more if they style the character and write them in a more "golden age" style. The JSA was always a great legacy part of DC comics and that tradition should continue. DC honoring their own history would be well worth it. Here Here.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

So if the JSA existed that means I have to buy into Mr. Terrific and Liberty Belle existing before Batman and Superman?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    They should have just rebooted the JSA as the precursors too the Justice League with possibly Batman/Wonder Woman/Superman having been members later on in its existence.
    I think the problem some people here are having with that is that it makes Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman into simple heroes, instead of the progenitors of the superhero community. I know it was like that Post-Crisis, and I never really minded it really, but if DC wants to make Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman into the "Holy Trinity" of the superhero world (along with the rest of the Justice League) in the DC Universe, the concept is kind of watered down if there were other superheroes running around before them.

The pre-Crisis solution of the Justice League existing on Earth-1 and the JSA existing on Earth-2 was the best way to deal with the problem. DC should have never gotten rid of the Multiverse in that regard.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    The pre-Crisis solution of the Justice League existing on Earth-1 and the JSA existing on Earth-2 was the best way to deal with the problem. DC should have never gotten rid of the Multiverse in that regard.
    They should have never brought the not exactly a multiverse back in the first place, and if they were going to they should of never made Earth 2 set up a carbon copy setting of Earth Two, and if they were going to do all of that they shouldn't of killed off the original Superman Kal-L, and if they were going to kill off Kal-L they should have done a better job of it besides having him get the crap kicked out of him by a younger doppelganger! Bad show all around honestly.

The Post Crisis world was just fine with having the JSA as the originals in honor of the Golden Age stories they represented. They should be such again since it's obvious in general DC doesn't give a ticker damn about the Golden age Superman or Batman, they might as well honor the rest of the golden age heroes. That was one of the many thing the post crisis world got right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I think the problem some people here are having with that is that it makes Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman into simple heroes, instead of the progenitors of the superhero community. I know it was like that Post-Crisis, and I never really minded it really, but if DC wants to make Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman into the "Holy Trinity" of the superhero world (along with the rest of the Justice League) in the DC Universe, the concept is kind of watered down if there were other superheroes running around before them.
    They were still the "Holy Trinity" during the Post Crisis time period. Somehow have Jay Garrick around with his old world history didn't degrade from any of the originals. And the concept isn't "watered down" especially if it's DC honoring their own past specifically.
    Last edited by victorsage; 09-09-2014 at 09:02 PM.

What's all this BS about how the League SHOULD be first? It doesn't matter, because they weren't. JSA were the original superhero team. They were the template for JLA over a decade before their debut. So regardless of how you'd like things to be, that's simple not how they are. JSA came first and deserve way more respect then they've gotten as of late. No matter how many reboots occur, it doesn't erase history. Quit living in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    So if the JSA existed that means I have to buy into Mr. Terrific and Liberty Belle existing before Batman and Superman?
    Millard Fillmore and William Henry Harrison were Presidents before Abraham Lincoln. That doesn't mean Lincoln isn't view with any less reverence. You may like Superman being the first hero, but you're arguments don't have much merit.