Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I see that White Suit and all I can think is Emma wore it a thousand times better.

This is the illustrated comic book and It's like they're not even trying to tap into her actual heritage. She's a black woman who spent all of her formative years in Africa for Goddess' sake! Why is that so frakking difficult to get on the page?
    Not on the White Queen’s best day.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Correction.

Emma wouldn't even use those rags to wipe the floor far less wear something so tragically cheap and tacky.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-26-2024 at 09:46 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I see that White Suit and all I can think is Emma wore it a thousand times better.

This is the illustrated comic book and It's like they're not even trying to tap into her actual heritage. She's a black woman who spent all of her formative years in Africa for Goddess' sake! Why is that so frakking difficult to get on the page?
    Be careful before the contingent of Storm's fans who hold onto that one panel to prove she's "Not Black, but a mixture of all races" find this thread.

Fantastic Member

[UOTE]
    QUOTE=Uncanny X-Man;6735095]Jubilee certainly seems to appreciate Storm's new hairstyle more than Kitty did at the time [/Q

Kitty Pryde was way more of a brat than Jubilee was IMHO. In fairness, Jubilee was a homeless kid who had to fend for herself.
    Last edited by SturdyMike89; 02-26-2024 at 03:52 PM. Reason: screwed it up the first time

Correction.

Emma wouldn't even use those rags to wipe the floor far less wear something so tragically cheap and tacky.
    The suit itself is not that bad. It just has a "middle aged lawyer (not the sexy lawyer from the tv shows, obvs)" or a "madam senator" vibe. Which, for a young woman such as Ororo is... *cringe*.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    It's a damn shame that such basic line-work and coloring, especially with the ease of a drawing tablet, that something is released with messy lines. They couldn't even be bothered to color in the lines. And they're making us pay for this.

And no, this look ain't it.

You're drawing STORM here, not Soft-Serve.
    I'm quoting myself over here too. If you're going to do this flat art and call it a stylistic choice, which I can accept if done properly, you need to make sure every single panel is extremely clean. The fact that we can see line overlap, we can see coloring outside of the lines - it's embarrassing, and distracting.

Aside from that, looks like it could be fun, though I admit I hope it's short lived.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

I think everything looks really great except Storm. Not loving any of the choices they made for her. Still looks fun. Excited for the show too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    The suit itself is not that bad. It just has a "middle aged lawyer (not the sexy lawyer from the tv shows, obvs)" or a "madam senator" vibe. Which, for a young woman such as Ororo is... *cringe*.
    The 90's had their usual decade based "crimes against fashion", but many would likely argue that looking boring is worse.

Fantastic Member

I can't help but think they better have a seriously good reason for Storm going to this horrible overdone hair style lol. Like maybe Pyro burned off some of her hair in a fight? LOL!

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    X-Men 97 is like, hands down the worst hair Storm has ever had. It looks like a scoop of ice cream sitting on top of her head. It doesn't give goddess, it doesn't give punk, it doesn't give glam. I hate it!
    Storm was never punk. You'd never see her in some dingy So-Cal venue throwing herself against a bunch of sweaty lugs in the pit while Black Flag was going nuts on the stage. Complete appropriation. She never got grindier than modeling in a George Michael video. POOOOOOSER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Storm was never punk. You'd never see her in some dingy So-Cal venue throwing herself against a bunch of sweaty lugs in the pit while Black Flag was going nuts on the stage. Complete appropriation. She never got grindier than modeling in a George Michael video. POOOOOOSER!
    Which is kind of fitting, seeing how (if memory serves) the "typical" british punk fashion was created by Vivienne Westwood, popularized fairly quickly and appropriated by other designers for their runway shows, becomming commercialized and uniform to the point of entering mainstream, with elements even adopted in the outfits of pop musicians.

So in a way, it could certainly be argued that Storm didn't become "punk" as much as she got a shrill makeover which incorperated the commercialized elements of punk fashion.

If anything of the above was incorrect assumptions, corrections are welcome.
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-28-2024 at 10:51 AM.

Don't know if the timing make sense, but I always though Ororo's punk makeover was related in some way with Grace Jones?
    Is it only me?
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Don't know if the timing make sense, but I always though Ororo's punk makeover was related in some way with Grace Jones?
    Is it only me?
    No, it wasn't. The Grace Jones connection had to do with the initial design template/idea for Dazzler. Storm's punk aesthetic was a deliberate plot design/concept/joke between Claremont and Paul Smith taken too far. But which ultimately worked eventhough it had its numerous detractors back then.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Which is kind of fitting, seeing how (if memory serves) the "typical" british punk fashion was created by Vivienne Westwood, popularized fairly quickly and appropriated by other designers for their runway shows, becomming commercialized and uniform to the point of entering mainstream, with elements even adopted in the outfits of pop musicians.

So in a way, it could certainly be argued that Storm didn't become "punk" as much as she got a shrill makeover which incorperated the commercialized elements of punk fashion.

If anything of the above was incorrect assumptions, corrections are welcome.
    Was thinking pretty much exactly this tbh. Maybe a fair bit of the NYC Ramones/Lou Reed/Alan Vega leather punk look going on in there too, appropriately enough.

Yes...she adopted (was given) the Punk aesthetic. As it was meant to be purely representational not literal. She herself obviously wasn't Punk in the truest. anarchist sense of the word. Although her demeanour, was more edgy and a little hard-core her rebellion was against her repressed inner self not the world around her.