Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The general audience might not know, but the canon supports it 100%, so they(the studio/show) would at least have a leg to stand on, unlike with Morph. And I think general audiences are already more interested in Mystique, and being a female-presenting femme fatale would make the gender identity more, let's say palatable. A spoon full of sugar and all that.

As for Mystique's moral ambiguity not being a great representative, I mean, Morph died in the first arc and came back as a villain, then went into retirement suffering from PTSD, so it's not like he was a top tier moral or heroic paragon to begin with.

They! you have forgotten to use Morph's correct pronouns in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    They! you have forgotten to use Morph's correct pronouns in your post.
    I am referring to Morph as a he because the character was a man and referred to as such in the original run of the show. When '97 comes out and I talk about the character in that show, I can reassess the situation.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I don't recall that we ever saw 616 Morph without his ugly helmet. I remember finding out that TAS Morph wasn't an original character but am alternate reality of Changeling and when I saw a drawing of Changeling, I was surprised that these two characters are the same because they looked so different.
    TAS Morph literally has 616 Changeling's face.

I am referring to Morph as a he because the character was a man and referred to as such in the original run of the show. When '97 comes out and I talk about the character in that show, I can reassess the situation.
    if you say so. so disappointing....

There is nothing disappointing with acknowledging the canon history of X-Men TAS. When X-Men '97 comes out, we can discuss that show and its characters. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't speak on it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I'm not talking about Changeling. Morph and him are basically two different characters at this point XD
    I'm talking about Bendis's character, Benjamin Deeds I think ? A young metamorph who joined Cyclops's team and then was in Generation X. He's 616 Morph/
    I wasn't aware that there was another Morph in the 616.

Astonishing Member

TAS Morph literally has 616 Changeling's face.

Good find. I stand corrected.

Are they going to Resurrect Changeling, Petra, and Sway? Three official X-Men who were never resurrected for Krakoa.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Are they going to Resurrect Changeling, Petra, and Sway? Three official X-Men who were never resurrected for Krakoa.
    They were ressurected all three. We saw Changeling on splash pages, and Petra and Sway ressurection was discussed when it was revealed the version we saw earlier were Vulcan's creations.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I can see the point you're trying to make.

It is similar to the idea of movies having terrorist played by any brown skinned actor; having the Asian character be identified as the other (even if they are portrayed as being very cool, or very attractive, they are still treated as Other than the average 'white' character), or having the Black actor play the role of a Judge or Police Captain (although it is a position of authority, it is still a role where they are defined by 'angry lecturing').

Even though these are all forms of representation (which is important), it is still a type of representation that reinforces stereotypes.
    Not exactly what I mean or intend but yes it is very similar

BUT .... I don't think your posts are coming off quite how you think they are, and typically the arguments of "use an original character instead of changing a pre-existing character" are very much bad faith arguments. These arguments are typically ways to get rid of any representation whatsoever, as opposed to actually meaning they want an original representative character.
    I would argue that is how some are choosing to take it. The atmosphere on the board that any disagreement on topics like this is seen as the opposition. And more often than not its opposite that happens where the person making the disagreement is getting silenced.

Even the idea of “getting rid of any representation” is a view point such as small few would even have in today’s world and they hold so little sway that the needle isn’t going to move in their direction at all.

Yes, in a perfect world, Original characters are the best. But we are not in a perfect world. Pre-existing IP is easier to get green-lit than original IP; adapting pre-existing characters is easier than coming up with original characters.

Look at the current Krakoan era. Despite being a huge, transformational comic book story, there are pretty much no original characters aside from the random Arrako mutants (where, aside from books written by Ewing, they don't get the spotlight or a chance to develop at all).

For most people making this argument, they are either arguing for (1) Original character/project that won't ever exist based on financial/creative decisions or (2) Original character that will fail and be canceled after two issues.
    I understand that you believe that but Ms. Marvel proves this to be completely incorrect. The character has had reportedly the lowest Disney + viewing, Among the lowest movie sales, repeated canceled titles, and is still some how made it on to the X-Men, getting a solo series, and will more then likely star in any Young Avengers tv/movie project they come out with. I am not saying she doesn’t have fans but looking at purely a numbers metric she shows that Marvel/ the powers that be will push any character they want.

…Granted I believe Ms. Marvel’s continued presence at Marvel has more to do with Sana Amanat pay structure and/or position then it has anything to do with else but the point still stands.

Edit added
    The real reason new characters aren’t being used more can be summed up to 2 solid reasons in my opinion.

1. Marvel/DC has made the incentive of creating new IP so small that the risk is not worth it.
    2. The second half is that today’s writers don’t want to invest the time or effort it takes to build up a character. Deadpool would probably be Marvel’s most “successful”new character that wasn’t born out of the 60-70’s. But he really didn’t gain the steam of popularity until the 20’s . Things take time and the current team’s in the comic industry would rather either force stories with poor writing or lie about the character.

Edit again

Adding a third to this … It’s also fan’s fault because if we really wanted to push for Marvel/DC to make new characters we could do more to make it known and in some ways force their hand to make it happen. But instead we take the Bad representation that they give us, which in return divides the fanbase and in the end leads to fewer and fewer readers.

Western super hero comics is one of the few genres that is fueled by community. When that community is broken…well the results are speaking for themselves .
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-07-2024 at 09:31 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Incredible Member

Northstar was the token queer or YEARS before Iceman came out. However he still has appeared A LOT over the Karoka age. He definitely is a token queer character.
    Last edited by dragon1440; 03-07-2024 at 09:28 AM.

Incredible Member

This shows your understanding is very much lacking on this subject. Either that or your just a queerphobic jerk. He was never a man, he just was not out. A nonbinary person is always nonbinary, and thus once they are out of the closet you should use correct pronouns, even retroactively or talking about their past. As a nonbinary person myself I feel great knowing that they are trying to be more diverse. Your comment just made me sick and is perfect example of the worlds attitudes. PRONOUNS ARE IMPORTANT.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Not exactly what I mean or intend but yes it is very similar

I would argue that is how some are choosing to take it. The atmosphere on the board that any disagreement on topics like this is seen as the opposition. And more often than not its opposite that happens where the person making the disagreement is getting silence.
    There is a difference between opinions and morals. And I find that most of the board members, even before this thread, are hateful and morally worse then Sinister. At least he is queer supporting.

I find it hysterical that Kevin all of a sudden has all these fans. 16 pages now in less than a month.

Who else on these boards except me has been clamoring for Changeling to return??

Now that Changeling/Morph might be non-binary everyone is pretending that they gave a damn about the character.

I don’t give a rat’s as what pronouns this fictional character wants to use. Just bring them back in the 616.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Can’t speak for everyone but you can go into my history to see how many times I have brought up Exiles Morph.

But it also shouldn’t matter. The same could be said that it’s hysterical that there are so many trying to detract the conversation on the forum, on a character that is suppose to have so little importance in their mind. Not adding to conversation at all but willing to jest at those who are trying to discuss. Pendulum swings both ways.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.