Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Is this going to be the new "Iceman is not gay and I don't want to understand what coming out means" ?
    Doubt it. But the vibe is often such that a compelling story couldn’t be told about a new character coming out. Or more importantly a character who’s main focus is being a hero who just so happen to come out somewhere in the story.

The overall vibe of the market , currently at least, is “we do not give a beep” just give us good entertainment.

I’m willing to bet if the showrunner/witer/whoever that guy was had never outed Morph before the show aired, more eye balls would go to the show. Which in return would have given it a fair shot. Now the show is tainted and a section of the audience isn’t going to bother with it all.

Those saying “well Morph is mid low tier player anyway and it probably won’t affect the show” the question then becomes ok…”then why did you go out of the way to bring up at all” and/or “what purpose did it serve outside of you patting yourself on the back and/or trying to cause buzz for the show, that has bitten so many in the butt in the past?”

Shrug I don’t know…again maybe I am just worn out by the negativity.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-25-2024 at 10:48 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Personally, the more it goes on the more I am put off by retconning diversity on to characters. All it really seems to be doing is dividing the current fan base, causing unnecessarily controversy, and in most cases sets off the downfall of the property.

In the past …what 8-10 years…(?)… of retcon diversity I can’t think of one that is truly “beloved” or that is making substantial amount of money to keep that project going.

I use to be in the camp of “ let’s try a few and see how it goes” . Now I am so worn out by about the immediate feeling of negativity going into a movie, tv show, and now some comics (my last stronghold) that I am buying less and less of things I use to love just to keep my energy clean.

It’s a shame because properties like X-Men 97’ should be an easy slam dunk. They could literally replay the last track add in a some new players to cover the diversity bases and everyone would be, in general, happy. But if more negativity comes out about the show, just based off of recent trends, it will bomb before it gets off the ground.

And I already know some are going to take that last line as bait to say “ Well they’re just bigots” or some other dismissive comment but at the end of the day if properties we love fail we all lose.
    With all that's going on in the big two companies this is the lowest point for me in terms of quality and content. I can unfortunately see both companies eventually stop producing monthlies. All these new fans aren't coming and too many old fans are leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, X-Men has SOOO many characters with all sorts of identities... why change the ones that are already established when you can use one of the less often seen ones for that role in the story?
    Because good storytelling develops and evolves characters just as real people develop and evolve.

Yeah, X-Men has SOOO many characters with all sorts of identities... why change the ones that are already established when you can use one of the less often seen ones for that role in the story?
    Morph IS a “less often seen” character, though…

And if anyone thinks that retconning “established” characters as trans/queer/enby is the deal breaker for the vocal people that don’t want these types of characters in their entertainment, then I got a plot of good land to sell you.

Those. People. Do. Not. Want. Trans/Queer/Enby. Characters. At. All.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 02-25-2024 at 12:48 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post

And if anyone thinks that retconning “established” characters as trans/queer/enby is the deal breaker for the vocal people that don’t want these types of characters in their entertainment, then I got a plot of good land to sell you.

Exactly.

Even if it was a brand-new character that was non-binary, the reaction would have been the same.

Some people have decided that 2SLGBTIQ people are not to be seen anymore.

Morph being non-binary isn't really a big deal IMHO. It doesn't change the story one way or the other.

Seriously, there are 40+ year old men (in the case of Nerdrotic, a 50+ year old man ) screaming about pronouns in video games. For a lot of people, it's not about the "culture war", its just about their personal tastes.

9 episodes out of 76 sure seems like a "lesser used character" to me as well.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Because good storytelling develops and evolves characters just as real people develop and evolve.
    That's the moral of the story.

/thread.

Astonishing Member

Doom Patrol made it to 4 seasons. So will Umbrella Academy. Gen V got great ratings and will get a second season. Not everyone dislikes LGBTQIA+ content.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Doom Patrol made it to 4 seasons. So will Umbrella Academy. Gen V got great ratings and will get a second season. Not everyone dislikes LGBTQIA+ content.
    You’re right. Things do persist and thrive despite the backlash they often receive.

This too shall pass.

Ultimate Member

THANK YOU.

TRUE but WHY is it an issue HERE with a very very very minor character???

Ultimate Member

You’re right. Things do persist and thrive despite the backlash they often receive.

This too shall pass.
    Bunch has nailed it.

People will always complain but a lot of us will watch it.

However, the complaints do get a bit grating. I'm not even in favor of changing established characters but this particular change isn't really significant to me in any way shape or form. Now, if we had a Wolverine/Cyclops relationship....
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-25-2024 at 05:24 PM.

Most of these are good examples of shows that didn’t advertise their diversity or “switch/change/evolve” a character into something they weren’t before. Gen V is also a good example of new characters exploring the very concepts we’re talking about now. Can’t have much backlash if nothing was really in its place before.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Ultimate Member

Because you are at the MERCY of the folks who OWN the property.

It is not the show runners who chose the cast but the OWNERS of the property or WHOEVER is paying for the show.

Example?

Static Shock. Warner Brothers FIRST question to the owners of Milestone was "Can Static be WHITE?"
    When that failed it was "Get rid of Static's father. He can not come from a two parent home."
    Richie can not be gay on the show like he is in comics.
    Frieda can not be the sidekick like she was in comics. So we can't hint at a relationship since she becomes his wife in the end.

So while all of us HERE would have no issues with the cartoon using actual characters who are trans or non-binary because it actually makes SENSE. The studios still have the final word.

Take into account of the fact Morph had something Escapade does NOT have-already established toy molds set to the show for the eventual figures that will get made. Morph is already in that merchandise.

So there is not much in terms of new they have to do.

But if more negativity comes out about the show, just based off of recent trends, it will bomb before it gets off the ground.
    The show has been renewed for a season 2. With this being animation-they have already started on that season because the animation part takes anywhere from 6 months to 1 year.

So we are getting at least 20 episodes.

Also if someone with a brain cell at Marvel realizes the pushback is over a guy that is so minor-common sense would say it's not from fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Most of these are good examples of shows that didn’t advertise their diversity or “switch/change/evolve” a character into something they weren’t before. Gen V is also a good example of new characters exploring the very concepts we’re talking about now. Can’t have much backlash if nothing was really in its place before.
    Umbrella Academy literally had a character transition from one gender to another.

And why is advertising diversity a bad thing?

Oh, 'cause it pisses off a certain politically leaning demographic. As said multiple times already: $&*% them.

Advertising diversity is neither violent, hateful, nor angry. But their response to it often is.

Incredible Member

Umbrella Academy literally had a character transition from one gender to another.

And why is advertising diversity a bad thing?

Oh, 'cause it pisses off a certain politically leaning demographic. As said multiple times already: $&*% them.

Advertising diversity is neither violent, hateful, nor angry. But their response to it often is.
    The studio was sorta forced to or lose one of the main cast once they came out of the closet. I wouldnt say that is studio being progressive, but just saving their butts and $$$$.