Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

The X-Men '97 thread is getting bogged down by the constant Morph chatter, so here's a thread for all your CIVIL Morph discussions. KEEP IT CIVIL. Any hate speech or anti-nonbinary chatter will be deleted and likely lead to bans. CBR stands with the LGBT & queer community. If you don't like Morph being non-binary, find CIVIL and RESPECTFUL ways to express your opinion.

Default Morph in X-Men '97 (possible spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    this post, or part of a post, deserves some focus and I think is what some of you are missing in this conversation

all of the 'both sides' or 'opposing viewpoints' or 'fighting fire with fire' you are all missing the point expressed above, some views are not worth listening to, some views are not worth giving attention or consideration

and when you defend those hateful views, you give validation to them, you encourage the people who believe in those hateful views to continue sharing them, and embolden them to share those hateful views publicly, which only further endangers already marginalized people

this is why inclusion is actually a good thing, even when it's just one character in a cartoon who happens to be non binary
    I've been lurking and reading and gotta say, some of these posts are very much like the "So much for the tolerant Left" meme with Cap punching Red Skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    this post, or part of a post, deserves some focus and I think is what some of you are missing in this conversation

all of the 'both sides' or 'opposing viewpoints' or 'fighting fire with fire' you are all missing the point expressed above, some views are not worth listening to, some views are not worth giving attention or consideration

and when you defend those hateful views, you give validation to them, you encourage the people who believe in those hateful views to continue sharing them, and embolden them to share those hateful views publicly, which only further endangers already marginalized people

this is why inclusion is actually a good thing, even when it's just one character in a cartoon who happens to be non binary
    Again, sanitized words are on purpose and supposed to help with communication. You shouldn't consume or be forced to hear hurtful rhetoric it if it is affecting you, but learn to separate the words from the person. There are many people who come from backgrounds where they get fed narratives that they later learn were toxic. Recognizing a cycle of abuse is a process, hurling more abuse and alienation isn't helping.

That said, if all that person is doing is being hurtful, toxic, and not at all being willing to communicate then yes, ignore them, don't give them the time of day and defend yourself if they ever become aggressive. We're mostly talking about the people who parrot off points or stubbornly stick to rhetoric they've heard from people around them, who actually haven't really tried to self-reflect on their own ideas and where there is hope or potential for change.

It's not your responsibility to "fix" these people or listen to them if you don't want to, because it can be very exhausting, I just think if you actually do want to be a force of change that isn't the way to do it. There's a reason people look to inspirational leaders like Martin Lurther King or Ghandi (who were not at all perfect people, if you look deeper into their history) who had these type of images and proposed less aggressive methods of trying to get change to come about then the alternatives.

And I don't see how saying, don't fight fire with fire, means you are giving anyone validation. At best, it's saying, don't stoop to their level. There's a reason why modern corrective practices, medicine and mental health professionals have all mostly moved away from a punishment-seeking perspective in order to treat societal concerns. And it's usually not any healthier for victims either.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby
    I've been lurking and reading and gotta say, some of these posts are very much like the "So much for the tolerant Left" meme with Cap punching Red Skull.
    If that is impression you are getting from the conversation, then I apologize for not expressing myself better. That is not at all the message I am trying to communicate.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 02-21-2024 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    If that is impression you are getting from the conversation, then I apologize for not expressing myself better. That is not at all the message I am trying to communicate.
    Understood. But then you have posts like this:

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, it's not "tolerance" if you only "tolerate" people you like.
    and it's pretty much the meme come to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm thinking the idea might be, reach out to those you can. Not everyone who espouses hate is irredeemable, but some value their hate more than even their own lives. It's a fuzzy line to figure out who can be reached and who you shouldn't bother even considering reaching out towards - especially since the patience of the person doing the reaching out varies based on who it is. I don't have the answers here, so I can't tell you who you should be more considerate of and who should be shut down (not only do I not know YOU very well, I don't know the THEM you are dealing with in the least).
    You hit it. It comes down to patience and what you're basically asking is that those who have constantly been put upon to take the burden of swallowing their (justified) feelings and having to be the bigger person. And speaking as a 47 year old black man, that ish gets VERY tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    You hit it. It comes down to patience and what you're basically asking is that those who have constantly been put upon to take the burden of swallowing their (justified) feelings and having to be the bigger person. And speaking as a 47 year old black man, that ish gets VERY tiring.
    And just to add, as a 33 year old black man, you know what else gets tiring? Seeing other people butcher and bleach the meaning of ‘woke’.

It’s annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    And just to add, as a 33 year old black man, you know what else gets tiring? Seeing other people butcher and bleach the meaning of ‘woke’.

It’s annoying.
    Oh for sure lol but then, appropriating and redefining our culture is par for the course smh

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Understood. But then you have posts like this:

and it's pretty much the meme come to life.
    To give them the benefit of the doubt, they probably just didn't word themselves the best. I doubt they meant we should pardon or forgive literal war criminals. Trying to be hopeful that people can change is one thing, but there are definitely people who can't or shouldn't be reasoned with as Maine Starfish pointed out.

I just think it's a smaller percentage than we think, even if we see many of those people spewing a ton of vitriol on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby
    It does very much suck, I can empathize as a person of color myself. But unfortunately I think that's one of the only ways to actually see change. Otherwise, it's just more fighting.

Social media creating a ton of echo chambers isn't helping though and that's another hurdle mental health and other medical spheres need to adapt in regards to getting people to self-reflect.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    To give them the benefit of the doubt, they probably just didn't word themselves the best. I doubt they meant we should pardon or forgive literal war criminals. Trying to be hopeful that people can change is one thing, but there are definitely people who can't or shouldn't be reasoned with as Maine Starfish pointed out.

I just think it's a smaller percentage than we think, even if we see many of those people spewing a ton of vitriol on social media.

It does very much suck, I can empathize as a person of color myself. But unfortunately I think that's one of the only ways to actually see change. Otherwise, it's just more fighting.

Social media creating a ton of echo chambers isn't helping though and that's another hurdle mental health and other medical spheres need to adapt in regards to getting people to self-reflect.
    Personally, I'm tired of giving them the "benefit of the doubt." We've been doing it for decades now and there's more than enough info out for them to educate themselves, if they really cared. But they don't.

BANNED

And then you have "woke" types who try to suppress everything they dislike. "You disagree with us, therefore you're bad and not allowed to share your opinion!"

But yeah that kinda works alongside the "oppressor" thing a lot of the time. The ranting on social media is all about competing for dominance.
    Weak attempt at gaslighting.

"Why can't I just share my innocent opinion that lgbtq people and non-whites are bad????? Wokeeeeeee oppressors!!!!!!!"

This is just really dumb but maliciously intentional concern-trolling.

And then you have "woke" types who try to suppress everything they dislike. "You disagree with us, therefore you're bad and not allowed to share your opinion!"
    Yeah. Hate when those "woke" X-Men try to say Orchis are bad and suppress their opinions just because they disagree with them.

Astonishing Member

And no one involved in this conversion has any murder bots or is attempting to build any.

Related note, but back to the cartoon, I hadn’t heard that quote from DeMayo that they weren’t going to use the phrase non-binary, because it wasn’t a phrase that was really used in the nineties. Are they actually setting this in ‘97’? I know that’s the title and when the original ended, but I figured they would be subtlety ‘updating’ it like they updated the animation, etc.. Has anyone heard any thing more about that?

And on the other side, you have the self-proclaimed “anti-woke” crowd, who are always sooooooo respectful and tolerant towards those with different opinions and beliefs. They NEVER attempt to suppress or censor anyone…
    Last edited by Dipter; 02-21-2024 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    And on the other side, you have the self-proclaimed “anti-woke” crowd, who are always sooooooo respectful and tolerant towards those with different opinions and beliefs. They NEVER attempt to suppress or censor anyone…
    I saw a YouTube reviewer call it "wokespotting", the art of picking apart everything to make it sound like it's cramming stuff down your throat (even though nobody is forcing people to watch or read it) and railing against it. But seen through the lens of looking for stuff to hate, you'll always find it.

Let's try one - trained soldiers get killed off by monster until civilian woman steps in, succeeding where all those highly trained men failed. Wooooke! That was Aliens, but you can make nearly anything fit the wokespotting narrative.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Weak attempt at gaslighting.

"Why can't I just share my innocent opinion that lgbtq people and non-whites are bad????? Wokeeeeeee oppressors!!!!!!!"

This is just really dumb but maliciously intentional concern-trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah. Hate when those "woke" X-Men try to say Orchis are bad and suppress their opinions just because they disagree with them.
    Thank you both for so eloquently demonstrating my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    And no one involved in this conversion has any murder bots or is attempting to build any.
    Yeah, this hits it out of the park.^