Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    this post, or part of a post, deserves some focus and I think is what some of you are missing in this conversation

all of the 'both sides' or 'opposing viewpoints' or 'fighting fire with fire' you are all missing the point expressed above, some views are not worth listening to, some views are not worth giving attention or consideration

and when you defend those hateful views, you give validation to them, you encourage the people who believe in those hateful views to continue sharing them, and embolden them to share those hateful views publicly, which only further endangers already marginalized people

this is why inclusion is actually a good thing, even when it's just one character in a cartoon who happens to be non binary
    But what constitutes a 'view that's worth not listening to'? What's the threshold for that?

Personally, I regard myself as a liberal, and as a believer in an individual's inalienable right to freedom and dignity. It obviously can't be 100% perfect, but its the ideal towards which every society should strive.

But let us consider some of the views which have been regarded as 'not worth listening to', to put it in your terms, in the recent past?

Expressing the belief that biological sex is immutable (a belief which has a solid grounding in scientific fact), for instance, is something which has become so taboo across the Western world, that people have lost their jobs and reputations over it. Speaking out against the idea of exposing pre-schoolers to the idea that they can change their gender identity gets you labelled as a bigot and a transphobe, which is supposed to shut down all discussion.

Right now, certain ideological biases of Google's Gemini AI algorithms are all over the news - a few short years ago, pointing them out would have led to you being branded a racist. Its a testament to how much the tide has turned that Google's busy issuing apologies today instead, and promising to fix their algorithms.

So I think this whole debate about Morph is really part of the pushback against this kind of thing. Personally, I couldn't care less if Morph is non-binary or not...though I am a bit skeptical of this idea that shapeshifters all do not have any gender identity or sexual orientation becase of the nature of their powers.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    But what constitutes a 'view that's worth not listening to'? What's the threshold for that?
    Anything that says a group of people don't deserve the same as everyone else. It's very simple.

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

yes, what Nyssane and Kitty&Piotr<3 said

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Personally, I couldn't care less if Morph is non-binary or not...though I am a bit skeptical of this idea that shapeshifters all do not have any gender identity or sexual orientation because of the nature of their powers.
    This is why I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape for Morph to be non-binary. Morph and Mystique for example can be whatever they what so non-binary fits their power set. They are both or neither. It is whatever they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogster113 View Post
    This is why I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape for Morph to be non-binary. Morph and Mystique for example can be whatever they what so non-binary fits their power set. They are both or neither. It is whatever they choose.
    Because Morph was written as a straight male before. It IS changing the character.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Because Morph was written as a straight male before. It IS changing the character.
    I will say two points to this and then I will step off my soap box. One, I do not believe that Morph's gender or sexuality were ever addressed in the original series. Two, it was the early 90's when this show originally aired. There were a lot of things that could/would not be shown on TV. A non-binary character on a children's cartoon would be one of those. So even if that was the original intent (like Mystique and Destiny being Nightcrawler's parents in the 80's) they could not have shown it. Things change. Creators take characters in new directions. What should matter is if the story is good and entertaining.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    When he was being manipulated by Mr. Sinister, didn't he turn into Jean to get at Wolverine once?

Lets rewatch his episodes and assess whether he was portrayed as straight or not.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

In this episode, Morph changes into Jean and makes a pass at Wolverine, before taunting him with Jean's love for Cyclops.

https://youtu.be/dXn5FyO0ucc?si=46vOk_YAflVsQrKh

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    In this episode, Morph changes into Jean and makes a pass at Wolverine, before taunting him with Jean's love for Cyclops.

https://youtu.be/dXn5FyO0ucc?si=46vOk_YAflVsQrKh
    Mystique changed into Rogue and got Gambit to almost commit suicide by kissing Rogue. Who cares?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Mystique changed into Rogue and got Gambit to almost commit suicide by kissing Rogue. Who cares?
    That was Morph, not Mystique.

Clearly you cared enough to reply to it, so which is it gal.

Some of you are being really weird about this Morph thing. This is a character who appeared in 9 episodes of the original series, and they aren't fundamentally changing them at all. It absolutely makes sense for them to be nonbinary, and it also makes sense that they would more easily discover that after having their appearance change.

It's a fictional TV show that's making an effort to include people who might feel different which is what the X-men are about. Grow up, or don't watch. The show will be fine with or without you.

If this were X-Men '57 and the show were debuting in the 60's instead, we'd be debating whether or not Storm and Bishop, a black woman and man, should appear on the show, and being told that we need to just "see the other side to understand their opinion."

Bump that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    If this were X-Men '57 and the show were debuting in the 60's instead, we'd be debating whether or not Storm and Bishop, a black woman and man, should appear on the show, and being told that we need to just "see the other side to understand their opinion."

Bump that.
    You’ve hit the nail on the head. I agree.

I will never, in any life or in any universe, believe that a man who can literally change his body did not spend considerable time morphed into a person with breasts and a vagina.
    Mutant and Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    I will never, in any life or in any universe, believe that a man who can literally change his body did not spend considerable time morphed into a person with breasts and a vagina.
    Well... actually... that's a character defining thing. some fictional characters who shapeshift simply... don't like certain forms... so... it's possible for someone to just... not want to. "I don't like it" is a powerful motivation sometimes.