Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    If this were X-Men '57 and the show were debuting in the 60's instead, we'd be debating whether or not Storm and Bishop, a black woman and man, should appear on the show, and being told that we need to just "see the other side to understand their opinion."

Bump that.
    Nothing to understand Morph is a shapeshifter and can be whatever he wants to be. That includes women.

Same with Time Lords. The Master, Doctor and Rani have all been both sexes.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    I will never, in any life or in any universe, believe that a man who can literally change his body did not spend considerable time morphed into a person with breasts and a vagina.
    If I had shape-changing abilities the first thing I'd do is turn into a white man and befriend some random white person just to see what they really talk about behind closed doors. Kinda like that SNL Eddie Murphy skit.

Shapeshifters taking the shape of the opposite sex or gender (for some specific purpose) does not qualify as gender-nonconformity IMO. Mystique is in a female form 99% of the time, Morph is in a male form 99% of the time. Marvel's bigger issue is that every Transgender character ends up shapeshifting as well which has unfortunate implications.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Shapeshifters taking the shape of the opposite sex or gender (for some specific purpose) does not qualify as gender-nonconformity IMO. Mystique is in a female form 99% of the time, Morph is in a male form 99% of the time. Marvel's bigger issue is that every Transgender character ends up shapeshifting as well which has unfortunate implications.
    This.

It’s also telling that people just ignore that the Exiles Morph(who currently is the version of Morph with the most characterization) was only attracted to women, in spite of him constantly doing the Buggs Bunny comedy drag. Mariko and Morph had a brief but in depth discussion about it.

It’s weird that now a days having an honest discussion about this stuff can only go in one direction.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-24-2024 at 08:03 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This.

It’s also telling that people just ignore that the Exiles Morph(who currently is the version of Morph with the most characterization) was only attracted to women, in spite of him constantly doing the Buggs Bunny comedy drag. Mariko and Morph had a brief but in depth discussion about it.

It’s weird that now a days having an honest discussion about this stuff can only go in one direction.
    Being attracted to women has nothing to do with being nonbinary. That's probably why people are ignoring it because it's irrelevant to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Being attracted to women has nothing to do with being nonbinary. That's probably why people are ignoring it because it's irrelevant to the point.
    I didn’t say that it did. But in several places online there is a large community that has Morph now coming out as being attracted to both sexes when largely that has never been shown to be the case.

The overall vibe now is that he is more gay/bi than he is nonbinary in the general masses mind.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I didn’t say that it did. But in several places online there is a large community that has Morph now coming out as being attracted to both sexes when largely that has never been shown to be the case.

The overall vibe now is that he is more gay/bi than he is nonbinary in the general masses mind.
    You don't seem to understand that "non-binary" means. Anyone claiming he's bisexual is talking about something completely different. And it's kinda disingenuous to come here claiming something is happening elsewhere and questioning why that's not being discussed here. Why even bring it up since it's irrelevant to this conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    You don't seem to understand that "non-binary" means. Anyone claiming he's bisexual is talking about something completely different. And it's kinda disingenuous to come here claiming something is happening elsewhere and questioning why that's not being discussed here. Why even bring it up since it's irrelevant to this conversation?
    I fully understand what it means. I also think it’s “disingenuous” that you are taking one sentence of me replying to another post and turning into more that what it needs to be. This is an open forum where people can make comments on the characters and what is going on with them. I don’t really have to justify it.

Moving on…it be nice if there was no-controversy going on with a beloved series. The fact that now we are now going over the fact that shapeshifting characters are almost inferred as non-binary stand-ins comes off as disrespectful to actual non-binary people, shows that its an issue. More and more the argument of using new characters for these “changes and/or character growth” just seems to make more sense in the long run.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-24-2024 at 10:58 AM.

Moving on…it be nice if there was no-controversy going on with a beloved series. The fact that now we are now going over the fact that shapeshifting characters are almost inferred as non-binary stand-ins comes off as disrespectful to actual non-binary people, shows that its an issue. More and more the argument of using new characters for these “changes and/or character growth” just seems to make more sense in the long run.
    How many non-binary people have told you this?

I fully understand what it means. I also think it’s “disingenuous” that you are taking one sentence of me replying to another post and turning into more that what it needs to be. This is an open forum where people can make comments on the characters and what is going on with them. I don’t really have to justify it.

It's not disingenuous at all to think you're acting in bad faith.

And I haven't seen anyone who identifies as non-binary be offended by this. Quite the opposite, in fact. Also let's not pretend people don't object to new LGBTQ characters being introduced lol

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Did Escapade or any of the Alaya mutants (and Buddy) shapeshifted ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Did Escapade or any of the Alaya mutants (and Buddy) shapeshifted ?
    Koi Boy was a well received (to my understanding) trans character that doesn’t shapeshift.

Who are all these shapeshifting trans characters?

Koi Boy was a well received (to my understanding) trans character that doesn’t shapeshift.

Who are all these shapeshifting trans characters?
    Once again, I'm straight and cis-gender (I think I have the lingo right, since I don't typically have a reason to use it except when online), but I'd think that in order to have a shapeshifter qualify as transgender, wouldn't they have to show a preference to be in a gender other than the one they started out as? So a character is biologically male, gains shapeshifting powers, and then prefers to spend the majority of their time post-empowerment as female - that would qualify as being more of a transgender character. Specifically, we would have to see that they spent much, or most of their leisure time as the opposite gender to what they started out as, as time spent on mission could be seen as not entirely the choice of that character, but driven by mission requirements. Correct me if I am wrong here.
    Dark does not mean deep.

How many non-binary people have told you this?
    I’m Non-Binary and I not sure why it matters.

It’s tapping on the trope aspect of writing. If it wasn’t people wouldn’t be bring it up as often.

I’m Non-Binary and I not sure why it matters.

It’s tapping on the trope aspect of writing. If it wasn’t people wouldn’t be bring it up as often.
    It matters because you’re attempting to speak on behalf of all non-binary people.