Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Again, these convo’s end up going in one direction. It’s clear that elements in the forum are attempting to take this another way than intended and I am moving away from them and that.

With Morph and shapeshifters in general it’s coming to a place where they are becoming representation stand-in’s. Martian Manhunter for example is being pushed in several places as the token Black guy in the JLA. Ignoring the fact that his true form would be consider a monster to anyone who saw him in real life. He also had an issue feature in the DCAU comic where the focus was his ability to walk all aspects of human life which implied him to being on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum.

The other prominent representation for LGBTQIA+ who is a shapeshifter is a mass murder who no one can pin what side she is on any given day.

And now we have Morph, who’s main characterization is the comedian who specializes in lewd jokes and has been depicted as very straight in their Lesbian featured issue.

I get the argument for him not having as much characterization as some of the other characters on the show but that Non-Binary slot could have just as easily gone to Jubilee or again a new character. It’s also telling/weird that now that Morph is non-binary on the show he also takes the form of his AoA and Exiles counterpart. Why is that being depicted as non-human (the Martian Manhunter argument) now the go to?

Why isn’t that question being asked… again it shows what peoples intentions are regardless of how they are coming across.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 02-24-2024 at 12:37 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    With Morph and shapeshifters in general it’s coming to a place where they are becoming representation stand-in’s. Martian Manhunter for example is being pushed in several places as the token Black guy in the JLA. Ignoring the fact that his true form would be consider a monster to anyone who saw him in real life. He also had an issue feature in the DCAU comic where the focus was his ability to walk all aspects of human life which implied him to being on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum.
    Martian Manhunter being coded as a black man is a bad thing to you? It's not really something new, either.

And I've literally never seen MM be any sort of LGBTQ representation; the circles you've seen could likely be very small and mostly non-influential.

The other prominent representation for LGBTQIA+ who is a shapeshifter is a mass murder who no one can pin what side she is on any given day.
    Yes, Mystique is a villain. It's OK for there to be LGBTQ heroes and villains. Either I'm missing the point, or it's not there.

And now we have Morph, who’s main characterization is the comedian who specializes in lewd jokes and has been depicted as very straight in their Lesbian featured issue.
    Surely as a non-binary person yourself, you realize that being non-binary doesn't necessarily determine one's sexual preferences.

You also probably realize, as a comic fan, that X-Men '97 Morph is not the same Morph from the Exile.

I get the argument for him not having as much characterization as some of the other characters on the show but that Non-Binary slot could have just as easily gone to Jubilee or again a new character. It’s also telling/weird that now that Morph is non-binary on the show he also takes the form of his AoA and Exiles counterpart. Why is that being depicted as non-human (the Martian Manhunter argument) now the go to?
    By the end of the original cartoon, Morph had started looking non-human already.

Is your umbrage that, apparently, a non-binary character chose a default "blank slate" look as their default form?
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 02-24-2024 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Did Escapade or any of the Alaya mutants (and Buddy) shapeshifted ?
    I consider Escapade's powers a version of shapeshifting, I guess YMMV? Jessie Drake's as well.

Starting this thread off by saying I think it makes perfect sense to explore the concept of gender identity with characters whose powers allow them to change gender (and/or sex). Characters like Morph and Mystique would probably have less rigid self-identification with gender norms -because- of the fact that they can change their own sex and/or gender without effort.

As I said in the other thread though I don't think a character exercising the scope of their shapeshifting powers is cause to label them non-binary.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Starting this thread off by saying I think it makes perfect sense to explore the concept of gender identity with characters whose powers allow them to change gender (and/or sex). Characters like Morph and Mystique would probably have less rigid self-identification with gender norms -because- of the fact that they can change their own sex and/or gender without effort.

As I said in the other thread though I don't think a character exercising the scope of their shapeshifting powers is cause to label them non-binary.
    I guess it can be a “chicken vs. egg” hypothetical.

Is the character non-binary because they’re a shapeshifter? Or did the character find it easier to understand their gender fluidity because of their shapeshifting powers?

I have, at this point in time, no reason to assume any ill intent, and will view the Morph of X-Men ‘97 as having gone through the latter.

Mystique is a villain and has used her ability to shift from one gender to another to suit her needs. But, afaik, she clearly has a strong identity as female.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 02-24-2024 at 01:53 PM.

I just want Changeling resurrected in 616 and to utilize his forgotten psi abilities.

As far as him being non-binary in 616 or the cartoon universe? I really do not care.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Martian Manhunter being coded as a black man is a bad thing to you? It's not really something new, either.
    Is "coded" even the right term to use?

I mean his civilian identity as John Jones was dropped until they brought it back in Smallville.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

I mean his civilian identity as John Jones was dropped until they brought it back in Smallville.
    I'm not sure. Anyone's welcome to correct me. I'm not the biggest DC fan and I'm not sure how the subject applies to MM, but I believe that's how it was worded when I last did read something related.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I guess it can be a “chicken vs. egg” hypothetical.

Is the character non-binary because they’re a shapeshifter? Or did the character find it easier to understand their gender fluidity because of their shapeshifting powers?

I have, at this point in time, no reason to assume any ill intent, and will view the Morph of X-Men ‘97 as having gone through the latter.

Mystique is a villain and has used her ability to shift from one gender to another to suit her needs. But, afaik, she clearly has a strong identity as female.
    My thought is that this is something that should be deefined as an individual aspect of each character's identity and not just some blanket rubber stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    My thought is that this is something that should be deefined as an individual aspect of each character's identity and not just some blanket rubber stamp.
    'Kay.

So let's make that judgment once we have a fair chance to...aka when the series is released and we can watch it, not just after a press interview or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

The idea of “coded” anything is part of the issue. It similar to saying “knock off” or “off-brand”.

It’s also should be noted that MM og John Jones Secret ID was depicted as being white for most of his publications. It wasn’t until recently where that was changed to being black.

But this is the type of thing people of color are suppose to just take and be happy with, is often the tone people have when MM is brought up.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

If they really wanted to go gay they would reveal Kurt as bisexual and have his special relationship with Logan. We all know he's a fill in for Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Marvel's bigger issue is that every Transgender character ends up shapeshifting as well which has unfortunate implications.
    I… had actually not considered this. Interesting point. Makes me wonder, though, if being transgender or bisexual could be more of a function of having those powers, at least in these cases. I mean, if you’re able to turn into the opposite sex, it might make you more inclined to be fluid sexually and/or in terms of your own identity or sexuality. Seems logical to me.

Having said that, I agree that it’s unfortunate that Marvel seems to be taking “the easy route” here in terms of using shapeshifters to broaden representation rather than creating more outright bisexual, non-binary or trans characters with other power sets.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Once again, I'm straight and cis-gender (I think I have the lingo right, since I don't typically have a reason to use it except when online), but I'd think that in order to have a shapeshifter qualify as transgender, wouldn't they have to show a preference to be in a gender other than the one they started out as? So a character is biologically male, gains shapeshifting powers, and then prefers to spend the majority of their time post-empowerment as female - that would qualify as being more of a transgender character. Specifically, we would have to see that they spent much, or most of their leisure time as the opposite gender to what they started out as, as time spent on mission could be seen as not entirely the choice of that character, but driven by mission requirements. Correct me if I am wrong here.
    Yeah, this. Its why, in the case of Doctor Who, I don't buy the idea of the Doctor being a 'trans' character. He becomes virtually a different person in each incarnation and he identifies as that gender throughout.

Coming back to the X-men, in the case of Mystique, she's undoubtedly a woman. Now, if they come up with some retcon that was originally a man before her powers developed and prefers to be a woman, then you could make some argument for her being a 'trans' character.

I dunno what the case with Morph would be. Going strictly by what little was established in the TAS, one could assume he was a man. It remains to be seen if Morph was a man who now identifies as non-binary (and has changed his appearance accordingly), or if he was always non-binary, and assumed a default male appearance in the earlier series which he's now chosen to drop to reveal his true self.

Again, these convo’s end up going in one direction. It’s clear that elements in the forum are attempting to take this another way than intended and I am moving away from them and that.

Why isn’t that question being asked… again it shows what peoples intentions are regardless of how they are coming across.
    I think you and I are broadly in sync with the idea that it is a bit concerning (or maybe just lazy) that shapeshifters are the go-to examples for characters who bend their gender and racial identities (not to mention sexual orientations).

I always see it as a problem the moment only one single minoritized character is introduced and hence becomes heavily burdened to represent an entire group. Which can only fail.

If there is only one non-binary character on a team it will always be problematic because the character will never be enough to represent the complexities of an entire group and will disappoint a lot of people. They should have introduced several LGBTQ+ characters onto the show...let Morph for example have a network of several non-binary, trans* and queer people they hang out with in the show.

Find ways to "soften" the "burden of representation". This is crucial when it comes to minority representation in my eyes.

I think it is shameful how bad the presentation of trans*, non-binary, and also gay people in pop culture still is. It is particular important in cartoons and children's popular media. You have to start somewhere and I'm glad Morph exist as a non-binary character.
    Last edited by Exodus; 02-25-2024 at 04:09 AM.