Default Wildcats vs Stormwatch, which 50 issue run is better?

Hey there everyone, I know these series were published when Image first started but since DC now owns Wildstorm I thought I'd post this thread here.

I said Stormwatch. WildCATs have more specific good runs, being the Alan Moore the higher point. But those are really brief. Stormwatch was standart (for the time) until the arrival of Ellis and from that point only improved until its end.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think for me WildC.A.T.S has the edge. Stormwatch was a terribly pedestrian comicbook until Warren Ellis took it over and turned it into something sublime. WildC.A.T.S ended on a very average note but since its inception featured a fun run by Choi/Lee followed by 3 home runs with Claremont/Lee, Robinson/Charest and Moore/Charest/etc. I do think Ellis' Stormwatch might be even better than Moore's WildC.A.T.S, but this latter book had just more going for it than a single run.

Ultimate Member

Hard to say.

I know everyone loves Alan Moore's Wildcats, but they kinda overlook the fact that his story arc killed the team's reason for existing. Something that they still haven't recovered from.

Stormwatch wasn't that great before Ellis, but it wasn't that bad either. And though Ellis had some good stories, he crashed the series to play with his own toys.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Tough one, Ellis run on Stormwatch was a great precursor that set up the Authority & I do like Alan Moore’s Wildcats as it introduced TAO & Savant yet I have 2 go with Stormwatch.
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Moore's was a very entertaining read yet, I think it's not his best work while as Swamp Thing, Top Ten, League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Supreme, and Captain Britain were incredible plus my favorites. Stormwatch by Ellis was a great read that led to Authority
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    Moore's was a very entertaining read yet, I think it's not his best work while as Swamp Thing, Top Ten, League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Supreme, and Captain Britain were incredible plus my favorites. Stormwatch by Ellis was a great read that led to Authority
    Exactly. It was not Moore's best work. And yet it put the series upside down and still being remembered as one of the best eras of the title.

That is Moore for you.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Tough one. I do think both books had a very intresting initial premesis that failed to live up to their potential. Stormwatch, at first, was, IMHO, a very pedestrian book. Its view of world politics and world mechanics was really very shallow for what the book proposed itself to be. It introduced a large new cast, many of them typically stereotyped, led by poster child of the 90's excesses, Battalion, even if some of them actually managed to get developed into pretty interesting characters, though. However, that glimpse of the future gimmick was a very cool move, that they managed to actually bring to term in an effective way (although, I doubt that was the route they were really going on when they started out). Ellis really spined the book around, even if I'm not that much of a fan of his, however, killing of almost the whole team as cannon fodder, just so he could lauch his own book, the Authority, with characters he created was, IMHO, a dick move, and Stormwatch deserved better.
    As for WildCATS, the initial premise of the book was also very exciting, a covert strike team created to foil a milenar secret alien invasion. What could be more fun than that? The Kherubim half-breds explaining the existence of super-humans was a cool idea, and the Deamonite seemed to have a very cool Skrull/ Dire Wraiths/ Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibe to them. However, Jim Lee didn't seem quite foccused as he should have been in the book, and soon gave away the reins of it to other writers, good writers such as Chris Claremont, James Robinson and Alan Moore, who, unfortunately, seemed to have their own ideas of what the team should be, and what direction the books should go in. Claremont was just using the book to launch his own new creation (which went nowhere, I might add), Robinson had some good ideas, but, IMHO, the book soon lost that cool X-Men vibe they had in the initial issues. And Moore, of course, was the greatest offender. Sure, his run on the book was cool, and introduced some good characters and had, as always, some thought provoking concepts, however, in his eternal attempt to subvert expectations (I don't understand this. What's the problem with meeting expectations, especially when they are high expectations? But, I digress...), he basically killed the book's reason for existing. Suddenly the WildCATS were fighting a war that had not existed for centuries, the Deamonite were not the vicious, unfeeling hellspawn we believed, but poor victms of the oppression perpretated by those arrogant blowhards bigots, the vacuous Kherubim, and the team was split up. Eventually, the team did find its way back together, as well as its way back to Earth, but there was no longer that core reasoning for the team's existance. After Moore left, I did enjoy the adventure through time against the Puritans, however, it just didn't feel like the same book.
    So, all in all, both books had a lot of potential and its ups and downs, however, for me, I think I liked WildCATS more.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 03-01-2024 at 12:26 PM.