Default Pitch a World’s Finest: Wonder Woman book

Waid has been pretty successful with his Superman/Batman WF book set in a revamped Silver Age. The book even had a great Teen Titans spin-off and it looks like the World’s Finest brand is here to stay and could even become a mini-line of books.
    Considering the sales success of King’s run and the fact that we know so little about what actually counts as WW’s past adventures, I thought it would be nice to get a new look at the early years of Diana’s career.
    What would you want from a Silver Age inspired WW run?

For me, I’d take it as an opportunity to really solidify Diana’s rogues’ gallery and supporting cast.
    Since so much of WW’s past has been constantly retconned, I think Wonder Woman would really benefit from a run that. Have stories featuring Giganta, Cyber, Silver Swan, Clea (with an Aquaman team-up!) etc.
    It would also be really cool to see more team-ups with Nubia and Donna as Wonder Girl. 70s Nubia never got to appear much and we have seen little of the Donna/Diana pre-Crisis dynamic. This could be a great opportunity to strengthen these relationships. What do you guys think?

Your pitch sounds perfect to me. I'd give the book to Kurt Busiek, he clearly has an appreciation for WW's classic villains. And Bilquis Evely on art

I'd make it ''Brave and the Bold'' style series where Wonder Woman teams up with another female character for either an issue or arc. So Zatanna one arc, Lois Lane for another, Catwoman, Mera etc. No Harley, no Ivy though.

Someone like Simone or Busiek for the writer. No Waid!
    Last edited by Gaius; 02-28-2024 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'd make it ''Brave and the Bold'' style series where Wonder Woman teams up with another female character for either an issue or arc. So Zatanna one arc, Lois Lane for another, Catwoman, Mera etc. No Harley, no Ivy though.

Someone like Simone or Busiek for the writer
    And final arc could be WW and all the female heroes vs Villainy Inc!

Something with Waid writing?
    .......I suppose id take advantage of the WW2 canon and toss it to him to play with. Wonder Womans golden age was pretty silver agey. And Waid would probably go wild with that stuff.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Something with Waid writing?
    .......I suppose id take advantage of the WW2 canon and toss it to him to play with. Wonder Womans golden age was pretty silver agey. And Waid would probably go wild with that stuff.
    Waid has himself admitted he doesn't get Wonder Woman, and it shows whenever he tries to write her.

I love his comics but Waid is among the worst choices for a WW book.

A Wonder Woman/Zatanna book dealing with DC's mystical side would be great.

Spectacular Member

Does Mark Waid have to write it? :P

Have it set in the same "Silver/Brone/WTH knows" age that the current World's Finest titles are set in and maybe give us some stories with Diana and Donna teaming up along with some stories of Diana clashing with her non-mythological rogues like Angle Man, Giganta, Dr. Cyber (the REAL one, not the AI construct that used to be BFFs with Veronica Cale) and a lot of those Silver and Bronze Age villains that have gotten shoved aside for all the mythological villains. Make it a fun super hero book!

I definitely like the idea of a book focusing on Diana dealing with her non-mythological foes. I'm not sure what the current standing is as far as Diana having operated in WWII with the JSA, but if that's the case then I'd love to see the Blue Snowman be a legacy villain, with a few generations of the same family targeting Diana with updated technology.

Beyond that, folks have mentioned Giganta, Doctor Cyber, Angle Man...I'd add to that Minister Blizzard and more obscure/ridiculous types like Mouse Man, Paper Man, and Human Fireworks, see if there's some way to modernize them and make them more legitimate foes. Maybe even take a shot at Egg Fu, but using the more horrific version seen in the 52 series rather than...well, you know.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd also like to see one storyline set during the time when Diana was in her "abandon powers, embrace Emma Peel" phase. Which in comics time, might've only lasted a couple months at this point, but it'd be fun to see her in that period again.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 02-29-2024 at 02:22 PM.

Does the World's Finest moniker need to be linked to the Silver Age? If it were up to me, I would pitch a Golden Age WW book instead. Not that I don't enjoy the SA, but my favorite "old" WW books are definitely the GA ones

Busiek doing a WW WF series would be perfectly in line with what Waid is doing. Maybe you could get Phil Jimenez to write it.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Does the World's Finest moniker need to be linked to the Silver Age? If it were up to me, I would pitch a Golden Age WW book instead. Not that I don't enjoy the SA, but my favorite "old" WW books are definitely the GA ones
    Nah World’s Finest has simply become shorthand for “the past”. You could easily fold in Golden and Bronze Age stuff alongside Silver Age stuff, Waid’s entire WF series is built on the premise that there’s no hard continuity past a certain point.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Busiek would be a delightful treat

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Busiek doing a WW WF series would be perfectly in line with what Waid is doing. Maybe you could get Phil Jimenez to write it.

Nah World’s Finest has simply become shorthand for “the past”. You could easily fold in Golden and Bronze Age stuff alongside Silver Age stuff, Waid’s entire WF series is built on the premise that there’s no hard continuity past a certain point.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure. I am definitely checking out Waid's WF. Has it featured Diana at all?

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Thanks! I wasn't sure. I am definitely checking out Waid's WF. Has it featured Diana at all?
    Yes but not in a substantial capacity. Mostly cameos at most.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I’m okay w. WW having shown up after other DC heroes have been established for a while, so I’d like to see something Year One-y written by Stephanie Phillips, w. Diana establishing herself in (insert City name here) and encountering classic supporting characters, villains, gods, and heroes for the first time; establishing the relationships and rivalries that she’s had throughout her many iterations.

Art wise I’d go w. Bruno Redondo. I think he’d perfectly capture that combination of power and grace that Diana should be about.