Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Amazons Attack #5 - discussion, spoiler

Amazons Attack #5 (2024) : FEATURING PEACEMAKER AND MARY MARVEL! Disturbing the peace! Queen Nubia and her sisters find themselves in the crosshairs of one of DC’s deadliest hired killers…Peacemaker! Elsewhere, Mary Marvel finds herself asking an unlikely ally for help in clearing the names of all Amazons. But can anyone be trusted in this game of lies?!

The world can turn on Amazons, put them in chains, belittle them, try to overpower and control them...but their ideals and the power of their sisterhood will never fail them. Even if they might be betrayed by one of their own.

Though the way they ended the last page makes me think Farouka might be brainwashed?

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Sorry but this issue is another proof of how low DC writers think of the amazons. A kid with a gun can kill Nubia. Just as bad as a bullet buncing off superman almost killing WW. Where are their top martial artist skills and super fast senses and reflexes? And their healing factor? This is the same Nubia people here called nearly as strong as Diana? Without an actual explanation, the bullets weakness is stupid, because 99% of the times a writer wants a WW character to get shot. They make it in a way that apparently they have no super speed, reflexes and skills to react in time. It is beyond lazy wriing. They need to come up wih better threats to increase the tension.

At the end of the day I always think the Amazons while not bulletproof should at least be able to take normal bullets

Incredible Member

The kid shooting Nubia was stupid. I get the point was to show how demonized the Amazons are that even a child would fear them, but seriously, what a stupid way to weaken Nubia before a final confrontation with whatever the hell is possessing Farouka. This mini had some seeds of decent ideas and the art was mostly superb, but I'm over Campbell doing anything with the WW side of the DCU. Take Mary and your weaksauce Amazons with yah, Ms. Campbell.

Meh.
    I am so over all these WW-adjacent side projects.
    On one hand, I am glad they exist because they remind audiences of Wonder Woman, but on the other hand, they are usually crappy stories in which WW characters are usually portrayed as weak.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    The kid shooting Nubia was stupid. I get the point was to show how demonized the Amazons are that even a child would fear them, but seriously, what a stupid way to weaken Nubia before a final confrontation with whatever the hell is possessing Farouka. This mini had some seeds of decent ideas and the art was mostly superb, but I'm over Campbell doing anything with the WW side of the DCU. Take Mary and your weaksauce Amazons with yah, Ms. Campbell.
    Don't worry she's going to be taking over Shazam in May so she finally has a place it should have been in for her Mary Marvel stories.

Of course I'm concerned she may shaft Billy for Mary but thats a bridge we'll cross when we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    As someone with his own thoughts on whether pr not Amazons should be bulletproof, I didn't have any issue with that scene. This series has done a good job of giving the Amazons a much needed human face that is lacking in the main book.

As much as i LOVE My Amazons i'm not a Fan of how they are being written and at 1st i thought this was an Ongoing now i see it was only a mini and Thank Gaea cause Nubia.Mary Marvel The Wonder Girls Yara and Cassie are just written Poorly in my opinion.these are all strong and powerful women please write them as such Queen Hippolyta would've never been shot by a mere mortal child please make it make sense people.