View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 1 of 97 123451151 ... LastLast

Default The return of the Mighty Mighty New 52 Discussion thread

I know this may be a bit of a firestorm. But I like the new 52. I was a marvel reader that got to lost in the complicated story lines. You had to read 5 books to understand the story (ie avengers dissemble, civil war, house of m, planet hulk, secret invasion, dark avengers, Thor, just to understand seige). It was crazy

New 52 allowed me to start fresh and pick it up at number 1s. I bought back issues of justice league, omac, justice leage of America, all on ebay. I'm current and I like it.

Glad dc did the new 52

Believes in Cyclops

Understandable.

Some NEW 52 series have been pretty good too. E.g. Batgirl, Animal Man, Batman etc...

I've read justice league, justice league America, forever evil, earth 2, and now justice league united and probably futures end.

I also loved Omac. The old school Kirby appreciation is great!

You aren't alone mortymantis, I've been reading comics since the late 80's and although I miss certain aspects of the DCU I still like the New 52. It cops a lot of flak but from my experience most of it has been from people who never gave it a chance. It's great to see new readers, online as well as in person at my local comic store.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahzian View Post
    You aren't alone mortymantis, I've been reading comics since the late 80's and although I miss certain aspects of the DCU I still like the New 52. It cops a lot of flak but from my experience most of it has been from people who never gave it a chance. It's great to see new readers, online as well as in person at my local comic store.
    Did you see a rise in sales?

Good on you, mortymantis. I'm a big fan of the New 52 as well ... It got me back into DC

There's been a couple of hiccups but that goes with the territory and overall it was a much needed reboot and has several top quality titles

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Completely agree. I like the New 52 as well. I think we can all admit DC could have done a better job with certain characters and properties but, on the whole, the New 52 has been pretty great.

I wouldn't have gotten into monthly titles if it wasn't for the New52 allowing me to start from #1. I also like most the changes that were made to characters, against everyone else's opinions; Mr. Freeze, Superman's costume etc.

Same here. I wasn't a reader of comics at all until the New 52, now I'm dropping $100+ a month on DC, Marvel, and Image. I love the New 52 and I'm thankful for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    Did you see a rise in sales?
    At my local comic store most certainly, I think worldwide the New 52 boosted sales when it initially hit, I think it might have sagged a bit now although I don't really follow that stuff (some of the other guys here are much more knowledgeable on that topic).

I see a lot more people at my local buying more DC books than Marvel these days though, before New 52 it was mostly a Marvel audience.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm with you. I loved the old DCU, but am enjoying a lot of the New52 very much.

A lot of new things got a chance that I don't think would have happened before, and beloved older concepts got a second chance.

I never, ever thought I'd buy a book about vampires, but I, Vampire is one of my favorite books from the (not a) re-boot. And Diah H was superb.

I admit a lot of these have disappeared but DC does at least gives them chances now.

I do wish the old universe had a better send off, though.

Just before Flashpoint, many DC titles were a mess. So, yeah, they needed a good kick in the pants.

But, unfortunately, DC did too much of a "have our cake and eat it too", doing this confusing "soft-reboot" and initially making it seem like many of the big stories from the past were still included, but then backing away from that when they realized it wouldn't really work. They even had to retcon out things from the initial months of stories when they did the collected versions (like whether there still had been previous groups of "Teen Titans").

There was a lot of good that could have come from the New 52. But unfortunately, DC rushed into it without proper planning.

To me, the ideal solution would have been to do a complete reboot with NOTHING from the past still in play until it was established in a New 52 story. All of the pre-Flashpoint stories and stuff should have been shunted off to a separate Earth, and maybe in five or ten years could be re-introduced in a crossover between the Earths.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just before Flashpoint
    To me, the ideal solution would have been to do a complete reboot with NOTHING from the past still in play until it was established in a New 52 story. All of the pre-Flashpoint stories and stuff should have been shunted off to a separate Earth, and maybe in five or ten years could be re-introduced in a crossover between the Earths.
    I hear this line of thinking a lot, and it does appear attractive. Believe me when I say a lot of thought was given to doing just that. It was the ideal solution for many of the "lesser" characters for sure. The big problem is that DCs most marketable character (by a factor of a thousand) does not lend itself to a complete reboot. Reintroducing Batman w/o 75 years of the mythos would be an almost impossible task - how exactly do you write a Joker story and act like they've never faced each other before? A brand new threat - the Joker! We would have also gone through 5-10 years of re-introducing Robins starting with a Dick Grayson that was 14-16 years old and retold 1000's of pages of story. Superman has the same problem to a lesser degree (and that's why they split a new telling of his start in Action, while doing "current" stories in Superman), but protecting the Batman brand is (and probably should be) DC's #1 priority. The whole thing makes a lot more sense if you just say they completely rebooted everyone except the Bat family and GL (so Johns could finish telling his almost 10 year epic that revitalized the character) and Morrison changes Superman's beginnings a bit. Messy sure, but the best of many less than ideal options.

* And to the original poster - I like the New 52 a lot, as well. There have definitely been bumps in the road, but having seen everything from COIE, to Zero Hour, to Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis - I think they did an admirable job under the circumstances. And now, a few years later I think the universe has found it's footing a little and they are putting out as many quality books as they have in a long, long time. Outside of Morrison and Johns the DCU was a complete dumpster fire prior to Flashpoint. Did they reboot it perfectly? No, but there was no perfect way to do it
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-06-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    I know this may be a bit of a firestorm. But I like the new 52. I was a marvel reader that got to lost in the complicated story lines. You had to read 5 books to understand the story (ie avengers dissemble, civil war, house of m, planet hulk, secret invasion, dark avengers, Thor, just to understand seige). It was crazy

New 52 allowed me to start fresh and pick it up at number 1s. I bought back issues of justice league, omac, justice leage of America, all on ebay. I'm current and I like it.

Glad dc did the new 52
    Its a taboo to say anything good about new 52 in these boards. LOL.

All-New Member

I am enjoying the New 52 as well. Prior to the reboot I was only collecting: Batman, Detective Comics, Batman and Robin, The Flash and Justice League of America. Now I am collecting all of those books plus: Wonder Woman, All of the Justice League books (main title, United and Dark [since Lemire's run began]) Green Arrow (since Lemire's run began) The Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing. And I also had Omac, Animal Man and Nightwing on my pull list but they ended. I also dropped Batwoman since JH Williams left.