Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
Good post. Both Marvel and DC are in a tough situation. Seemingly, their characters have rarely been this popular - maybe the 40's and early 90's? But while sales are going up to some degree it's nothing compared to the flood of people seeing the movies/TV Shows. Avengers, Iron Man, Superman, Captain America and Green Arrow are all coming off of or have highly successful movies or TV shows, but really don't sell well at all. And some of those books are quality. Why is that? Is it the company's fault, is it the medium itself, is it society, is it the younger demographics preferences? Probably a combination of all of the above. But I know both companies are trying desperately to tap into the huge pool of potential fans that have been created -just w/o a ton of success, yet
Maybe they are victims of their own success in TV and movies? What I mean is since there are so many other mediums in which to follow these characters adventures that the comic medium is becoming and outdated way in which to see them? Prior to becoming huge in movies and TV shows the only way you could follow your favorite hero was in comics Now you can play through a comic on x-box. Or fight other comic characters on x-box. Or follow them in the movies or on a weekly tv show. Overall I dont think these characters have ever had the exposure they do now. Movies, weekly tv shows, animated shows and movies, video games. Comics are not as important to marketing and selling these guys as they once were.

I do think this weekly idea from DC could take off though. Combine it with online reading and weekly titles it could capture a market and anticipation almost like a weekly tv show.