View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 15 of 97 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    That's how I would have done it. All in all, it sounds like a FAR better means of doing it than they way DC did it. The whole 'shunted off to a seperate Earth' thing would allow the writers of the individual books to give proper wrapups to ongoing story threads before the old world gets de-emphasized in favor of the new.

And yes, really the ideal way of handing the New 52 was to not use anything from the past in it until it was established in a New 52 story. The Sinestro Corps Wars? Unless you're willing to show just when it, and the events leading up to it, happened in the New 52, don't mention it. Ditto for any other events (No Man's Land, Battle for the Cowl, etcetera) of the individual titles.

Really, if you're going to re-boot a comic book universe, you have to put in as much effort into it as possible. You can't half-donkey it. You have to know who everyone is in the new reality, their relations with the other characters, and their status quo. You have to have ALL that straight before you begin in earnest.

In short, you can't just make it up as you go along. And while I haven't been reading much of the new 52, everything I've seen and heard indicates that 'making it up as they go along' is precisely what they're doing. And that's the WRONG way to go about it.
    Personally, I think they didn't need to throw out the things that were working and selling well just for some sense of "all-or-nothing" that wouldn't really have made a positive difference in sales. Batman and Green Lantern were selling well, there was no reason to handicap them by making them start over from scratch. Were there people who didn't buy Superman because they were upset that Batman didn't completely relaunch?

At the same time, I think they did need to do that big one-month relaunch to really get attention to what they were doing.

And besides, if you started from scratch, what books are you going to publish in the first month? Just Action and Detective? You need a full 50-ish books coming out every month to generate revenue.

I also think that too much pre-planning of the whole universe limits creative thought. It's effectively editorial interference, which is something a lot of people say there's too much of already.

All-New Member

I have been reading comics for just over ten years and until the reboot I have never touched a DC book, not because I wasnt interested it was because there wasn't a clear jumping on point, with the relaunch I finally picked up a handful of titles, Batman, Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwoman, Batwing, Suciude Squad, Deathstroke and Ravagers, out of those I now only get Batman, Batgirl.

I think it succed in doing what it was designed to and reinvigorated the Dc Universe and brought in new and lapsed readers and the quality of the current crop of titles is proberly the best DC has had in awhile

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Telepathic Nightmare View Post
    I think it succed in doing what it was designed to and reinvigorated the Dc Universe and brought in new and lapsed readers and the quality of the current crop of titles is proberly the best DC has had in awhile
    Yeah, people seem to forget that the quality of DC's books, at least right before the reboot, were...pretty lacking. I'd take current DC over the DC of 2010-2011

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

I used to like DC & had some high hopes for the 52 but I'm only doing the Aquaman books, Earth2,Worlds' Finest,and Futures End. I've been getting into Spy & Scifi genres I'm hoping DC might make an Agents of S.H.A.D.E. book or bring back the Legion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    I used to like DC & had some high hopes for the 52 but I'm only doing the Aquaman books, Earth2,Worlds' Finest,and Futures End. I've been getting into Spy & Scifi genres I'm hoping DC might make an Agents of S.H.A.D.E. book or bring back the Legion.
    Don't forget the new Grayson book where Dick Grayson is a super-spy.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

I think my boyfriend put it best. Instead of rebooting the DCU, they should've rebooted the management. Two and a half years after the reboot began, it's clear where the problems were all along.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    I think my boyfriend put it best. Instead of rebooting the DCU, they should've rebooted the management. Two and a half years after the reboot began, it's clear where the problems were all along.
    I couldn't agree more.

People say stuff like this using the word "only," but it sounds to me like you're reading 8 DC books a month and that's pretty good! You can't expect to like them all, so enjoy what you do read! Who cares if there's 44 or whatever you're not interested in.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

If you like spy stories, be sure to read Velvet from Image Comics. It's by Brubaker and Epting (who you seem to be familiar with judging by your avatar) and it has this absolutely brilliant premise where a Mrs. Moneypenny stand-in is basically the most kickass spy around and is on the run after being framed for murdering a very James Bond-like superspy.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

What is so brilliant about that premise?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    New52 is dumb and is not new anything but something ugly inbetween.

They have made the same mistakes with the characters as in the old universe. Superman is even more OP cuz he now can benchpress earth 5 times wtf? How are we readers supposed to take anything this guy does seriously when he does that?

I was hoping they would ground a lot of these characters and change things up. Make these heroes feel new andd fresh again
    Dude. Read the OP's comments. He doesn't even mention the New 52. He's talking about the endless cycle of event after event after event.

Also, in regards to your comments about Superman, its simple. They give him villains that are either as powerful as he is (which they have) or who challenge him in non-physical ways (which they have).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    People say stuff like this using the word "only," but it sounds to me like you're reading 8 DC books a month and that's pretty good! You can't expect to like them all, so enjoy what you do read! Who cares if there's 44 or whatever you're not interested in.
    This guy Joe is the voice of reason!

Seriously, when I read Red Winter's post, I felt like he was a fan.
    Last edited by Mar-Vell; 05-13-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    WHO DAT?!!

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Well, all I can say in the final analysis is good luck and fare thee well. Myself, I'm on the verge of doing the same for most of their titles, and I suppose Forever
    Evil has something to do with that. I wouldn't mind if it was simply a massive crossover, but one that interrupts everything going on in the normally scheduled DCU? That just made it drag to the point where I'm not even sure where it ended. The way it was handled, it became a dropping off point for artists like Janin on JLD and Manapul on the Flash. Maybe they were getting ready to move on anyhow, but this way made FE seem like a major disruption. Plus it just wasn't that good.

And hey, when did a crossover become something you couldn't properly understand unless you got every single tie-in anyway? Civil War was supposed to be this great story, but if all you got was the main title it was just an awful mess. I already dropped Marvel two or three years ago, just got tired of the direction they were headed.

Ultimately there comes a point of forgiveness, but I don't think I'll ever follow either company like I once did. And this is also with more than 40 years of collecting under my belt. So I completely understand.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    What is so brilliant about that premise?
    Mostly that it's such a blatantly obvious idea but, to my knowledge, has never been tackled before.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Mostly that it's such a blatantly obvious idea but, to my knowledge, has never been tackled before.
    I dunno, the whole framed spy on the run just sounds really generic to me.