View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 2 of 97 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

I also like the New 52!

... When is good (Although I do tend to like it more often than not).

I like the idea behind the new 52, but the execution is at about 50-50 right now. Actually, maybe 60-40 skewing towards bad, but I've been reading comics for almost 40 years, so I'm a tough audience.

The New 52 really fixed Superman, Wonder Woman (elevating her far above previous source material) and Swamp Thing and for that alone it was worth it, as far as I'm concerned. I am from the camp that Superman kind of lost his way post-Crisis and I'm happy to see him back as an assertive force for unambiguous good. No aimless walking across the US for this guy.

Then there were the "let's take a chance on this" books that you'd expect from Image rather than DC, like Dial H and Animal Man. They didn't last because mainstream fans aren't ready to buy books like this in the sorts of numbers that DC needs, but it was hugely encouraging to see them go out on a limb for a change.

Spectacular Member

I was totally on board when they did it. I have kind of rethought things as I've seen some things go south....I don't see how you still screw up LOSH and teen titans. I know what they are trying to do with a character like wally west and alan scott...I don't know if I like it or not. To me it seems like they are just checking off boxes as they go along. "We need a gay guy" How about Alan Scott, check that off the list. same with wally and his bi-racial stuff...just create a new character instead of pissing off half of your readership with changes that a ton of people are gonna be pissed about.

that said, if it's done well I don't have a huge problem with character changes, I have a problem with LOSH, Titans, Superboy and all of the other "young justice" titles getting canned within 2-3 years. these are titles that should almost be no brianers but they are constant failures....it's very frustrating.

I'm still sticking with it. I've enjoyed forever evil and loved the metal men issues of JL.

Mighty Member

I like the New 52 as well. Could some things have been done better? Yes, they could have. Maybe it should have been a hard reboot. Overall I still enjoy it and I think it really benefited quite a few franchises. The worst part about the New 52 might be some of the costume designs. I stress SOME... not all. I do think it was time that Superman lost the strongman trunks from the 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    The New 52 really fixed Superman, Wonder Woman (elevating her far above previous source material) and Swamp Thing and for that alone it was worth it, as far as I'm concerned. I am from the camp that Superman kind of lost his way post-Crisis and I'm happy to see him back as an assertive force for unambiguous good. No aimless walking across the US for this guy.
    Actually, to many people, the CoIE reboot was good for Superman. We had a Ma and Pa Kent alive when Clark was Superman, which seemed sacrilegious since that had never been done before as part of regular continuity, but it added new layers and humanity to the character.

You also had the "Triangle Era", when Superman was appearing practically weekly with his four separate titles, and the triangles on the cover made it clear the proper order to read the books in. Also, while all four books were by separate writers and artists, there was a very good sense of continuity between the different titles . . . something affecting Superman in one book wasn't necessarily ignored / contradicted in another Superman book.

Always Rakzo

COIE was definitely good for Superman and it actually revitalized his image for a new era, I thought that some of the changes (especially the addition of Ma and Pa Kent to the cast) were excellent for the character.

Then again, I thought that Morrison's reboot was quite underwhelming, but hey we eventually got Pak's Action Comics so I suppose everything worked out fine.

Ever since the start of the New 52 I have been picking up many more DC books than anything else, so I definitely share OP's sentiments.

All-New Member

I agree, as well, with the op. I was buying few comic books, in general, at the time of Flashpoint, but with that I event, I plunged back into DC and simply collecting comic books. I was really surprised, too, about some of the chances editorial took on some books. I loved OMAC, Frankenstein, and Dial H. I hope they continue to take chances, and I'm excited about Future's End and Infinity Man, and I'm hopeful for new runs on LOSH and Doom Patrol

The new 52 revived my love for superhero comics.

I freaking love the new 52.

There's things about the New52 I like. Earth-2 and Justice League Dark being about it. Oh, and Azzarello's Wonder Woman may be the closest competition to the classic Perez run.

But I felt that some things could've been done different/better. Especially the Young Justice and Edge titles. For YJ, I felt that the books weren't given enough importance and left to die. While with Edge, Wildcats and a space book (ala Omega Men or Adam Strange) should have been in there somewhere.

And I agree that Batman and GL should have been rebooted with the rest. Although I could see the problems with doing that with Batman, since over half the characters that would need to be reintroduced were already planned to have their own titles.

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

I'm indifferent to the relaunch itself, they just need to stop running off talent and maybe pickup some more interesting pencilers.
    Read Prophet, live Stray Bullets.

Incredible Member

The overall quality went up compared to the few years pre-Flashpoint, so that's all that matters to me.

I could care less about the '5 year' complaints. This is comic-book time we're talking about here. It never made sense.

I could care less about re-imagined stories/origins. The old stories are still there for you to read.

Its what started me on comics so I like it.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

All the series I'm reading from the New 52 are great :-) Which, I think, is the trick to enjoying it.
    You will need a miracle to defeat us, mutant! You are severely outnumbered!
    My brother's the one who cares about numbers.
    THUNK
    I'm the one who believes in miracles.