View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    For my own part, I avoid declaring my intentions with finality because while there might be nothing I'm interested in reading this month, next month might be an entirely different story (literally). For me to declare my long-term intentions with such finality is to put myself in a bind in which I must either forego something I might enjoy, or be a liar.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I cut my ties with DC with the launch of the Nu52. I think they should have learned their lesson after COIE that reboots are more damage in the long run and that it shouldn't have been attempted again.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    I cut my ties with DC with the launch of the Nu52. I think they should have learned their lesson after COIE that reboots are more damage in the long run and that it shouldn't have been attempted again.
    But, um, what was wrong with the post-COIE universe??

Plus, I do kind of think anyone who has completely forgone the new stuff just because its not the old are missing out on some fantastic stories. Yeah, some is bad, but, hey, doesn't mean there isn't good.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I prefer to maintain some flexibility in these matters. Being passionate about a hobby, and perhaps comics in particular, is sort of like being in the Mafia; just because you say you're "out" doesn't necessarily mean you're actually out. Sooner or later, consciously or otherwise, you find yourself drawn in again.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Nothing was inherently wrong to me at least. However, it does piss off prior fans by having the universe they loved get replaced overnight by a new one. I could live with the changes after COIE and I enjoyed the post-COIE universe greatly, but this new DCU doesn't interest me so I vote with my wallet and don't support it.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    Part of it is the sagging story quality. Part of it is extreme event fatigue.

It's not just this event that brought it on. It's the constant event machine, year after year for the sake of a quickie sales boost. Frustrations with interrupted or short-circuited regular storylines in ongoing books, just for the sake of feeding the event machine. DC and Marvel both do it. I'm not laying the blame just on DC. There is plenty of blame to go around.

I don't like being hussled to buy books I normally wouldn't. Just for the sake of the temporary sales bump on someone's worksheet that events produce.

But it is also a matter of the style in which the stories are produced. Plot these days seems to be pushed toward being "gritty" and "edgy". For the simple sake of gaining attention by pandering to shock value. And I honestly don't think pandering to shock is good storytelling.
    I wish you the best of luck and I completely understand how frustrating it is to have story lines plagued with interruption after interruption. Extreme event fatigue + the disruption of story lines + feeling like I was being "forced" to buy books I had no interest in just to understand whatever the event was lead me to becoming a lapsed reader several decades ago so I completely understand where you coming from there. Events and the like still annoy me and I've been really annoyed at DC's annual September event in particular since I've not been interested in either last or this year's choice of premise for it. My answer to this problem differs from yours though. Instead of dropping out of reading DC or Marvel, as I did years ago, I simply have chosen not to buy any event book that isn't already on my pull list and if the entire event (such as DCs September event) is not of interest I drop out for the time period that the event involves.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 05-07-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Who announces this type of thing? Just stop buying DC books. We don't care if you do or not. Five people will just replace you and buy all of them.

I mostly just buy the Bat books, but I dip into the other stuff now and then.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post

Plus, I do kind of think anyone who has completely forgone the new stuff just because its not the old are missing out on some fantastic stories. Yeah, some is bad, but, hey, doesn't mean there isn't good.

Let's see..........

Donna Troy
    Hawkman
    Power Girl
    Whoever was replacing the Golden Age Wonder Woman in the Justice Society that year.

to name a few things.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I know how ya feel darren, OMD forced me into a comic book hiatus in general I think I went back to mainstream comics... 2009 and I looked at all the good stuff I missed and the older stuff from when I was reading.

I'm drifting from DC these days, Injustice is the only one I'm buying consistently (not counting Sandman), It seems the stuff I like gets cancelled. I'd buy more marvel books but they price me out for too little content, though I don't care what Spidey-2099 cost :wink:

Let's hope DC will fix itself (Marvel too)

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    August will be the last month I pick up any DC Universe titles. I'm finishing off the stories currently going, and bowing out before the September Futures End month of books.

After decades of reading, I've just finally met the end of my endurance. It's time for a clean break.

I have already started the cancellations today. Starting with Birds Of Prey. A franchise I followed since its very inception. But now, the book lost its appeal. I'm done with it.

The only DC book I intend to keep following is He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe. I'm enjoying that. And I will continue to follow it.

What this means is: That I am pretty much done with Marvel and DC. I will keep supporting the great indie books I support and love. But as for the big two? I'm done.

I'm not sure if you just started posting here recently, changed your user-name when the forum was rebooted, or I just never noticed you prior to a few weeks ago but I've enjoyed reading your posts. I'm sorry you're no longer interested in reading DC any more but I hope you find something new and exciting to take it's place.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

I will never leave the comics medium. It's too much a part of my life to ever cut off totally.

Instead I view this as a redirection of my energy.

I'm actually in the early stages of launching my own comic book publishing company. Something I have worked on passionately for years.

Nothing was inherently wrong to me at least. However, it does piss off prior fans by having the universe they loved get replaced overnight by a new one. I could live with the changes after COIE and I enjoyed the post-COIE universe greatly, but this new DCU doesn't interest me so I vote with my wallet and don't support it.
    I had an interesting experience with the Pre-/Post-COIE shift. I was out of American superhero comics during the years when COIE and its immediate aftermath hit (I was pursuing anime full time at the time and had no extra time/money/interest for American superhero comics). I was drawn back in by the A DEATH IN THE FAMILY event killing off Robin (whom I did not even know at the time was no longer Dick Grayson, but Jason Todd) and the new Batmania created by the 1989 BATMAN film. I noticed very soon that the DCU I was reading in 1988 was *not* the DCU I'd last read in 1983. I knew of COIE and even that Supergirl had died in it, but I thought it was just DC's answer to Marvel's SECRET WARS and nothing more. Going back and finding out what had happened between 1983-1988 was quite an odyssey of rediscovery for me.

The Superman costume change alone is one major reason I don't support the Nu52. Imagine if Chris Reeve had worn that abomination.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm not sure if you just started posting here recently, changed your user-name when the forum was rebooted, or I just never noticed you prior to a few weeks ago but I've enjoyed reading your posts. I'm sorry you're no longer interested in reading DC any more but I hope you find something new and exciting to take it's place.
    My beginning on CBR was many years ago. It was my way of cooresponding with a comic book creator who is no longer with us. (He passed away a few years ago.)

I started actively posting on the forums in public a short while before the forum was rebooted. And I reregistered to continue my interest.

Extraordinary Member

Well, you should know at least that Green Lantern basically just picked up right where it left off from the Pre-Flashpoint volume. They have referenced events from the past timeline, but it mainly just trucks on as its own little corner of the DCU, which I like myself, without much reference to the other stuff going on. The only real thing that's indicated that this is a new universe is the fact that Hal didn't recognize Supergirl when he saw her as a Red Lantern. Although, that's just a minor detail. I know you're a big Hal Jordan fan (like myself), so I think that's something you'd like to know.

The Superman costume change alone is one major reason I don't support the Nu52. Imagine if Chris Reeve had worn that abomination.

I don't know...it kind of looks good on Reeve.