View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 42 of 97 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The paradox of continuity...
    To have or not to have...

Exhibit A.
    Without a sense of continuity, every story would have to involve the origin of the characters, since any origin mentioned before would be wiped clean. Unless there was continuity.

Exhibit B.
    Every character would have to be introduced to every other non-regular cast member. Unless there was continuity, how would you explain that character A has already met character B?

Exhibit C.
    Some genre conventions rely on continuity. Take for instance vampires. While not all vampires are the same, the limitations, weaknesses and habits have to be explained to the reader to give them definition. Without continuity, you wouldn't know that this specific type of vampire is immune to sunlight unless you mention it in-story. Which brings us to...

Exhibit D.
    Exposition. Long out-of-favor and now considered old-fashioned or "old school", exposition will rear it's head up because you will have to explain Everything to the reader in Every issue. Unless you have continuity.
    +1. Agreed.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Who says they have to be? Just ignore stories like that. They don't have to wipe out continuity en masse to fix a problem. At least we'd still know that all those other stories happened. We wouldn't have to wonder "does this count or not?"

The New 52 has some "five years ago" origin stories, and then the present day. What happened in between? We don't know. And that's a problem, because the current stories really have no foundation. The fictional universe is literally hollow. A lot of gloss and action that resembles the DC universe without any substance undergirding it.
    That's exactly how I felt about DC52 a year after giving it a chance. It's undermined everything I loved about DC, this year's happenings most of all (pseudo-Wally West not even close to the original, I'm looking---or wincing, out of the sides of one eye---at you.) It's constantly heads or tails whether the next story will feature a heroic Superman or an evil one. Michael doesn't know Ted. Jay G. is wearing a mustard stain. The Question is supernatural and evil rather than a guy with a fantastic poker face. The Phantom Stranger is no longer a stranger (dang it.)

I couldn't stand it anymore and left, dropping even looking at the Previews for all by Kyle Rayner's book. (He's the only one of my former loves I still half-way recognize.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    That's exactly how I felt about DC52 a year after giving it a chance. It's undermined everything I loved about DC, this year's happenings most of all (pseudo-Wally West not even close to the original, I'm looking---or wincing, out of the sides of one eye---at you.) It's constantly heads or tails whether the next story will feature a heroic Superman or an evil one. Michael doesn't know Ted. Jay G. is wearing a mustard stain. The Question is supernatural and evil rather than a guy with a fantastic poker face. The Phantom Stranger is no longer a stranger (dang it.)

I couldn't stand it anymore and left, dropping even looking at the Previews for all by Kyle Rayner's book. (He's the only one of my former loves I still half-way recognize.)
    There are time this change of direction DC is engage in seems to be off the nearest cliff. The new version of the Crime Syndicate was interesting but the story went on for far too long and cross over into too many books and you know they way things go it would lead into the next mega crossover event.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    Is it me or are the costume designs rather busy?
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    You're not the only person who feels that way, but I think they fall more in line with the versions we see in other media, like movies and TV.
    Most of the Nu52 are but it's not even that it's just that the style many (especially at the start) seemed to have was stupid. They all had lines/seems, really, Alien technology, High body armour and a frictionless suit have the exact same tailor? It might be a small detail but that really breaks immersion (that might be the wrong word).

I'm actually slightly disappointed in The Crime Syndicates Designs, There styles was more like the pre-relaunch minimalist style not too busy, and yet some seemed plain compared to everyone else.

Also isn't it short sighted to have their Earth gone?

All-New Member

One regret I have is they never resolved or closed any of the good stories that were running pre-Flashpoint and it just rebooted without closing them. Booster Gold's time travel series was great read. That Black Beetle mystery was never resolved. Claims and counter claims that were never allowed a logical end. Was he Hector grieving? Arsenal's fall from grace story ended abruptly even as he degenerated into a junkie. Olliver Queen's Star City White Lantern jungle had potential towards it's end after Brightest Day. The Hawkman arc after Brightest Day was again unresolved as to what happened to the revived Hawks. Aquaman's severed hand. They all just appeared as elementals to help revive Swamp Thing. Hawkgirl never returned back and this story was left in void. Lot of work was put in many stories and left unresolved.

My thoughts so far on the New 52 after lurking on this forum forever and reading DC pretty much since Knightfall.

Overall, I'm enjoying it more than pre-Flashpoint. In general the universe feels more cohesive and modern. Face it, as great as the legacy of DC characters was, having superheroes who fought in WW2 still around, when there are barely any real vets left, doesn't work unless you set your fixed time period somewhere around the 60's (which I thought the animated Brave and the Bold did really well.) In no particular order, here are the titles/characters/teams I felt improved:

* Wonder Woman & Aquaman. Neither character I had much interest in their solo titles before.
    * Constantine, Swamp Thing, and other Vertigo characters. JL Dark is a lot of fun thanks to this.
    * Earth 2. Great revamp of old characters and of all the titles felt like an actual reboot. I've also liked how it (for the most part) stood alone although that seems likely to change.
    * Batman. Probably in the minority here, but the time compression with the Robins cleans things up and I always hated the super-punch resurrection for Jason so at least now we have the Lazarus pit. Also, Barbara as Batgirl and Batwoman (JHW's run at least.)
    * Action Comics by Grant Morrison.
    * I Vampire & Green Arrow I'll lump together because...Andrea Sorrentino. Plus they are both well written.
    * The "core" of the DCU, mainly the JL titles, actually feels like it has purpose and direction. I'm sure most of this is just Geoff Johns. This is especially apparently when re-read in trade form.
    * Strangely, even though the creative team didn't change, I preferred Jonah Hex over All-Star Western. Maybe it was the Gotham thing that felt mandated. It's better now that he's back to the real west. Sadly not much longer.

I find myself reading a lot more DC now on a weekly basis than I did before the New 52. Digital day-and-date is a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    One regret I have is they never resolved or closed any of the good stories that were running pre-Flashpoint and it just rebooted without closing them. Booster Gold's time travel series was great read. That Black Beetle mystery was never resolved. Claims and counter claims that were never allowed a logical end. Was he Hector grieving? Arsenal's fall from grace story ended abruptly even as he degenerated into a junkie. Olliver Queen's Star City White Lantern jungle had potential towards it's end after Brightest Day. The Hawkman arc after Brightest Day was again unresolved as to what happened to the revived Hawks. Aquaman's severed hand. They all just appeared as elementals to help revive Swamp Thing. Hawkgirl never returned back and this story was left in void. Lot of work was put in many stories and left unresolved.
    I'll add JLI to that list.
    It was supposed to spin out of Generation Lost, and apparently with the Greek lady as a member.

It made it all the way to the original solicitations before it was rebooted and we got an updated cover. First with no one where the Greek lady was in the original cover and then finally with Godiva, thereby removing any connection to Generation Lost.

And don't forget the big debut of the new Aqualad in Brightest Day that DC was promoting. IIRC, he even had a cover of Previews.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

As a long time lurker I also have to 'confess' that I think the New 52 has been great. I am now up to a dozen different DC titles, the most ever.

The DCU now feels more modern & inter-connected and the best titles have been fabulous. It saw the Green Lantern line extended out to 4 titles (5 now with Sinestro). The sterling work that started on Aquaman pre-N52 if anything got better. With all of the core JL members (both separately and together) it feels like more attention is being placed on their plots & direction. The 2 Legion titles got cancelled which bugged me but neither were that special TBH. Really enjoyed new ideas like JLD and the reworked Earth 2. Scott Snyder's work on Batman remains top notch. As for the costume changes, is it really THAT big a deal??

When you launch 52 new titles at once some are bound to be turkeys, but overall I've really taken a lot out of the N52

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

I would like the post crisis/pre-flashpoint to era to come back but I would like to see versions of Red Hood & the Outlaws,Grifter,Frankenstein,Aquaman & the Others, Grayson,Earth 2,and Worlds' Finest.

BANNED

Default Ok we had enough of OMG!!!!!!! Teh Nu52!!!!!! Nonsense. WHEN IS THEVREAL DC UNIVERSE COMING BACK?

I await its return & only read my back issues

Good for you. I however started reading with the New 52 so this is the real DC Universe.

BANNED

That's just the perfect response. Someone lock this thread, nothing else will ever top that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    That's just the perfect response. Someone lock this thread, nothing else will ever top that.
    Ha, agreed.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Good for you. I however started reading with the New 52 so this is the real DC Universe.
    This is why there should be a thumbs up button.

The Real DC Universe is the one that will replace the New52.
    And he one that will replace that one.
    And the one that will replace that one...