View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 51 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Have you told DC what you're doing?

Otherwise, they may not really notice. And one person not buying DC comic books by himself would more likely affect the comic book shop where he bought those books in the past, not DC.
    There are other books out there, other publishers, y'know. There are plenty of other fish. My money will now go to more of those other fish instead of waiting for a fish I hate to start tasting good. Yeah, it may not mean a thing to a big corporation, but it's partially done for my own piece of mind. Who knows, maybe others feel the same.

Astonishing Member

Not so quiet anymore. You've failed on your quiet boycott.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Not so quiet anymore. You've failed on your quiet boycott.
    Better than "silent" like I was originally going to post. "Quiet" can signify that you're still making a noise, it's just not very loud. Silent is absolute, quiet is not.

Well, at least I sleep better at night knowing I'm not supporting something I think is crap.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Have you told DC what you're doing?

Otherwise, they may not really notice. And one person not buying DC comic books by himself would more likely affect the comic book shop where he bought those books in the past, not DC.
    Exactly, have you notified DC that you will be boycotting them? I'm sure they will react immediately.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveEB View Post
    When they kill off most of the Wildstorm characters in the first issue(yet the DC character, who's randomly placed there with no reason given, survives) and rarely feature the others? No it doesn't count. Futures End is about Firestorm, Batman Beyond and masked Superman.
    Grifter is in Future's End more than the masked Superman.

And Midnighter is having a pretty great showing in "Grayson" so far.

And, perhaps this is just me being wierd, but I'm not sure how your enjoyment of Swamp Thing would be effected by whether or not Gen 13 have launched with Superboy yet.

Yeah, Firestorm and Batman Beyond are big deals, but Masked Superman only in the past couple weeks has had much focus. Its completely erroneous to say at this point that its more about him than Grifter, whose appeared way more.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I read the entire solicitation list for November and not a single mention of ANYTHING Wildstorm related (collections of old material doesn't count) and I'm sick of it. I'm already not getting anything they publish for the first time in over a decade and a half(not even any Vertigo) but they've treated this particular fan so poorly that I've decided to completely avoid buying anything from them all together for the foreseeable future until something MAJORLY changes. HINTS that Gen13 MIGHT get a book is NOT ENOUGH. HINTS that Jim Lee MIGHT be returning to WildCATs is NOT ENOUGH. I'm tired of waiting and I'm not going trudge through DC's entire catalogue to find whatever random book they decide to grace a Wildstorm character in.

I generally don't boycott things just because I'm not that type of guy, but I feel this might be long overdue.
    Wildstorm is all over Future's End. I would be shocked if they don't spin a Wildstorm Universe book out of the weekly. Kaizen Gamorra has appeared in a few books lately and Midnighter is in Grayson. Frankly, I think it's smarter to integrate the characters into the DCU without their own book because that tends to end up isolated.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    Exactly, have you notified DC that you will be boycotting them? I'm sure they will react immediately.
    Not sure if sarcasm...

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

There are other books out there, other publishers, y'know. There are plenty of other fish. My money will now go to more of those other fish instead of waiting for a fish I hate to start tasting good. Yeah, it may not mean a thing to a big corporation, but it's partially done for my own piece of mind. Who knows, maybe others feel the same.
    I don't think that's his point.

The point is, your LCS will order 20 issues of WW for the shelves no matter what. They'll order 10 issues of Red Lanterns for the shelves no matter what. DC will see that $$ regardless if you don't buy.

What DC WILL see is if you STOP pulling what you are already pulling.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Not sure if sarcasm...
    it's hard to tell... lol.. dc did take action on some of my grievances in the past:

hal becoming parallax.
    barry's death.
    superman's death.
    ted kord getting killed.

at this moment, i'm still waiting for damian (and the 'real' kon-el) to come back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Grifter is in Future's End more than the masked Superman.

And Midnighter is having a pretty great showing in "Grayson" so far.

And, perhaps this is just me being wierd, but I'm not sure how your enjoyment of Swamp Thing would be effected by whether or not Gen 13 have launched with Superboy yet.
    I stopped reading Swamp Thing after they changed creative teams a while back, but the point is that there is a drastic onesidedness to the way they've done this. I've got to read about Batman's sidekick to get a Midnighter fix? I've got to read about Firestorm and Hawkman to get a Grifter fix? Why can't I read about a Wildstorm character or group that just happens to cross with DC characters? It's COMPLETELY bias.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I stopped reading Swamp Thing after they changed creative teams a while back, but the point is that there is a drastic onesidedness to the way they've done this. I've got to read about Batman's sidekick to get a Midnighter fix? I've got to read about Firestorm and Hawkman to get a Grifter fix? Why can't I read about a Wildstorm character or group that just happens to cross with DC characters? It's COMPLETELY bias.
    Short answer - the stuff doesn't sell. Long answer - some of that is DC'a fault, some of it that Wildstorm rode a wave for a decade that wasn't sustainable, some of it is that you are unlikely to ever get a writer the quality of Warren Ellis anywhere near the title again. As I said before, if you love those characters the best thing that can happen to them is to be slowly integrated into the DCU so that they start building up organic fanbases of DC fans that cause them to get books again. If they just relaunch Stormwatch or Gen-13 on its lonesome it is destined to fail

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I don't think that's his point.

The point is, your LCS will order 20 issues of WW for the shelves no matter what. They'll order 10 issues of Red Lanterns for the shelves no matter what. DC will see that $$ regardless if you don't buy.

What DC WILL see is if you STOP pulling what you are already pulling.
    I had Futures End on my pull list and recently dropped it. I was pulling about 11 books when the New52 started and it was gradually whittled down(some were cancelled...most were cancelled) to one(Stormwatch...then that was cancelled) and I almost started my boycott there, but I wanted to see if Futures End would respect my favorite characters but no. Stormwatch is dead and Grifter never wears his mask. It's ****.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Short answer - the stuff doesn't sell. Long answer - some of that is DC'a fault, some of it that Wildstorm rode a wave for a decade that wasn't sustainable, some of it is that you are unlikely to ever get a writer the quality of Warren Ellis anywhere near the title again. As I said before, if you love those characters the best thing that can happen to them is to be slowly integrated into the DCU so that they start building up organic fanbases of DC fans that cause them to get books again. If they just relaunch Stormwatch or Gen-13 on its lonesome it is destined to fail
    Nothing is "destined to fail" unless you put no effort at all into it succeeding. Putting Liefeld or Jim Starlin on Wildstorm books means you WANT THEM TO FAIL. Those creators have their followings, sure, but their followings are not the same that followed Wildstorm. I'm not asking for Warren Ellis to return. Those guys that did the last issue of Stormwatch could have had a fantastic run, but no, the book had to be cancelled so they could bury the characters in the first issue of a crappy event book. Wildstorm was almost always about new talent(Warren Ellis was new-ish talent) pushing the limits, and not old creators trying to make a buck by putting out rehashed tripe.
    Last edited by DaveEB; 08-19-2014 at 08:25 PM.