View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 53 of 97 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Have you told DC what you're doing?

Otherwise, they may not really notice. And one person not buying DC comic books by himself would more likely affect the comic book shop where he bought those books in the past, not DC.
    I did just that a couple of years ago. I'd given the new 52 a shot twice. I mostly found it to be emotionally hollow, with no heart, camaraderie, or sense of heroism. I thought that they fixed some things that were never broken to begin with. Example: Black Canary's origin didn't need to be....turned in to what it was. And there were some interesting characters/story ideas that were just dropped. Starling from BoP, a fan favorite in the making? Revealed as a traitor. Dropped from the book and into limbo. The Flash's Singh/Piper subplot? Dropped and ignored. DC set up ideas and plots and never used them.

Not gonna talk about the old DCU. Management already screwed that up, too.

So I dropped the books I was reading (about 16 of Wave 1, a couple of Wave 2). The things I've heard about the titles since then have convinced me that I did the right thing. Aside from Rogues' Rebellion and a Flash title, I have avoided the new 52 save for leafing through the odd comic at the LCS.

Between the shabby treatment of creators, the constant last-minute changes, and the weird pre-Crisis-meets-1990s-Image sensibility, I'm uncomfortable supporting DC Comics. I can't get behind a company whose management just doesn't care.

I am not alone. I have several friends who finally threw up their hands and dropped the new 52. They'll pick up Vertigo, Batman 66, but not the new 52.

I wrote a letter to Diane Nelson explaining why I was not buying the new 52. I am considering a letter to Mr. Tsujihara (Warners' new CEO) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    I wrote a letter to Diane Nelson explaining why I was not buying the new 52. I am considering a letter to Mr. Tsujihara (Warners' new CEO) as well.
    What did you say to her and did she respond?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jan Itor View Post
    1. So you stopped buying DC, big whoop. Get about 30,000 others to follow you and then DC will start listening to you.
    2. Proclaiming your boycott after about a dozen "I'm through with DC" threads shows an over-inflated sense of self.
    3. It's even worse when your reasons for boycotting are wrong.
    So what are the right reasons for boycotting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    DC has problems imo and thats not really a secret (Batbooks, Teen Titans a few other minor gripes). But I don't understand how Marvel get a pass with their 616 Universe. Marvel stories depress me more than DC stories half the time. The big events are so morbid and a lot of the big heroes have been performing immoral actions since 2006.
    This is a good point. But at Marvel, at least there are books that (usually) have no connection to those events. Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, and She-Hulk certainly don't.

I find the events annoying, but at DC, there's no escaping them. See: the Villains Month holo-covers. And the back-to-back Green Lantern events.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Vell View Post
    Not trying to be mean, but if DC went back to the way you want it to, they'd go out of business.
    How exactly?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    What did you say to her and did she respond?
    She didn't respond. I told her that I was disillusioned by DC's broken promises and bait-and-switch tactics. I also said I couldn't support a company that keeps changing plans on a dime and never resolves previous ideas. (I don't have the letter in front of me, and those weren't my exact words.)

I sent the letter via snail mail. I'm pretty sure it went to the right address.

Look, I don't want pre-Crisis Earth back. And yeah, I accept that pre-nuCoke Earth ain't coming back. (More likely, it'll be merged somehow with nuCoke DCU at some point.) I just feel the management (mostly) has little respect for its history, creators, and fans. IMO, they don't get it and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Look, I don't want pre-Crisis Earth back. And yeah, I accept that pre-nuCoke Earth ain't coming back. (More likely, it'll be merged somehow with nuCoke DCU at some point.) I just feel the management (mostly) has little respect for its history, creators, and fans. IMO, they don't get it and don't care.
    I'm fine with either the pre-Crisis or post-Crisis DCU as the alternative to what we have now.

I want the history and legacy to count again, and I want Superman's old outfit back. You all remember it of course, that old thing that worked just fine for 73 years but suddenly had to go. Having Action and Detective return to their original numbering would be nice, though DC's already screwed that up by changing it in the first place, so even then it won't be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    I'm fine with either the pre-Crisis or post-Crisis DCU as the alternative to what we have now.
    I really love pre and post crisis but I like post more because that's when things started growing and changing for everyone, some better than others. But to me the changes felt natural.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I really love pre and post crisis but I like post more because that's when things started growing and changing for everyone, some better than others. But to me the changes felt natural.
    I liked how they retconned back in pre-Crisis elements to characters after Infinite Crisis. That was the best of both worlds IMO.

Spectacular Member

I'm not sure my opinion even matters anymore (I'll get to it).

First, what I'd like; classic pre-NU52 character statuses to return, along with histories, proper timeframe etc.. (Superman married/parents alive, Steph was Batgirl, Tim is competent, proper Teen Titans, Batman was on the job for longer than 10-minutes etc.) Obviously, main NU52 Batman/Green Lantern stories that would have been told anyway should be folded into it, maybe even most of the Justice League adventures folded in, too as a sort of "these happened somewhere in the timeline". Any story that happened in the NU52 that could be folded back into the pre-NU52 should be, but obviously with the proper character history/supporting cast etc.

Why my opinion doesn't matter anymore; if they did this, I would totally want to buy the main DCU again (totally abandoned main universe, but still get the other DC comics/40-page digital first prints) BUT the money I have has been drastically slashed and could never actually buy any decent amount of them anymore. Pre-NU52 I was getting 30+ DC comics,I'd be able to barely buy anything now.

BTW... I was looking for something else entirely and stumbled upon this little gem:

Didio: 'No more character reboots'

8 November 2009 8:50 PM, PST | Digital Spy | See recent Digital Spy - Movie News news »

DC Comics executive editor Dan Didio has revealed that there will be no rebooting of characters in the wake of Blackest Night. However, he claimed that the revolving door of death, which sees roles who are supposed to have been dead returning over the course of time, is "a staple of comic book storytelling". Didio told Newsarama: "The thing that will be disappearing will be the rebooting of characters, where a character dies and you don't know how to bring him back, so you just bring (more) »

- By Ian Mason
    Here- http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1169876/
    Here- http://z6.*****************/BoardWit...ic=1647&st=880
    Here- http://www.digitalspy.com/comics/new...oNyQqVICMkCpXJ

Strangely enough, I could not find the Newsarama article they referenced. It appears to have been taken down.

I also found this from 2008:
    A Reboot Of DC Comics Before Comic-Con?
    Interesting that Didio may have been at the brink of losing his position to Palmiotti according to that article.

And then here, JMS reveals in mid-2011 that a reboot was Didio's dream "for really more than a year", which would place it shortly after he told Newsarama "no more reboots":
    http://comicsbeat.com/jms-reboot-was-didios-dream/
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 06-03-2015 at 06:13 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I didn't like many of the changes that occured during post-crisis. Post-Crisis did have its high-points but if given a choice would much rather have pre-Crisis return than pre-Flashpoint. That's just me, of course.

It's too soon to start again, give the New 52 5-7 years to see where it goes, then after that they can consider it all a dream of the Spectre's and me can go back to the old continuity. At least that's how I feel, but since I've dropped most of my DC Books maybe I'm not the guy to ask.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-13-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    I wouldn't have gotten into monthly titles if it wasn't for the New52 allowing me to start from #1. I also like most the changes that were made to characters, against everyone else's opinions; Mr. Freeze, Superman's costume etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-el View Post
    Same here. I wasn't a reader of comics at all until the New 52, now I'm dropping $100+ a month on DC, Marvel, and Image. I love the New 52 and I'm thankful for it.
    I'm with you both. I've read a lot of different stories, but I wasn't buying anything new. I probably spent the past 10 years of casually skipping around between DC, Marvel and Darkhorse. Once I felt that I had read all of the stories that caught my eye, I picked up New 52 (about a month ago). Since then I've gone through back issues on Superman's, Batman's, Justice League's, Deathstroke's, Hal Jordan's and Flash's lines for a firm grasp of the history and state of the major continuity. Every now and then I read something that I would have changed, but above all it's a pretty solid story and I'm actually excited for stories yet to be released (Anti-Monitor/Darkseid War and Lobo). I'm enjoying it.