View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 56 of 97 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

LET'S FORM RANTRON!

Activate thread-merge, passwords connected, moderator ID verified, click to GO!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The New 52 is pretty great. There have been stumbles, sure, but nothing that horrible. On the whole, I like it more than the old universe.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

There are some great parts, but as a whole its far inferior to way came before. And I'm saying this as someone who started reading this year.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I am loving the new 52, people need to realize that this is a brand new universe, anything is fair game. They can change anything they want. Seems like they don't understand what a reboot is. And welcome!
    THANKS! And yeah, I love it as well and yeah, being a brand new universe, it's fair to change it however the writer feels. It's not like Batman turned to a stone cold killer or Superman believing he is a god (well you know what I mean, god as in the almight, not Darkseid). Just the changes that gives us a fresher and more flavorful take.

Oh yeah, sorry, I shoulda called this a discussion instead of a "rant".

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

To be honest, this thread will probably only open the same cans of worms much discussed elsewhere. I can understand you not wanting to trawl your way through the 'mighty, mighty' thread though.

To most detractors (although not all) the basic problem is that the reboot took 'their' DC universe away.

BTW - I'm a fan of the New 52. Just get that in there before this thread gets merged.....

Lot of people love new 52

It's just that the voice of the haters are often louder....it's just like everything related to DC these days - look at MOS. It may seem like most people hate/dislike the movie, but the fact is that most people love it. Just a small group of people hate/dislike it for whatever reason...and their voice is just much louder.

I am a fairly new reader; began with new 52. Went back and read a lot of the pre 52 stuff (major story lines like Crises, Killing Joke, Death of Superman etc). I love them, and I see the reason why many folks dislike the new 52 for it.

A lot of the characters changed (but, that's for the good). Superman and Batman are nothing like when they were created (even in the pre 52). So, it isn't a question of being faithful to the original interpretation, but rather a question of being open minded and being more willing to see different interpretations of our fav characters.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    There are some great parts, but as a whole its far inferior to way came before.
    Hasn't this always been true?

BANNED

I am an old reader, I bought the original Crisis in floppies as it came out. I love the old universe, but ya know what? I love the new 52. In fact, I've bought more titles starring characters I never was into before than at any other point in my comic reading life. There are some books I didn't like, but I think it's mostly good to great. I agree with later comments, there are tons of people who love it. It's a very loud vocal minority who only want their old DC, which was not some older reader before them's DC most likely, that you see online. There's room to love the old universe and the new universe.

BANNED

There are some great parts, but as a whole its far inferior to way came before. And I'm saying this as someone who started reading this year.
    If you just started reading this year, how do you know it's inferior to what came before?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mog View Post
    I mean, i can understand that veteran readers who've been following the comics since way way back, hating it cuz they just lost all of what their following.
    Yes, exactly. All those characters I followed for two decades? All that growth and development? All those second and third generation legacy characters? Gone, just like that.

A lot was sacrificed for this shallower, streamlined universe, and it just hasn't been worth it.

Shouldn't readers give them a chance to prove themselves, since it's a reboot, the characters should start off with many flaws and such and work their way towards what they really stand for.
    The thing is, we've already seen that, in most cases. What we older readers are getting is an inferior retread. It's inherently unsatisfying.

What are your thoughts on this? I can appreciate and accept opinions since everyone has their own, whether they dislike it or like it. I just don't think people should keep associating the new 52 with whatever happened in the pre-new52. Yes, people will always judge, but i feel it limits your experience if you don't see it for what it is.
    I tried 13 titles when the New 52 launched, and then Earth-2 made it 14 when it came along. The only one that lasted a year was Aquaman, until I was driven away by the bleak and violent storyline. I won't go into every reason I dropped every book here, but Action, Superman, Batman, The Flash and all the others failed to engage me in one way or the other. The only book I'm still buying is Green Lantern, and that's because it's well written, and is largely disconnected from the rest of the New 52. I tried Doomed, and it didn't hold a candle to the original Superman/Doomsday storylines. On and on it goes. Future's End is another book I tried, and apart from the Brainiac plotline, the book bored me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I am loving the new 52, people need to realize that this is a brand new universe,
    Not really. There's very little in it in the way of genuinely new ideas. When I read the first arc of Justice League and the villain was, once again, Darkseid, I knew where we were going. Repackage the old, pretend that it's new. Trotting out the Crime Syndicate for Forever Evil was supposed to be so dramatic, but all I could think was "again?".

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Hasn't this always been true?
    That doesn't excuse it.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Lot of people love new 52

It's just that the voice of the haters are often louder....it's just like everything related to DC these days - look at MOS. It may seem like most people hate/dislike the movie, but the fact is that most people love it. Just a small group of people hate/dislike it for whatever reason...and their voice is just much louder.

I am a fairly new reader; began with new 52. Went back and read a lot of the pre 52 stuff (major story lines like Crises, Killing Joke, Death of Superman etc). I love them, and I see the reason why many folks dislike the new 52 for it.

A lot of the characters changed (but, that's for the good). Superman and Batman are nothing like when they were created (even in the pre 52). So, it isn't a question of being faithful to the original interpretation, but rather a question of being open minded and being more willing to see different interpretations of our fav characters.
    There's the word I'm looking for. "Open-minded"

Yeah, when I feel like I need a break from the current series or I'm waiting for new ones to come out, I go back to stories like Hush, Killing Joke, Last Son, even Blackest Night.

That's why I can understand some fans hating it, but I feel that MOST hate (I'm not saying all hate over the same reason), reason being, "Superman isn't suppose to be this way, bring back the post-crisis Superman" or "Wtf!? What happened to boy-scout Supes? And that type of reason for disliking it is nostalgia, and not for what it is by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    If you just started reading this year, how do you know it's inferior to what came before?
    I've read just as much post-crisis as I have New 52. The PC stuff is way better, and the characters are much more interesting (and likable). Plus, my new favorite superheros are Wally West and Ted Lord. I'm also a big Titans fan. Most of them DON'T exist. The versions that do are so different they aren't interesting. Wally's a delinquent, Starfire's a junkie, Nightwing's a spy? That just sounds dumb. And yes I know they're different versions. That's why I can enjoy stuff like Flash and Wonder Woman, who are still interesting even if they are different. Too many characters aren't good enough to mae the changes worth it.
    Last edited by FlashingSabre; 11-21-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    Cyclops was right

BANNED

I've read just as much post-crisis as I have New 52. The PC stuff is way better, and the characters are much more interesting (and likable). Plus, my new favorite superheros are Wally West and Ted Lord. I'm also a big Titans fan. Most of them DON'T exist. The versions that do are so different they aren't interesting. Wally's a delinquent, Starfire's a junkie, Nightwing's a spy? That just sounds dumb. And yes I know they're different versions. That's why I can enjoy stuff like Flash and Wonder Woman, who are still interesting even if they are different. Too many characters aren't good enough to mae the changes worth it.
    You mean your favorite character Ted KORD, right? Night wings a spy sounds dumb, so it is? It's a fantastic book. Post Crisis was good, and so was pre crisis. I was reading post zero hour... It was all good, and so is the new 52. I'm open to reading new versions of the characters , as I have always been.