View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 58 of 97 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

The Earth One line seems to be dc's ultimate line. Maybe one day, something like the earth one line will become the main line in the next reboot. Maybe in the next reboot, Engineer will be the JL founder rather than Cyborg.

Fantastic Member

One of the things that has impressed me most about the New 52 is that they gave tougher personalities to Superman, and arguably to Wonder Woman and Aquaman, and made them stick. However they did it, they've reduced if not eliminated a wishy-washiness that was a big part of Superman for 20+ years. And shorty before the New 52 started, I stated why that was an urgent need:

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2011/07/w...-superman.html

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

I don't really hate the post-flashpoint DCU but I suppose I've got issues with it. There
    are some superficial things (like all the glowy line costumes) which I can easily get
    over, there are some elements (like “prettying up” Lobo and Waller or making pretty
    much everyone in their 20's) that are vaguely offensive but more to my social
    sensibilities rather than to the story per se... But still, that's kinda shady. Certianly not
    the worst thing in the world though.

My biggest “problems” with the new DCU is it is in many ways less for the merging of
    the universes rather than more. The things that made Wildstorm / Vertigo great were
    significantly diluted and the same could be said about the old DCU. In stead of the post
    flashpoint universe having the darkness of Vertigo, the wide screen splash of
    Wildstorm and the depth of the DCU we have a universe built more on common ground
    rather than the strengths of the imprints that made it up. And also... and this is a whole
    other rant, the sorts of issues that were hurting DC before the reboot are the same
    sorts of issues that existed built into the new universe.

That said, there've been a number of pretty great stories. It's not all bad. I'm not
    clambering for dc to take it back. It's just underwhelming when compared to what it
    could be.

Post-coie did a better job at integration with its JL of Batman, Dr Fate, Captain marvel, Blue Beetle, Mr Miracle, Ray, etc. New 52 JL should've been Superman, Batman, Flash, GL, Wonder Woman and quickly joined by Constantine, Grifter, Voodoo, Cyborg, Static, Mr Terrific, Shazam, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Mr Miracle, Big Barda, Ray, Etrigan, Omac, Pandora, etc. I would've preferred a reboot of the Legion to move the Legion to the 21st century to make it easier to integrate Legion into the 21st century dcu.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 11-22-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Lo and behold, . . .

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    I would've preferred a reboot of the Legion to move the Legion to the 21st century to make it easier to integrate Legion into the 21st century dcu.
    Isn't that what happened in Legion Lost?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    I know this may be a bit of a firestorm. But I like the new 52. I was a marvel reader that got to lost in the complicated story lines. You had to read 5 books to understand the story (ie avengers dissemble, civil war, house of m, planet hulk, secret invasion, dark avengers, Thor, just to understand seige). It was crazy

New 52 allowed me to start fresh and pick it up at number 1s. I bought back issues of justice league, omac, justice leage of America, all on ebay. I'm current and I like it.

Glad dc did the new 52
    cC
    I'm not crazy about the New 52 but it is at least as good as what came before. I'm a little sad that Lois and Clark never had a super baby while they were married.

I agree with you that I hate when you have to buy many issues of other comics to follow a story, but DC does this too.

I've been reading DC comics for 25 years, from all eras. I love the New 52. I can't stand when people presume to speak for me ("The New 52 is an insult to fans of the old DCU!"). If you don't like it, that's on you. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the work being done, which I find to be a pretty high standard on average. It just means you don't like it for whatever reason. Is it better or worse than what came before? It's about the same. But it has a new energy and cohesivenes that I'm enjoying immensely.

All-New Member

I had high hopes for Superman in the New 52, but sadly, they haven't really materialized.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I've been reading DC comics for 25 years, from all eras. I love the New 52. I can't stand when people presume to speak for me ("The New 52 is an insult to fans of the old DCU!"). If you don't like it, that's on you. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the work being done, which I find to be a pretty high standard on average. It just means you don't like it for whatever reason. Is it better or worse than what came before? It's about the same. But it has a new energy and cohesivenes that I'm enjoying immensely.
    Fans speaking for themselves. I cannot stress that enough. It's cool if you don't like it, just don't drag me down with you.

I think some of the books that started out in the New 52 definitely had some problems, like Superboy, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, amongst others, but most all of the storylines they're running right now have been really, really good (Future's End, Batman Eternal, Snyder's Batman run, Johns and JRR on Superman, Johns' run on the JL). At least, I think so.

I was always interested in comics but I never got into it until the New 52, because of the universal jumping on point at issue 1. Since then I've gone back and read a ton of stuff. But the New 52 reboot definitely inspired me to read any of it.

I like the New 52. I've been reading both DC and Marvel on and off for almost 40 years now. I initially got into the new 52 just reading the Batman and Superman titles and thought they were all well done. Was really happy to see Barbara Gordon back on her feet as Batgirl. A couple of months ago I picked up all the issues of the now ended Ravagers series. I wanted to read it because it introduced Beast Boy and Terra into the new 52 universe and as a fan of both of those characters and the pairing, I loved that they brought in Terra as good and her and Beast Boy got into a relationship. I also enjoyed the series overall and can't understand why people didn't like it so much. I also didn't like the way they ended the series.

Now though, it just seems like DC is branching out too much into all these different Earths and continuities. It kinda makes it hard to follow what's going on overall.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

I don't read DC but I'm looking into the New 52 and I have a dumb question.

What do the colours at the top of the trades mean? There are orange, blue, red, green etc.

So far I think the blue mean Superman, girl, boy etc but the others I have no idea.

Uhh the colours I think represent the type of books

Blue - i think is related to New 52
    Red - probably second print? not sure
    Orange - Digital First

Spectacular Member

The colors are the family of books Red is "Justice League", Grey is "Batman", Blue is "Superman", Green is "Green Lantern" Yellow-Orange is "Young Justice", Red-Orange is "Edge" and Brown is "Dark"