View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 6 of 97 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Well, I guess now we have a thread to balance the "I love the new52" where tons of people are talking about how much they like what DC is doing now...
    What's ironic is that it doesn't even seem like the OP is quitting because of the New 52, but more so because he doesn't want to buy into constant event after event, which is the model that both DC and Marvel seem to be following.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    What's ironic is that it doesn't even seem like the OP is quitting because of the New 52, but more so because he doesn't want to buy into constant event after event, which is the model that both DC and Marvel seem to be following.
    Yeah, both of the big two companies have gotten into a rut wherein events have become the monthly routine, which is annoying.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Me too. I'm glad you didn't say you were going to Marvel because they are both the same beast.

New_Teen_Titans_Vol_1_39.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Just be like me and continue to read the older DC books. I've found so many great series I never would have looked into before that are often not only much cheaper than the Nu52 books, but also much better quality-wise.
    Agreed. That's what I've started doing, buying old trades and the archives. I've only been reading for 26 years, so I've got a ways to go to catch up with you.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

We have a departure song for Darrin.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I’m curious, how can you find it hard to understand or storylines complicated when most stories are summed up on Wikipedia or fan sites. Along with the accessibility to MB’s like this one, where other readers are only too pleased to fill you in on what is happening. It’s a quick and easy way to get up to speed as to what is going on. Further it’s not as if every facet of a characters history needs to be known to follow a story. And many of the supplementary books that support a main storyline (ie. House of M) are really not necessary to the main story.

You shouldn't have to look on Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I hear this line of thinking a lot, and it does appear attractive. Believe me when I say a lot of thought was given to doing just that. It was the ideal solution for many of the "lesser" characters for sure. The big problem is that DCs most marketable character (by a factor of a thousand) does not lend itself to a complete reboot. Reintroducing Batman w/o 75 years of the mythos would be an almost impossible task - how exactly do you write a Joker story and act like they've never faced each other before? A brand new threat - the Joker! We would have also gone through 5-10 years of re-introducing Robins starting with a Dick Grayson that was 14-16 years old and retold 1000's of pages of story. Superman has the same problem to a lesser degree (and that's why they split a new telling of his start in Action, while doing "current" stories in Superman), but protecting the Batman brand is (and probably should be) DC's #1 priority. The whole thing makes a lot more sense if you just say they completely rebooted everyone except the Bat family and GL (so Johns could finish telling his almost 10 year epic that revitalized the character) and Morrison changes Superman's beginnings a bit. Messy sure, but the best of many less than ideal options.
    That sums up most of my problems in a nutshell. While I've come to like several New52 books now (Batwoman, Batgirl, Green Arrow now that it has a good creative team behind it), I've always had 3 main prolems:

1. they had just finished setting up new arcs, or were in the middle of new story arcs in the previous continuity that got cut off abruptly with the relaunch;
    2. Characters I loved were either no longer around at all (Stephanie and Cassandra) or changed so radically that I no longer recognized or even liked them (Tim Drake);
    and 3: the selective nature of the reboot. AlexanderLutor makes a valid point- how do you reintroduce and iconic character like Batman without the history behind him? How do you explain Damian as Robin without Dick Grayson being where Robin first came from? But the problem now is that Bruce had 4 Robins in five years, and that made no sense.

I've grown accustomed to the New52. I can even say I've grown to love some of it. But I will never stop missing the characters I loved.

All of that being said, i was with my best friend this weekend, and she wants to get into the X-Men comics and was looking for a good place to start. And that's when the sheer logic of the New52 hit me- with over 50 years of X-Men comics, where do you start? and I actually found myself starting to recommend some New52 titles, because it would be easier for her as a new reader to get into rather than wading through hundreds of back issues so you can figure out just how many times Jan Grey died.

All of that being said, i was with my best friend this weekend, and she wants to get into the X-Men comics and was looking for a good place to start. And that's when the sheer logic of the New52 hit me- with over 50 years of X-Men comics, where do you start? and I actually found myself starting to recommend some New52 titles, because it would be easier for her as a new reader to get into rather than wading through hundreds of back issues so you can figure out just how many times Jan Grey died.
    Marvel would probably like to point your friend to newest #1 as starting point. But honestly Marvel has kinda got ridiculous with their relaunches, some books even have same creative teams and continue same story as previous volume so picking up #1 is practically same as picking up #39 which is basically same as picking up #325...

Astonishing Member

Yeah X-Men's convoluted history is a turn-off for me, and all the #1's in the world won't change that. I'd only read X-Men again if Marvel did a New 52 style reboot.

At the very least I was hoping Marvel would reset the Ultimate Universe during all that Cataclysm stuff so I could at least read that, but nope.

Amazing Member

I've never understood that whole "It's too confusing thing", I've found that generally when you're starting at the start of a new story arc it should be easy enough. I don't like big reboots, I think they're lazy writing but I hate a lot of the editorial decisions DC have made since the reboot. Thing is though, reboot or not those decisions would still have been made and we'd still be getting the same quality (or lack of quality) books.

The old dcu wasn't too confusing. The Marvel verse isn't too confusing. They were/are too convoluted. There's a difference. You can understand something that's convoluted, but that doesn't mean its optimal.

I'm another one of those people who only started collecting outside of collected books since the New 52, although admittedly I was about a year or so slow on the uptake, but even so I still felt as though I could jump in and catch up easily, and now I'm collecting more monthly's than I thought I ever would and loving it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    I know this may be a bit of a firestorm. But I like the new 52. I was a marvel reader that got to lost in the complicated story lines. You had to read 5 books to understand the story (ie avengers dissemble, civil war, house of m, planet hulk, secret invasion, dark avengers, Thor, just to understand seige). It was crazy

New 52 allowed me to start fresh and pick it up at number 1s. I bought back issues of justice league, omac, justice leage of America, all on ebay. I'm current and I like it.

Glad dc did the new 52
    It's not a firestorm. With the new rules no one is allowed to disagree with you.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    That sums up most of my problems in a nutshell. While I've come to like several New52 books now (Batwoman, Batgirl, Green Arrow now that it has a good creative team behind it), I've always had 3 main prolems:

1. they had just finished setting up new arcs, or were in the middle of new story arcs in the previous continuity that got cut off abruptly with the relaunch;

2. Characters I loved were either no longer around at all (Stephanie and Cassandra) or changed so radically that I no longer recognized or even liked them (Tim Drake);
    and

3: the selective nature of the reboot. AlexanderLutor makes a valid point- how do you reintroduce and iconic character like Batman without the history behind him? How do you explain Damian as Robin without Dick Grayson being where Robin first came from? But the problem now is that Bruce had 4 Robins in five years, and that made no sense.

I've grown accustomed to the New52. I can even say I've grown to love some of it. But I will never stop missing the characters I loved.
    1. Agreed. They should have finished old storylines in the old universe and NOT have them bleed over into the new espeically Batman Incorporated.

2. Agreed. They needed to plan much further ahead than they apparently did and needed a more unified approach. The characters they introduced and re-introduced were ill-concieved and, often, poorly timed.

3. I think that was the purpose of 5 years later. It's a clever idea that solves many issues if done correctly.
    We do not need to know everything that happened in the first 5 years; however, they do need to have a fairly accurate understanding what occured in this time period and I don't think TPTB organized their thinking in this area.

I miss my beloved characters also. Maybe the next crisis will clean up some of this mess. (Yeah, right.)

i as well i love in fact. Only a few things i was upset namely about and that no more superboy prime and the change in spectre's origin, but hey it's still a young universe i will get into it. Still i enjoy the new 52 immensely.

Still i do miss cassandra cain, donna troy and the old lucifer though.