View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 8 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    As a marketing tool it is a huge success. As a reboot, many titles felt like parts of ongoing stories.

Really, I find it interesting that two and a half years later we're still talking about continuity problems that most of us feel should have been worked out before the reboot. Especially when you consider how long they knew the reboot was coming. Even after the CBR reboot, one of the first Batman threads was about the things that aren't going right with the Batman reboot.
    Respectfully, I think that's as much a statement on the folks who post in forums like this as it is a statement about what DC should or could have done.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Do you think they rushed on purpose, or were there external factors that led to the rush?
    No idea. What do you think?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I have been reading comics since the 60's
    Was buying a few every week once I had a full time job
    Around 2002 I was starting to not collect and just read, because of
    all the re-launches and changes and events that were starting to happen more.
    By 2011 I was down to collecting no Marvel (reading just 1-2 a month)
    and collecting a handful of D C Comics.

I decided I would use the New 52 to try and find the passion and fun I once had for reading comics
    and following some favorite characters, I have also used Marvel One and phase two to attempt renewal
    of my love for following there Universe.

Year two had some bumps and annoyances in the New 52, but now I feel D C has found the right people
    with enough talent to compete with other publishers, and people who are on the same page.
    This has given raise to most of the New 52 titles across the board (there are a few duds for sure, but even they have some strong merits)

I am currently reading 10-13 New 52 books a week (a few I will jump on and off and on again)
    But, for the most part, I always go into the comic shop each week planning to buy most of the New 52 books available for that week.

I do feel there is much D C needs to tighten up on and others they need to stop going back to.
    But over all I have more interest and from that fun following and reading D C Comics then most
    other companies titles.

Looking forward to seeing Doom Patrol in Justice League this Summer.
    Also hope Geoff Johns can do for Superman what he did for Aquaman in the New 52
    Great post

BANNED

I love the New 52, myself. It is great seeing these classic heroes look like they belong in our era instead of being outcasts from the 1940s. It was always funny to see DC brand the JSA from WW2, but they were still teaming up with 'modern' super heroes who still dressed like them. Why would costumes not change since the 40s?

That said, not every 'experiment' in the reboot is working. Batman is still great, but Green Arrow still isn't as cool as the original character. It's getting there, though...

There are little corners of the New 52 that need fixing, like all of the Wildstorm properties, Milestone heroes, and the Teen stuff...

I'd HATE to see the New 52 'revert'. I'd rather see it improve under its own merits.

I really like what they did with OMAC and are doing with the fourth world characters. I think they've brought the KIRBY characters into a new light and have done it with much respect. I'm looking forward to the FOREVER PEOPLE new 52

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    No idea. What do you think?
    I think the higher ups at WB saw how sales had been dropping year over year and laid down the law, and gave them a deadline that prevented them from necessarily doing things exactly the way we might have preferred.

I've worked for big companies, and a lot of times that's what they do - the guys at the top make a fast decision and everybody else has to make it work.

I also like the New 52. I was mostly a Marvel guy for years but the New 52 pulled me in and I enjoy a good number of DC titles now. My biggest negatives are that I don’t like the New 52 versions of Harley Quinn and Superboy.

Two characters that I never really cared about until the New 52 are Flash and Cyborg. Now I am becoming a fan of both those characters.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I think the higher ups at WB saw how sales had been dropping year over year and laid down the law, and gave them a deadline that prevented them from necessarily doing things exactly the way we might have preferred.

I've worked for big companies, and a lot of times that's what they do - the guys at the top make a fast decision and everybody else has to make it work.
    That an excellent summation of what I believe happened here as well.

I'm enjoying a lot more DC titles since the reboot myself and I think that things have improved for a lot of characters over the course of the last several years even. There are still corners of the DCnU that could stand some improvement and some characters and titles in need of a change in direction but all in all I'd rather see DC continue to improve the existing universe then to have it revert back to the previous one. Things are just now starting to come together and if they can work out the kinks I think the DCnU could continue to become a cohesive whole and might turn out to actually be better then the continuity that was left behind.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

I agree. I'm all too familiar with edicts from management.

This is why I think DC should plan to do a reboot every 10 to 15 years. Even if it does not happen, they still need to develop an organized, detailed plan with a clear vision and goals. I can only see them benefiting from this.

Every so often, everyone must take out the garbadge and get your act together.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I agree. I'm all too familiar with edicts from management.

This is why I think DC should plan to do a reboot every 10 to 15 years. Even if it does not happen, they still need to develop an organized, detailed plan with a clear vision and goals. I can only see them benefiting from this.

Every so often, everyone must take out the garbadge and get your act together.
    The only problem with that is that by the time the mandate comes down, there will be a new Editor-in-Chief and and he will want to put his/her own stamp on the new universe. Thus, DC will be blind-sighted once more as the new editor and his staff scramble to come up with something reasonable.

Sad to see, even if i know how you feel. I've toyed with this myself. I have been reading comics for 25 plus years. While i continue to find one or two titles to keep me current, im not far from going stricktly back issues. Part of thisbis the yearly super event. some are lots of fun, i usualy try to give them a chance. Nearly all fall flat though. So good luck, enjoy what your still reading.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    The Superman costume change alone is one major reason I don't support the Nu52. Imagine if Chris Reeve had worn that abomination.

What the hell you talking about?

Looks great on him!
    WHO DAT?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Vell View Post
    What the hell you talking about?

Looks great on him!
    The design is still horrid in my opinion.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

I feel you OP, I don't really read current DC or Marvel stuff anymore. Titles starting and restarting, crossovers, event after event after event. It's exhausting I feel bad for anybody trying to get into comics now, it's a huge mess.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't know, I don't fully understand this logic. I just read what I like, and ignore what I don't.

If DC isn't printing any books I like, I'll read stuff from other companies until they have something I like. I don't say "I'M DONE WITH THE DC CHARACTERS FOREVER!" That's silly.