View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 86 of 97 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1454
    redstyle

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the universe of the comics, and I have a question about the end of the justice league new 52. In the final chapter we can see a Robin fighting with the justice league, and I was wondering who is he ? I mean, Batman called him Dick but he can't be him because we already saw Nightwing in the first chapters when they were recruiting new members if I remember.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by redstyle View Post
    Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the universe of the comics, and I have a question about the end of the justice league new 52. In the final chapter we can see a Robin fighting with the justice league, and I was wondering who is he ? I mean, Batman called him Dick but he can't be him because we already saw Nightwing in the first chapters when they were recruiting new members if I remember.
    That story takes place in the past, when Dick was still Robin. The story where they were recruiting new members took place closer to the present.

BANNED

Anyone got the skinny on Billy Batson post-Rebirth?

Wondering if I can get my "reliving my youth vicariously through young(er) fictional superhuman characters" fix now that Supermans got himself in the family way.

ese

well unlike you all i read was blackest night and ive loved dc even more

All-New Member

jut starting the supergirl new 52 series will i still be able to purchase them with the rebirth series coming out?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gazdadude View Post
    jut starting the supergirl new 52 series will i still be able to purchase them with the rebirth series coming out?
    You mean the New52 trades/graphic novels? Like this:

If so, then yeah. As long as wherever you're buying them from still stocks them then sure. Enjoy!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    You mean the New52 trades/graphic novels? Like this:

If so, then yeah. As long as wherever you're buying them from still stocks them then sure. Enjoy!
    Yep just ordered them with powner girl can anyone recommend a few series to pick up over the next few months

I, like you, have just started New 52 and Batman is great I have a few Aquaman and Detective Comics too.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I don't expect to ever read DC comics again.

If it were just a temporary storyline that might be one thing; as a new status quo it simply is something that I'm not willing to accept. Moreover, it makes enjoying DC comics difficult; every time I'm reminded that this is the new status quo, I get angry and depressed again. I won't be able to enjoy any DC books until that bit of vandalism has been repaired. I also don't see myself as under any obligation to buy comics I won't enjoy reading.
    I agree you have that right. But the thing about Wonder Woman? Her origins suggest a strong tie to Greek mythology, but the substance of her own history is sadly lacking in mythological content. It's there, but it's like it's been pasted on. The birth from clay thing? Not Greek. Hebrew. That makes her Biblical, which is the right era (within a few hundred years of the Homeric age), but the wrong culture. She needs more mythological content to her story, and it needs to be deeply personal. And it needs to come, at least in part, through either her birth or through the Amazons.

That is what writers have been trying to do since Flashpoint ended. Only problem? Fans don't like it. They can't stand changes to what they're used to, and many of them are sadly uninformed when it comes to mythology. Like the fact that islands inhabited solely by women is a recurring theme in Greek mythology, and the myths surrounding women of power all have similarities. So there's plenty of material to draw from, but unfortunately most, if not all, of it paints women in a bad light. The women of Lemnos killed all their men. The Meanads would run drunk through the forest, tearing apart any man they met with their bare hands. That kind of stuff.

The reason it's like that is that the mythology was history as written by men who slowly took over. Many of the stories are like propaganda, similar to the story of Eve and the apple (and sharing some elements). It's ancient anti-feminist propaganda from a time when men were establishing patriarchies from matriarchies. An island inhabited only by women is very Greek, but it ignores the fact that it would die out pretty quickly if they didn't ritualize a way to procreate. And if you believe Robert Graves, writer of "the Greek Myths" (pretty much the Bible of Mythologists), that's exactly what they did. And it has to do with those various myths about women, as distorted by men as they might be.

Or not. Graves also thinks they ritually killed the men they were using, possibly to keep them from sussing out the fact that men have a role in procreation too. Which suggests a method for women to hold power, and the possibility that at least some of the propaganda might be true. It's all vaguely horrifying. But because of it, I for one don't mind a little of that horror finding its way into Wonder Woman at all. But you see, I happen to think WW is a boring character, and that to overcome this, her stories should be at least as steeped in Greek mythology as Thor's have been in Norse.

It might just be better to have the Amazons be immortal, since their queen is Hippolyta of the myths. But the very darkness of the lore makes it all so very interesting to writers.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 01-01-2017 at 09:56 PM.

All-New Member TheSecretSeventh's Avatar

I'm new to the forums and returning to comics after a multi-year hiatus. I found a good "recommendations" thread in the Marvel and Image discussions, but didn't see anything similar here in DC. Is this the place to ask? I don't want to post my novel-length plea for advice if there's another, more appropriate thread...

All-New Member

Why read the new 52 when you can read a comic by DC explaining continuity. You can have a book with Superman, arguably the most well known comic hero in history, and all they do is explain continuity and merge all their crappy versions together so everybody on the internet will stop whining and crying that they don't have their Superman. My Superman was John Bryne's Superman with the crappy powers and the start over from scratch. Almost like the new 52, except for them trying to have their cake and eat it too. Either reboot it, tell good stories or leave it alone and give the fans something else. I don't understand this DC. Where's the stories? Where's the adventure? Where's Superman flying to save people or helping others or joining together with his friends to bash evil? It isn't in Action Comics, that's for sure. Honestly, Superman readers have to be the most patient people on Earth because I personally wouldn't put up with it. So they crapped out on new 52 but it's because the fans want the old Superman? Is that right? Or is it because the writing sucks? I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Doublezero View Post
    Why read the new 52 when you can read a comic by DC explaining continuity. You can have a book with Superman, arguably the most well known comic hero in history, and all they do is explain continuity and merge all their crappy versions together so everybody on the internet will stop whining and crying that they don't have their Superman. My Superman was John Bryne's Superman with the crappy powers and the start over from scratch. Almost like the new 52, except for them trying to have their cake and eat it too. Either reboot it, tell good stories or leave it alone and give the fans something else. I don't understand this DC. Where's the stories? Where's the adventure? Where's Superman flying to save people or helping others or joining together with his friends to bash evil? It isn't in Action Comics, that's for sure. Honestly, Superman readers have to be the most patient people on Earth because I personally wouldn't put up with it. So they crapped out on new 52 but it's because the fans want the old Superman? Is that right? Or is it because the writing sucks? I don't understand.
    It's because of fans who, being addicted to comics, can't handle change because hey, they're addicts and addicts can't handle change. So they whine on and on forever until DC finally caves in and makes it so Lois and Superman are married again. Or Iris and Barry. And Wally magically returns.

There was nothing wrong with the writing that wasn't wrong before Flashpoint. I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky the red underwear hasn't returned too. I know a lot of fans bitched about that as well. But I'm sorry,they really did have to go. In fact, the version we got could still do with some changing. Fortunately, he can now manage that with just a thought.

Hey I just realized. Fans can have their shorts and eat 'em too.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It's probably time to bury this thread very soon.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It's probably time to bury this thread very soon.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Maybe turn it into the mighty rebirth thread or something like that.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Maybe turn it into the mighty rebirth thread or something like that.
    I vote for a completely new one. The original votes have got to be obsolete now.