View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 94 of 97 FirstFirst ... 44849091929394959697 LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1454
    More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    IOW, if it's only a memory of something from a previous continuity, it doesn't really mean anything in regard to the current universe.
    Wally's electric touch revived the memories of a handful of his closest friends, but not his wife Linda. But Superman merged with his new 52 persona, and that actually changed reality, making it so that he and his family (pre-Flashpoint Convergence version) belonged in this new continuity. Everyone touched by them now has a history that is retconned to accommodate them. From this I gather that the biggest complaints fans have had about the new 52 were the changes to Superman and the absence of the original Wally West. I know for sure that Wally's erasure from reality during Flashpoint bothered me. I may not have quite accepted him as the Flash, but I value the character, and have always thought that all it would take to please me was just a little tweaking of his costume. Which I finally got, in the end. I am very happy with his return, and now accept him as the Flash without reservation.

It wasn't just Wally's erasure; it was the loss of virtually all of the original Teen Titans and their history. Even now, most of that is gone. Likewise, we still haven't gotten the JSA back.

I strongly recommend rereading DCU Rebirth: Wally's commentary on the DCU pretty much sums up what was wrong with the New52, all while taking steps to fix said problems.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    It wasn't just Wally's erasure; it was the loss of virtually all of the original Teen Titans and their history. Even now, most of that is gone. Likewise, we still haven't gotten the JSA back.

I strongly recommend rereading DCU Rebirth: Wally's commentary on the DCU pretty much sums up what was wrong with the New52, all while taking steps to fix said problems.
    I never said those were the only complaints, just the biggest.

Even before Flashpoint, the original Perez lineup was decades in the past, though. No more Gar and Vic shenanigans, no more Dick and Kory. I've been missing the original TNTT for ages now, and retconning it out makes little difference to me. Some, for sure. But getting rid of Wally absolutely provokes a response.

I have been wishing for him to give Vic, Gar, and Kory that electric touch, though.

I didn't mind the changes to Superman. Not even his romance with WW. I always figured he'd hook up with Lois in the end, and was curious to see how that would happen. Now we'll never know. We're stuck with Superdad, I guess.

Edit: But now that I've seen the preview for the new Titans show coming out, I do see how Cyborg's retcon is a problem. Vic doesn't appear in it, although the rest of the group, and several other heroes as well, do. I'm afraid none of that can make up for Cyborg being AWOL. Why can't he belong to both teams?

Come on, Wally! You've got the touch. Use it!
    Last edited by thetrellan; 07-19-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: update

Amazing Member
    the third rock in a solar system in the milky way

Start over!

If they start over, I would like there to be a nice mainstream continuity with side stories that don’t intersect. They could have it be like arrowverse but comics

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    IOW, if it's only a memory of something from a previous continuity, it doesn't really mean anything in regard to the current universe.
    I hope that’s the case.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    I hope that’s the case.
    It's not. The return of Wally was just the opening volley, DC's way of testing the waters, I suppose. The merging of Convergence Superman and his family into continuity was a genuine retcon. And it looks like Wally is headed ultimately for an actual retcon also. Impulse has returned, and probably Wally's wife and kids too pretty soon.

The good news is that most of the New52 changes will remain. Rebirth's purpose seems to be to please Superman and Titans fans who couldn't deal the change, and wouldn't shut up about it. I can understand that. The Wolfman/Perez team is worth all of the Justice League put together. I just wish Legion fans had been as vocal.

So Superman's history has reverted to what it was pre-Flashpoint, and maybe soon some of the Flash's. But the Titans and Teen Titans remain separate (so no Kory or Gar in the Titans, and probably no Raven either), and Cyborg is still out of that picture.

I couldn't help noticing that Rebirth as a series is only one issue so far, yet I'm told that yes, it actually is a series. It's been two years. Although many titles restarted at that time, the only thing that actually happened in Rebirth was the return of Wally West. This is more than DC just taking their time. New 52 was a sudden, comprehensive overhaul, and fans didn't take kindly to it. Rebirth is a tentative, let's take one thing at a time and see how it goes deal. They are trying to give fans what they want, but don't want to turn off all the new fans they've picked up since 2011.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 07-31-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazamdude View Post
    Start over!

If they start over, I would like there to be a nice mainstream continuity with side stories that don’t intersect. They could have it be like arrowverse but comics
    Okay, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Okay, I suppose.
    If DC does more Earth-1 stories at a faster pace this would be an option for people who want that.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

DC never completely reboots. Aside from the occasional renumbering and the planned cancellation and relaunch of Superman titles that followed CIE, neither Batman nor Superman ever ceased publication. Superman does seem to be the first item on the list of changes for every major retcon. But aside from stories designed to flesh out his somewhat fluid early past, I don't think Batman's own continuity has hardly been touched since the dawn of the superhero comics in the late 1930s. Or am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    DC never completely reboots. Aside from the occasional renumbering and the planned cancellation and relaunch of Superman titles that followed CIE, neither Batman nor Superman ever ceased publication. Superman does seem to be the first item on the list of changes for every major retcon. But aside from stories designed to flesh out his somewhat fluid early past, I don't think Batman's own continuity has hardly been touched since the dawn of the superhero comics in the late 1930s. Or am I mistaken?
    I would say since the 70's Batman has probably kept more than most characters in the reboots that started with the Crisis. They really have not changed much about his origin either, except for a while Joe Chill was not the killer (dumb choice in my opinion) of his parents. I never understood why Denny let that one fly.

Superman has had at least 3 origins since Crisis. I mean, they all have the basics of him coming to earth and Krypton being destroyed, just the circumstances around it have been altered.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Of all of Walmart’s 100 page Giants, the only one I even bothered to buy was Justice League Giant #1.

Printing the first (2011) issues of Justice League, Flash and Aquaman, there’s also a brand new Wonder Woman story to boot.
    Last edited by Rod G; 08-20-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Amazing Member

I like the new 52 as well.

I like the New 52 don't get me wrong but I do prefer Rebirth
    I AM GOOT

Quote Originally Posted by AdyC View Post
    I like the New 52 don't get me wrong but I do prefer Rebirth
    Well it's still the same universe so if you like the New 52 I don't see why you wouldn't like Rebirth.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Well it's still the same universe so if you like the New 52 I don't see why you wouldn't like Rebirth.
    I did say I like both but prefer Rebirth
    I AM GOOT