View Poll Results: If DC Kills the New 52 - Which Continuity Should Return?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis

56 15.43%
  • Post-Crisis

115 31.68%
  • Neither - Start over!

85 23.42%
  • Im fine with it the way it is

107 29.48%
Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47879394959697
Results 1,441 to 1,454 of 1454

Their Earth got rebooted as a dieselpunk setting; several key Wonders managed to survive the reboot and continue on in the rebooted Earth. The series ended shortly thereafter with the formation of a Justice Society on Earth 2.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Can someone provide a brief summary of what happened to the Earth-2 characters/universe introduced in the DCnU 52? What happened to characters like Val-Zod, Aquawoman (Marella), Hawkgirl, and Alan Scott?
    The series you want to remember is Convergence.

Spoiler: Then came Earth 2 Society, about how life continued on Earth 2's Earth 2. No, I'm not being redundant. Earth is gone, and humanity has settled on another planet. As for what happened to its heroes, some are still there, I think. Khalid has been seen on Prime Earth in Justice League Dark lately.

Elaborating on what I said: the final two issues of Earth 2: Society rebooted Earth 2's Earth two from the post-Apocalyptic nightmare it had become over the course of Earth 2: World's End, Convergence, and Earth 2: Society. In keeping with the “Earth 2” theme, the Wonders refer to this rebooted reality as their “second chance”; and when last we saw them, they were busy doing everything they could to protect it.

That said, most if not all of the Wonders are still on their new Earth 2: Superman (Val-Zod), Batman (Helena Wayne), Robin (John Grayson), Oracle (Dick Grayson), Hawkgirl, Flash, Green Lantern, Red Tornado (Lois Lane), Steel, and Kara are all seen in the final panels of the final issue sitting around a meeting table and strategizing about what threats are out there and how they're going to deal with them.

I haven't been following JLD, so I don't know much about the Dr.Fate that's been appearing there. Unless something's been revealed that I don't know about, I suppose it's possible that he's Earth 2's Dr. Fate. That said, DC has pretty much been ignoring Earth 2 ever since Earth 2 Society ended; so I'll be surprised to learn that he's from Earth 2.

Likewise: with the return of the primary Earth's Justice Society, I suspect that we're not going to be seeing Earth 2 any time soon. In particular, when and if Kara Zor-L returns, I suspect that she'll be the pre-Flashpoint Power Girl, not the Earth 2 version we saw in N52: as I said, that one's busy on Earth 2.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

E2S 16 (20).jpgThis is the last we saw of E2K. When the Pandora box was opened in Society. His name is Khalid Ben-Hassin. The one in JLD is Khalid Nassour. Apparently DC thought that, since Nassour wasn't being used in the New52, they would use him as a template for Earth 2's Fate. Wasn't confusing until the original Khalid from Prime Earth popped up in JLD to confound us all. Not as Fate, though. That was still (again?) Kent Nelson. And not blind this time (which would have made clear his identity, I suppose).

All right, all right, already. I will finally admit it. New 52, as entertaining as I found it, really was a bit of a mind-f... wasn't it? Researching this was an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Im still collecting new52 to books . Just got another dozen.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Except the New52 fans aren't whining about it nearly as much as you pre-n52 fans were. You don't see us filling up every thread on this and other DC-related boards with crying for what we lost.
    As for being treated better. DC literally put out a book calling our favorite continuity loveless, lacking in legacy, etc., etc. and used it to restore (however badly botched) your precious continuity.
    A lot of accuracy here. I remember being bullied on here for supporting the New 52. Gatekeepers are something else. It just made me love the new 52 even more, still do. It wasn’t the mistake that internet fanboys would lead you to believe.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    A lot of accuracy here. I remember being bullied on here for supporting the New 52. Gatekeepers are something else. It just made me love the new 52 even more, still do. It wasn’t the mistake that internet fanboys would lead you to believe.
    You have my support, Raijin.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Considering Rebirth hasn’t exactly caught on and all, I’m all for either restoring the Post-Flashpoint or reboot and start over.
    Last edited by Rod G; 04-26-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Considering Rebirth hasn’t exactly caught on and all, I’m all for either restoring the Post-Flashpoint or reboot and start over.
    What do you base this statement on???

A Remarkable Success
    "Rebirth" has proved to be one of the most remarkable successes in comic book history. By August 2016, overall comic book sales had risen to a 20-year peak; they've since dropped, but DC's sales remain healthy.

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VWd3S-nbadQ9C_

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    What do you base this statement on???

A Remarkable Success
    "Rebirth" has proved to be one of the most remarkable successes in comic book history. By August 2016, overall comic book sales had risen to a 20-year peak; they've since dropped, but DC's sales remain healthy.

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VWd3S-nbadQ9C_
    For three months.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    For three months.
    So it peaked and then leveled off to a normal dc sells levels? I wouldn't say thats a failure...

Major sustained readership growth of a brand takes more then some event or soft reboot...

Exactly how you get more people reading in general and more specifically reading dc superhero books is a mystery...

Why kids are leaning towards manga or Japanese oriented media i have no idea. When i was a kid pokemon hit it big... i couldnt be bothered by any of it, it was the little kid stuff... i was into dc...

Fact is trends with kids are how you increase readers over long term and for some reason kids don't think superheroes are cool.

They grow up really fast ... dc has to find a way to appeal to that crowd and bring them in.

other kinds of content, notably kid-oriented fare and Japanese (or Japanese-inspired) manga.

Forbes analyzes this sales matter further.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...heroes-behind/

Fact is the last big event or next big event wont change things. Its bit more complicated then that

... hope dc comes up with some answers

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

Why kids are leaning towards manga or Japanese oriented media i have no idea.
    Because manga has a beginning and an ending. It may go on for years but, except for some solid exceptions, it's the work of just one or two authors. You only need to get that particular series to understand who the characters are and the entire backstory. When that series is done, the authors just move on to a different series.

It's much easier to pick something like that up than DC or Marvel, with incredibly convoluted timelines that nobody really understands, ageless characters, constant retcons... Sure, they get the brand value of having Superman and Batman, but harder to keep people interested in their books.

Spectacular Member

DC needs to advertise their back catalogue and have a definitive list as the best story to read first for each character e.g. Green Lantern by Geoff Johns, Superman by Grant Morrison, Batman by Scott Snyder

Thanks to the New 52, I started to love DC Comics, and there were a lot of really great pieces of New 52. Especially Justice League, Batman, Animal Man, Resurrection Man, Captain Atom. Earth 2, Swamp Thing, and many more to come. So there is no need to go back to any past.

Especially Animal Man, Resurrection Man, and Captain Atom. Earth 2, should resume its on-going series immediately. And Doom Patrol, too!