Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 75.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Unremarkable

3 25.00%

Default Thoughts on the Mutant X universe?

What are your thoughts on this universe and the series? I thought it was an enjoyable ongoing. Thought I wish Elektra's past (why did she become a nanny?) and the reason behind Angel (Fallen) becoming evil were explored more. Besides those two, most if not all of the subplots were resolved at the end of the series. The ending feels a bit rushed, however, probably a case of dwindling sales necessitating the story to be cut short.

Characters from this universe rarely showed up outside of the Mutant X series. It is probably partially because most of them got killed by the Goblin Queen. The other reason is likely because the story did not prove to be very popular. Barely anyone talks about it nowadays and in its heyday, it still only lasted 32 issues and 3 annuals, so more like a moderate success.

Also, Mutant X Havok appeared in Exiles, but he was nonsensically turned evil. In the Mutant X series, he was indeed said to be a colder person than the 616 Havok, but it was not to the point where he was a psychopath. Mutant X Havok was the leader of a superhero team, nonetheless.

Could this have been a testing ground for the Ultimate Universe? Mutant X came out two years before Ultimate Spider-Man. It was an alternate interpretation of the regular continuity just like 1610. Albeit it was more of a wacky AU story than a modernization attempt like Ultimate, but still.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 02-28-2024 at 05:03 AM.

I loved Bloodstorm.

I just realized the poll options make no sense with the question I asked, but you get the gist.

Mutant X was a really fun series. They had a lot of interesting alternate takes on characters. Sadly, it seemed to fall apart at the end with the Beyonder and Goblin Force stuff.

I don't think we ever actually found out who their Captain America was either, did we?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Mutant X was a really fun series. They had a lot of interesting alternate takes on characters. Sadly, it seemed to fall apart at the end with the Beyonder and Goblin Force stuff.

I don't think we ever actually found out who their Captain America was either, did we?
    I wish the writer didn't kill off so many characters. They could have gotten spinoffs of their own. It had cool spins like FF without powers, heroic Doc Doom, six-armed Spider-Man supposedly leading a spider legion of his own called Uncanny Spider-Men (there was a made up comic book about that in a Mutant X annual issue) etc.

Captain America's identity was indeed never revealed. He looked like Steve Rogers when unmasked but of course Mutant X Cap is a seperate person as pointed out twice in the series.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 02-28-2024 at 07:20 AM.

I wen through some of Mutant X a few years back….thought it was a very interesting take on the 616 and the X-Men but I wouldn’t choose to revive the series if I had control of that type of thing.

It be interesting to see the team/characters in something like an Exiles book but that would be as far as my investment would go.

And that decision is made mostly on the current state of Alex/Havoc…that character is for sure not someone I am interested in following anymore. The X-Office has really sullied him over the years.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Loved this series. I always like Cyclops and then Havok, but after this, it was pretty damn close. It was nice to see Alex get the spotlight and grow into a leader, even if he didn't know what the heck was going on in that universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Loved this series. I always like Cyclops and then Havok, but after this, it was pretty damn close. It was nice to see Alex get the spotlight and grow into a leader, even if he didn't know what the heck was going on in that universe.
    For some reason as a kid this series terrified me. I remember being so invested in seeing Havok make it back. I don't think I ever finished it, might need to check it out on Marvel Unlimited.

Could make for a nice animated mini series or one-shot DTV.

... does Marvel own the non-X-Men live action show, still? I'd think it'd be wild to finally bring them into the comics.

Initially, I liked quite a lot Mutant X. Cyclops and Havok are two of my favorite X-Men, and I certainly was excited for a book mainly foccused around Havok. However, while the first year or so of the book was quite exciting, IMHO, Howard Mackie, the writer, soon lost control of the story, and started to contradict himself on things that he had already established along the series. He also introduced characters that seemed to have a lot of potential, just to soon discard them, or their stories simply went nowhere. And those mid-flight course recaulculating really started to bother me. It is still, IMHO, a great series, however, for me, it didn't end at such a high note as it started.

Peace

Astonishing Member

I liked it more over AOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Initially, I liked quite a lot Mutant X. Cyclops and Havok are two of my favorite X-Men, and I certainly was excited for a book mainly foccused around Havok. However, while the first year or so of the book was quite exciting, IMHO, Howard Mackie, the writer, soon lost control of the story, and started to contradict himself on things that he had already established along the series. He also introduced characters that seemed to have a lot of potential, just to soon discard them, or their stories simply went nowhere. And those mid-flight course recaulculating really started to bother me. It is still, IMHO, a great series, however, for me, it didn't end at such a high note as it started.

Peace
    There are some continuity issues, yes. For example, it was implied that Thor and Captain America died when Sentinels controlled by Goblin Queen attacked the Avengers Mansion. Both of those characters appear alive in later issues. In my opinion, the writer simply realized that killing them off-screen was simply a waste and decided to retcon that. It is not a huge deal for me.

One possibility is that the Captain America that was implied to have died in the Sentinel attack was Steve Rogers. However, I doubt this to be the case, since the mutant Captain America, who is not Steve Rogers, seemed to know the rest of the Avengers team members intimately, based on their interaction. It is unlikely that they would have had that much history if the mutant Cap was a recent replacement. So, the Captain America that was present during the Sentinel attacks was probably the mutant one.
    Last edited by Ubauba01; 03-02-2024 at 11:49 AM.

I thought it was a neat idea. But it kinda imploded at the end. :/

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I thought it was a neat idea. But it kinda imploded at the end. :/
    Yeah, I wonder if it just was a limited than was expanded because it got popular in its moment. I mean 32 it is a good run.
    But also could had been created only to get the name copyrighted or Marvel had some slot to fill.
    But still had its moments.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin