Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I guess this is where shadow King went to after New Mutants. Still weird that faurouk and SK are separate beings imo
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Even if he wanted it and they overlooked him...that's a bullet dodged.

Does anyone here really think Hickman bailed early and not completing his intended run because he was so satisfied and happy with what he had done up to that point?
    yeah, in interviews, Hickman said he was ready to move to the next stage, but the other writers weren’t, so he didn’t want to stand in the way of creativity… I read it as mostly true, but rather than his editor (or people higher up) tell the others it’s time to move on, he let Hickman go. They should have let him finish the job he was hired to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    yeah, in interviews, Hickman said he was ready to move to the next stage, but the other writers weren’t, so he didn’t want to stand in the way of creativity… I read it as mostly true, but rather than his editor (or people higher up) tell the others it’s time to move on, he let Hickman go. They should have let him finish the job he was hired to do.
    Readers were pretty happy with Krakoa. If it did end real early, they'd have been left forever wondering what could have been. I dunno if Hickman would continue to outdo himself and convince everyone that every stage of his plan would be better then the last.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Readers were pretty happy with Krakoa. If it did end real early, they'd have been left forever wondering what could have been. I dunno if Hickman would continue to outdo himself and convince everyone that every stage of his plan would be better then the last.
    Inferno came out end of september 2021. By then Duggan's X-men had started 2 months earlier and Ewing was still on SWORD. So whatever the plans would have been at least Ewing was in the fold.

A problem would have been that Hickmans circle of writers would probalby have been the same. So Howard on Excalibur and Duggan on Marauders would have continued and probably been an integral part of how Krakoa ended.

The way I see it there would have been some good with the bad, exactly the same way it was if he left like he did. The big difference is that we can dream and project whatever we want on how it could have been.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I guess this is where shadow King went to after New Mutants. Still weird that faurouk and SK are separate beings imo
    When was that established before New Mutants because I remember X-Force and Astonishing X-Men treating them as one.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    When was that established before New Mutants because I remember X-Force and Astonishing X-Men treating them as one.
    Claremont alluded to Shadow King being verrrrry old in his OG run, and doubled down in his later X-Treme works. Like, dawn of humanity old. So while Farouk was his main host, we did see SK inhabit that other guy, the FBI agent Jacob Reisz, for example, so it was clear that he could body hop. Farouk may have been his main host for a long time(from the Nazi era 30's if I recall one of those Kitty side stories), but that wasn't the start of Shadow King, merely the house in which it resided for many moons.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Oh Jacob right I forgot lol.
    X-Men Forever

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Yes. I was very happy with Krakoa. Until Hickman left and it went to shite from 0-60 in no time at all. I would have preferred to see where Hickman intended to end it (even if I might have felt it was too soon) rather than the blazing dumpster fire we're getting now (which cannot end quickly enough).
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yes. I was very happy with Krakoa. Until Hickman left and it went to shite from 0-60 in no time at all. I would have preferred to see where Hickman intended to end it (even if I might have felt it was too soon) rather than the blazing dumpster fire we're getting now (which cannot end quickly enough).
    Hickman's departure made room for Immortal X-Men. For Destiny, Xavier and Mystique I think that title did a lot to follow up on what Hickman had laid out. Exodus probably got the best modern take on that character. Hope was able to actually be the mutant messiah again, it had been a while. Hickman had already opted to use Gillen's take on Sinisters character, the big change in Hickman's leaving there is just how important to end of Krakoa Mr Sinister would be. The Moira situation was certainly mishandled by Gillen just like everyone else, but still Krakoa ending before they put out a run were we actually get to see the Quiet Council in all it's ineffectiveness would've been a shame.

Personally, to me, Gillen's work has been inconsequential, or rather, completely unenjoyable, whereas Lord Ewing has been a revelation(even if I did find the last 6 issues of Red a bit underbaked compared to everything else he wrote, they were still great). There wasn't a single issue of Immortal X-Men that I was all that impressed with other than maybe Kurt's issue during Judgement Day or whatever. That's about all I can give to Gillen. The navel-gazing and Sinister-ad nauseam just doesn't do it for me.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Personally, to me, Gillen's work has been inconsequential, or rather, completely unenjoyable, whereas Lord Ewing has been a revelation(even if I did find the last 6 issues of Red a bit underbaked compared to everything else he wrote, they were still great). There wasn't a single issue of Immortal X-Men that I was all that impressed with other than maybe Kurt's issue during Judgement Day or whatever. That's about all I can give to Gillen. The navel-gazing and Sinister-ad nauseam just doesn't do it for me.
    1000% Exactatiously.

The fact that Hickman's leaving allowed Immortal SinisterS to exist is a monumental travesty. If you like your heroes perpetually at a disadvantage against their foes, where as was pointed out the "villains" at the table got the most focus I suppose it works...but it did absolutely nothing for me.

It might be utter excrement but I'm glad I won't have to see Gillenister's name attached to an X-title come July.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

There's a fundamental difference between Hickman's and Gillens writing.

Gillen is a solid writer, the problem with his writing both times he took the helm is his perception of the protagonists. Gillen viewed the QC as unworkable while Hickman did not. Gillens writing is for the most part an implosion and the most toxic traits of characters. An effective deconstruction while Hickman's was the exact opposite in world building etc. Although I think Gillens has more character beats while Hickman's seemed detached.

Even compare Gillens AvX to Hickmans. Gillen wrote an Implosion of the Extinction Team while Hickman's AvX issue was largely constructive for mutantkind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    This issue was wonderful as always Ewing does a great job at capturing the essence of a character.

And Magneto was right he did say to watch Charles. But Storm is right too Magneto and Charles are so much alike. Always trying to make themselves the martyr when things don't go the way they planned. And yes, they both really Use people a lot.

Loved the little Scuffle they had. Storm making an Ariel Force Field to block Magneto's shrapnel attack. Which makes me happy because the last time he did that Storm stood there like a dummy. But thanks to Ewing we see a competent Storm yet again.

UGH i'm going to miss him. ;-(
    Co-signed. This book was amazing from start to finish. VecchioÂ’s art & the colors continue to slay and Ewing continues the masterpiece that is cooking a feast for the eyes. MagnetoÂ’s self chosen penance was deep! Crawling on a river of lava, eyes crying blood & seeing the moment people were killed by him or died for him should carry an exceptional emotional/spiritual weight that Ewing made me feel as a reader.

And Storm continues to shine under Ewing. Her personality continues to show strength, self-assurance, and I like that she helps Magneto see all the good that has done. I also like the creative use of her air manipulation (hope to see it happening more often) and I really enjoy the complex relationship these two have. It would be a really missed opportunity if there arenÂ’t plans to continue this relationship/partnership dynamic, especially w/ a defeated Xavier in the mix, and a Magneto seeking redemption in a bew/diferent way. I can see Storm helping him find that and I would love to see that in an x-ongoing or team book lead by them.

10/10. Cannot wait for the next issue but HATING that his time in the X-Office is ending Â…

Really nice character piece issue. Giant step up from last month’s Storm-centered issue. Wouldn’t it be be fun if Al Ewing, who has written extensively under Tom B’s umbrella, stays to write multiple X-Books?
    Last edited by ARkadelphia; 03-04-2024 at 12:57 PM.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Really nice character piece issue. Giant step up from last month’s Storm-centered issue. Wouldn’t I th be fun if Al Ewing, who has written extensively under Tom B’s umbrella, stays to white multiple X-Books?
    While it would be nice, what would make best use of his skills?