Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am usually not a fan of this kind of retroactive reinterpretation of other's stories (for multiple reasons), nor a fan of overly introspective narration by the main character (I prefer the events to inform the reader), but Ewing wrote an enjoyable issue here that is helping to finish off this era with some good stories. There is a touch of authenticity in the character's voices that I have missed.
    Yes! Ewing makes the characters seem real. Best they have been since the 80s. Rather read him doing great character driven stuff as opposed to theoretical world building or widescreen event stuff.

Fantastic Member

Anyhow, just read the issue and I really need to give it another read or two, but that was exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I actually get editorial dragging Krakoa out. X-Men was in a rut - its worst state for YEARS prior. But then you continue to develop it. I don't find back peddling on such a scale interesting and I worry this will actually be the last great era of X-Men.
    TBF a few years ago circa X-Men Gold it felt like it was over and there’d never be another great age of X-Men. Too much nostalgia, entropy and the profound weight of decades of canon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Yes! Ewing makes the characters seem real. Best they have been since the 80s. Rather read him doing great character driven stuff as opposed to theoretical world building or widescreen event stuff.
    I like a fusion of the two. Make the world building character driven. Ewing did that for arakko more than most of the other writers did for krakoa. Just look at what he did in ROM, he is doing an excellent job of actually fleshing out the world outside the marvel universe.

Who is the female character on the C cover variant?

Ugh, the part where Magneto sees all the people he had saved gave me goosebumps. Damn Ewing please don’t leave.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Another great issue! Ewing is really knocking it out of the park in this final inning. I really wish he would stay with the X-Books, but I know that's not in the cards. I really liked the focus on Magneto's guilt, both for the things he's done, and for the things he hasn't done. I also get the feeling that aside from possibly one last Phoenix-powered one at the end of the era, this is very much closing the door on mutant resurrection.

I'd like to also say that as someone who had doubts about Vecchio being on this, I'm very happy to have been wrong. His work here is fantastic.

This was just so good.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Lord Ewing does it again. Really another great course. We only have two more courses to go!

I miss him already, and he hasn't even left yet. How will we live when he's gone? How?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This was just so good.
    Completely agree. Ewing knows how to bring the drama. I love the focus Magneto got here. It really felt like a cleansing fire for him and a great form of redemption that makes his coming back all the more palatable. And I really dig his chemistry with Storm. Its clear he has a strong respect for her and she has strong faith in him. I It feels like a sin for them not to continue a journey to build a strong bond between them. They have a compelling interaction in these roles that I can totally see carrying a series.

Great issue! It was a bit cliched in that "character racked with guilt" kind of trope, but it was a good chance for Ewing to flex with his understanding of the Magneto character and his fealty to continuity. I like when a writer can weave old history into a modern story with such ease. Mike Carey was a master at this!

The only thing I wasn't too psyched about was the reveal of the Shadow King. He kind of bores me, but in Ewing we trust!

The man was turning it out hard for this issue, but I must say: All the flowers to Luciano for that breathtaking Gala summary splash page. It is no small feat to structure that amount of content into such a beautiful and unexpectedly symmetrical single page. The kinetic energy throughout this issue was electric! I could hear the pained screams and the whirling wind and feel the smooth plaques and the grooves of the names etched into them. When Storm "opened" Magneto's eyes -- in that moment I heard a choir and instruments in my mind, playing like a movie.

The emotional density of this arc is jaw dropping. A stunning beacon and undeniable cornerstone to this Krakoan era. Ewing's most remarkable super power, in my humble opinion, is his ability to find the needle in the haystack. He plucks the needle (continuity) and then brilliantly weaves it into these exquisite tapestries, as if he's presenting evidence to support a case. Ewing is an artist, a detective, and an empath.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    The man was turning it out hard for this issue, but I must say: All the flowers to Luciano for that breathtaking Gala summary splash page. It is no small feat to structure that amount of content into such a beautiful and unexpectedly symmetrical single page. The kinetic energy throughout this issue was electric! I could hear the pained screams and the whirling wind and feel the smooth plaques and the grooves of the names etched into them. When Storm "opened" Magneto's eyes -- in that moment I heard a choir and instruments in my mind, playing like a movie.

The emotional density of this arc is jaw dropping. A stunning beacon and undeniable cornerstone to this Krakoan era. Ewing's most remarkable super power, in my humble opinion, is his ability to find the needle in the haystack. He plucks the needle (continuity) and then brilliantly weaves it into these exquisite tapestries, as if he's presenting evidence to support a case. Ewing is an artist, a detective, and an empath.
    Beautiful post, my friend.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Great issue! It was a bit cliched in that "character racked with guilt" kind of trope, but it was a good chance for Ewing to flex with his understanding of the Magneto character and his fealty to continuity. I like when a writer can weave old history into a modern story with such ease. Mike Carey was a master at this!

The only thing I wasn't too psyched about was the reveal of the Shadow King. He kind of bores me, but in Ewing we trust!
    Not thrilled with Shadow King as an antagonist either. But at least he has major ties with Storm, and an untold history with Magneto as well so I trust Ewing will spin it into gold.

Is the SK Farouk or the shadow version ? Because Farouk had a kind of closure in New Mutants and I would be sad to see it ignored.