Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Crow (2024)

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    God what a tragedy that was. Brandon Lee was great, and he did completely make that movie. I may also recommend that one he did with Dolph Lungren.
    A lot of that is the fact that the folks behind the films seemed fine with him playing roughly "Fifty Percent Eric..."/"Fifty Percent Brandon Lee..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The look doesn't bother me. What bothers me or is that it looks like they''re making their deaths part of some bigger plan beacuse the girl 'saw something she shouldn't have'. The randomness of their deaths is an essential part of the story's heart, IMO.
    While I tend to agree with that when it came to what was on the page?

The first film did build in that the two of them were killed because they were organizing tenants.

It didn't take that much away from what it got right as an adaptation.

The look doesn't bother me. What bothers me or is that it looks like they''re making their deaths part of some bigger plan beacuse the girl 'saw something she shouldn't have'. The randomness of their deaths is an essential part of the story's heart, IMO.
    TBF, the first movie took out the randomness as well. They were targeted by Top Dollar blah blah blah.

In the original comic, it was totally random. Their car broke down, and the gang that killed them just happened to be passing by. I do agree, by removing the random nature of the killing, it took away part of what made the story so provocative.

But then Brandon Lee version also changed a great deal of things. Eric was a rocker musician, not a (maybe) mechanic. The Crow is an actual bird others see, and has this magical connection to, instead of some invisible figure that follows him and talks to him. No skeleton cowboy (which was filmed but cut from the movie).

In fact, I think Eric is never in any actual danger in the original comic. He straight up kills a ton of gang members then just returns to heaven in the end.
    Life is but a dream

i think people need to stop thinking of the movie as a "remake" of the original film and see it as it's own adaptation of the comic. to adapt the comic to film you have to add more to the story just as the first movie did, it doesn't have to and probably shouldn't be, the same story the 90's adaptation came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    TBF, the first movie took out the randomness as well. They were targeted by Top Dollar blah blah blah.
    You know, I don't remember that at all? Been so long since I saw it.

It's not really a big plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    i think people need to stop thinking of the movie as a "remake" of the original film and see it as it's own adaptation of the comic. to adapt the comic to film you have to add more to the story just as the first movie did, it doesn't have to and probably shouldn't be, the same story the 90's adaptation came up with.
    I that brags up the question why have him be named Eric Draven? Why not just have him be some one new...?

^^^I get that, I agree.

That said, even on its own merits, it still looks like a warmed over butt sandwich. It’s just not looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It's not really a big plot point.
    Yep.

I think it comes up three or four pretty short instances over the course of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^I get that, I agree.

That said, even on its own merits, it still looks like a warmed over butt sandwich. It’s just not looking good.
    That's actually the problem.

I don't know that we did get much of a look.

Could be that we have a pretty could idea of what it will be. Could be that a lot of the actual film is in what we did not see during that trailer.

Hard to tell.

All that said, there is one real potential shortfall that I do see.

You take the first film?

Just about anyone could tell you who the men involved in killing Shelly and Eric are, and say "Yep, That's The Guy..." as Eric kills each one of them.

In this trailer?

I'm not even sure if he actually faces off with any one of them during the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I that brags up the question why have him be named Eric Draven? Why not just have him be some one new...?
    because that's the name of the character in the comic that's being adapted not a character they made up for the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^I get that, I agree.

matter of taste i guess, i thought it looked pretty cool.

because that's the name of the character in the comic that's being adapted not a character they made up for the first movie.

matter of taste i guess, i thought it looked pretty cool.
    But it doesn't look like it's adapted from the comic at all it it looks like everything else is original.

Extraordinary Member

Has any Crow remake ever been good? This doesn't look particularly worse than the priors. The pink outfits are confusing tho. Are they down with dipset? Computers, computin....

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Has any Crow remake ever been good? This doesn't look particularly worse than the priors. The pink outfits are confusing tho. Are they down with dipset? Computers, computin....
    LOL, I wasn’t ready for this, I just screamed.

They should rename it The Crow Capo Status.