Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think it'd be funny if you could basically read it as being set in the ANAD Marvel era and concurrent with Weisman's Starbrand and Nightmask series.

Other than Kamala being in her X-Men costume in a future solicit (and that's assuming they even mention her Mutant status) there might be anything to contradict that.

This looks fun. Haven't had a "fun" 616 comic in awhile.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    This looks fun. Haven't had a "fun" 616 comic in awhile.
    "Fun" is the name of the game in Spiderboy!

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    "Fun" is the name of the game in Spiderboy!
    Is Greg even writing that character and is he involved in this book? This post makes not too much sense. Not to be rude. Just for the book because we do have Kamala showing up at least

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Is Greg even writing that character and is he involved in this book? This post makes not too much sense. Not to be rude. Just for the book because we do have Kamala showing up at least
    Spiderboy is a 616 comic that is fun...if one hasn't seen a fun comic in awhile, it's worth checking out!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I was definitely going to buy this. After looking at the preview, it moves to the first thing I'll read this weekend!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

This book comes out tomorrow on my birthday. Get in!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I hope it's a great birthday present for you, then.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Happy bday hope u enjoyed the issue

Nothing involving Bailey has been announced so far. He did just show up in ASM and is in the next issue of Spider-Woman, so he is being written by people other than Slott, but not Weisman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Crossposting what I said in the Miles thread, i quite liked this debut issue. There was this wonky bit of constantly jumping scenes during the fight between the Spiders and Miles Warren to totally unrelated scenes. It's one of those gags that I think would hit well in an actual tv show but here it felt a bit disjointed.

But overall I liked it. Thought Weissman hit the right balance with Peter too of being goofy without feeling like a mess.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Did Miles really not know until now that Jackal is also called Miles?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Did Miles really not know until now that Jackal is also called Miles?
    He's not going to know most villains real names

Fantastic Member

He's not going to know most villains real names
    I wonder if Frontier has thoughts on Peter getting saved by Miles in the fight.

I liked the issue more than i thought i would, and i think Weisman used Miles as a great way to get some of the ASM stink out of Peter's personality. Ramos' art is not my cup of tea, but it worked for me here, i think the colorist did a great job. Anyway, like many have noted, just fun times all around, will be supporting this

Edit: I quoted and forgot to comment on it lol, didn't Miles use Pete's real name in the middle of the fight shortly after webbing him up? I might be mistaken

I thought Spectacular Spider-Men #1 was okay, but not outstanding. Definitely better than what we're currently getting over in Amazing Spider-Man. I also think that the comic feels like a vehicle for Greg Weisman to jockey for the position of replacing Zeb Wells as the head writer. I did like the banter between Peter and Miles, with the idea of Miles, despite being younger, acting more like "the sensible one" while Peter definitely sounds like the same character from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon right down to using the word "quippage." Also neat that we got to see spoilers:
    Sha Shan and the other Professor Warren after how many years? And the addition of the 616 Kenny "Kong" Harlan.
    end of spoilers

That being said, when Ramos isn't doing the fight scene between Peter, Miles and "Hulk-Jackal," his worst stylistic traits come full force, especially how everyone seems to have stretchy powers like Mr. Fantastic. And Greg Weisman's choice to have constant flashbacks and interludes to break up the fight completely threw off the pacing and rhythm of the story, which also made it unnecessarily confusing. It took me a hot minute to realize spoilers:
    those seemingly pointless, random "meanwhile" scenes were essentially dream sequences (I think?) from those who answered that ad for volunteers and is an obvious set-up for whoever the big villain of the arc is going to be. Very likely Mysterio since this has his hallmarks all over it.
    end of spoilers Anyway, B- out of me.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton