Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Definitely one of my favorite runs.

Origins are tinkered with plenty when it comes to superheroes and 'The Circle' is one that I feel should be a norm when retelling WWs Dianas. It's what SM:TAS was able to do with Brainiac by including him in the destruction of Krypton. Should we ever get another movie, animated series....or even god forbid 'Paradise Lost', seeing it adapted would be great.

The Olympian storyline is also a favorite of mine, flying Elephants?! I'm there. Achilles is another great adaption to the WW-fam, esp given that he's gay. Wish we got more of him....I can only imagine him/Siggy teaming up and doing their thing together.

And of course the the "WW comes to Hollywood" was so spot on and hilarious.

It's a strong run that manages to use a lot of WWs central characters and family while also introducing new characters/villains. We got Paradise Island, Mans World, and Space adventures which seems rare nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Definitely one of my favorite runs.

Origins are tinkered with plenty when it comes to superheroes and 'The Circle' is one that I feel should be a norm when retelling WWs Dianas. It's what SM:TAS was able to do with Brainiac by including him in the destruction of Krypton. Should we ever get another movie, animated series....or even god forbid 'Paradise Lost', seeing it adapted would be great.

The Olympian storyline is also a favorite of mine, flying Elephants?! I'm there. Achilles is another great adaption to the WW-fam, esp given that he's gay. Wish we got more of him....I can only imagine him/Siggy teaming up and doing their thing together.

And of course the the "WW comes to Hollywood" was so spot on and hilarious.

It's a strong run that manages to use a lot of WWs central characters and family while also introducing new characters/villains. We got Paradise Island, Mans World, and Space adventures which seems rare nowadays.
    OMG...Is this Aaron Lopresti? I'd forgotten just how good he was/is.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Come to think of it that elephant really just came outta nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    OMG...Is this Aaron Lopresti? I'd forgotten just how good he was/is.
    I don't think that's Lopresti which would lead me to believe it's Bernard Chang who was the alternate artist during that period.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I don't think that's Lopresti which would lead me to believe it's Bernard Chang who was the alternate artist during that period.
    We’re both mistaken. It’s from Vol. 3 #41, which credits Chris Batista and Fernando Dagnino as pencillers.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

I’ve read the first two arcs and really enjoyed them. I read the Rucka run in high school and was riveted at the time. I’m wondering, how does Gail’s run feel as an ending to the post crisis WW era? (I know there’s JMS after this) Or perhaps there’s some other story, a DC retroactive book or a sensation comic that could function as a fitting finale to what George started.

Peace and love to you Gail.

Incredible Member

I’m wondering, how does Gail’s run feel as an ending to the post crisis WW era?
    Not to answer for Gail, but I think it wasn't intended to be a Perez wrap-up run at all. DC just decided to move ahead with the Nu52 reboot shortly afterwards, so this was where things were left. I suspect if they had planned in advance for Gail to write a wrap-up arc for the continuity George started in the 80s, we'd have gotten something different.

It's a real shame there wasn't thought put into maybe bringing Perez back and letting him write a few more stories with Gail or Phil or Greg to bring it all to a close. Of course, Perez tried to contribute to Superman for the Nu52 and ended up having to walk away because things were so chaotic, so...yeah. DC at the time wasn't really caring too much about the fact they were closing a chapter.

From what I remember of the final issues, the way it reads you don't get the sense of finality at all. Scott's artwork is very nice and there is a final panel in Gail's last issue that is slightly more of a farewell/final bow, but only barely. If anything, you get the sense that Gail had introduced some interesting things with plans for them that wouldn't be realized.

It's a shame.

This being the last image we get from the Pre-52 WW is damn near perfect

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post
    I’ve read the first two arcs and really enjoyed them. I read the Rucka run in high school and was riveted at the time. I’m wondering, how does Gail’s run feel as an ending to the post crisis WW era? (I know there’s JMS after this) Or perhaps there’s some other story, a DC retroactive book or a sensation comic that could function as a fitting finale to what George started.

Peace and love to you Gail.
    The short story she with Perez (I believe the last time he did any interior work for a WW story) that ends Vanessa's story is probably as a good an epilogue for Post-Crisis WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    This being the last image we get from the Pre-52 WW is damn near perfect
    Oh yeah, after this it was Odyssey, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh yeah, after this it was Odyssey, huh?
    Unfortunately

Incredible Member

Hey! There's the page!

It's sad to think the Pre-Crisis Diana got what...two or three final issues to wrap things up, right? And wasn't the final issue a double sized one?
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 04-10-2024 at 09:09 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Not to answer for Gail, but I think it wasn't intended to be a Perez wrap-up run at all. DC just decided to move ahead with the Nu52 reboot shortly afterwards,
    Gail's run ended because they did that whole alternate reality "Odyssey" story for about a year before they new52 launched. So yeah, in a way, she was the last writer of the "Post-Crisis" WW.

Incredible Member

Yes, quite right. I wish they'd skipped that randomness and just told Gail "we're moving in a new direction - there's one year left. Plot accordingly."

But who knows. Maybe they thought the JMS stuff would be so embraced it would become the new status quo or something. Or maybe they knew what Brian A had in store and needed a yearlong filler adventure.

I think Gail Simone was the author that pushed Giganta back into WW spotlight, right? Got to give her credit for that
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut