Default Quicksilver vs The Shrike

Quicksilver from the Fox X-verse gets dropped into the Hyperion Cantos world, and the Shrike immediately takes an interest in him.

How does he fare?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    Quicksilver from the Fox X-verse gets dropped into the Hyperion Cantos world, and the Shrike immediately takes an interest in him.

How does he fare?
    I stopped reading the Cantos novels like around halfway a while ago, and feel I should resume them, but from what I recall this sounds like a stomp against Quicksilver. I remember a single Shrike not bothering to do anything is at bare absolute minimum bulletproof, and that might be the tip of the iceberg before getting into swarming an army of advanced killers dead.

Unless quicksilver is a hell of a lot faster than I remember this is a crazy stomp for the Shrike I think?

If the Shrike had nothing but it's ability to time travel that would be a problem for him because he could be surprised when asleep or similar states. But the Shrike is also a being that blitz people who themselves are fast enough to move and react at lightspeed and blitz people.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Unless quicksilver is a hell of a lot faster than I remember this is a crazy stomp for the Shrike I think?

If the Shrike had nothing but it's ability to time travel that would be a problem for him because he could be surprised when asleep or similar states. But the Shrike is also a being that blitz people who themselves are fast enough to move and react at lightspeed and blitz people.
    I've not read the books, but 'blitzes lightspeed people' is something I've seen shown for the Shrike before, and X-men's Quicksilver is nowhere near lightspeed.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

It's stomp. If you read the books, it's clear that Quicksilver is a statue to the Shrike.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I've read all the books - the fastest version of Quicky isn't even moving compared to the Shrike.

Shrike's raw speed is somewhere in the realm of "fastest things in fiction" - Runner, Wally West, pre-crisis Barry Allen, blah blah.

An example: there are some cyborg being created with the ability to literally shift themselves out of Tim, where everything they do is in a fully stopped world. Shrike appears in front of one of them so quickly that it, mid phase shift and running, suddenly sees the shrike in front of them (commented mentally as "impossible") then gets hit and KO'd instantly before they, again, sliding between moments, can process a reaction.

Shrike also has a "maybe a couple of seconds, maybe a minute, I dunno" moment where it carves a microscopic multi kilometer parasite put of thousands of armored soldiers and thousands of spaceship personal simultaneously.

Shrike is at least as fast as anyone in fiction.

Plus, of course, it travels through time as it wants, when it wants, how it wants, and can just come back from literally whatever if it feels like it.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    an example: There are some cyborg being created with the ability to literally shift themselves out of Tim
    o_o

Tim.jpg
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Better out of Tim than in.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Better out of Tim than in.
    Yeah, I spotted the mistake but left it. Worth it for the comments. :-)
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

What Big said.

Quicksilver moving at a full sprint would appear as a completely motionless statue from the Shrike's perspective.

Even if the Shrike willingly chose to sit and do absolutely nothing, he would be invulnerable to any attack QS could land as well.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure