View Poll Results: What movie did you like more?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Marvels

32 86.49%
  • Madame Web

5 13.51%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its weird that Madame Web was the better looking movie, though granted it did not have very much CGI. But the CGI was kind of horrible in the Marvels. With very few exceptions it reminded me of the CGI in several much cheaper made B grade movies. Where did all that $275 million go? Marvels almost felt like it was just tossed together with no or very little planning. At least you could discern a fairly coherent plot and a more clearly interesting and less unnecessarily toothy villain in Madame Web.
    I thought the Marvels looked fine granted I watched it on tv and not a big screen.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I thought the Marvels looked fine granted I watched it on tv and not a big screen.
    It looks great on both the big screen and on TV.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I watched Madame Web for the first time yesterday on digital, and it is a slap in the face to Nia DaCosta to speak of The Marvels in the same breath as that mess.

The Marvels wasn't perfect, but it's way more entertaining and fun than Madame Web ever could hope to be.

BANNED

I'm going to be honest, people saying the Marvels is worse than Madame Web only seem to be saying it for the sake of insulting the movie because, I've not seen anyone trying to say Madame Web actually name anything it does better beyond a bland general statement like "the plot is better" it kind of calls into question if they've actually seen either movie or not.

Astonishing Member

Madame Web is a bad movie, not the worst I've seen but a bad movie overall. The Marvels is much better overall.

However it seemed hardly anyone watched The Marvels when it came out streaming. The numbers for it are bad, which kind of surprised me. Since hardly anyone saw it in theatres I thought maybe a large number would watch it stream. Nope, the lowest streaming MCU movie. It really proves nowhere near enough people cared for these characters. Again The Marvels isn't bad, just didn't have any kind of BO appeal.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Both were really bad, but at least I had fun laughing at Madame Web.

The Marvels was just a frustrating watch, as I could see the cuts and edits that gutted the film of any value/emotional stakes, that Disney had no confidence in it, and that it was more a plate-spinning exercise before Marvel decides where its actually going. It's irritating that Disney will use this as an excuse to make even less Marvel content starring women, something the MCU is already dire for.

Madame Web is just a complete disaster from start to finish. For me, it's done the full 360 to being genuinely entertaining in its badness. There was no saving it. No redeemable qualities. You can only laugh at it or walk out*. That movie has awful cult classic written all over it, at least within the comic fan sphere.

*My cinema buddy was so angry on the way home, as he knew I wouldn't leave (it's Spidey-related) and getting was pissed at me for finding it fun. That just makes it a little funnier. Lol.
    Last edited by exile001; 03-18-2024 at 06:29 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

The Marvels was just a frustrating watch, as I could see the cuts and edits that gutted the film of any value/emotional stakes, that Disney had no confidence in it, and that it was more a plate-spinning exercise before Marvel decides where its actually going. It's irritating that Disney will use this as an excuse to make even less Marvel content starring women, something the MCU is already dire for.

Madame Web is just a complete disaster from start to finish. For me, it's done the full 360 to being genuinely entertaining in its badness. There was no saving it. No redeemable qualities. You can only laugh at it or walk out*. That movie has awful cult classic written all over it, at least within the comic fan sphere.

*My cinema buddy was so angry on the way home, as he knew I wouldn't leave (it's Spidey-related) and getting was pissed at me for finding it fun. That just makes it a little funnier. Lol.
    This is coming from someone who is thoroughly entertained by Batman & Robin, but I don't even see the 'Madame Web was so bad it's good' factor either. It was more frustrating than The Marvels. I mean the baby shower scene, that cringe ass Easter egg joke about Uncle Ben getting shot in Queens, and I still don't understand what the main villain dude's goal was and why he wanted to kill the girls.

Disney may have made some mandated edits but The Marvels still had structure, you knew character's motivations etc.

Extraordinary Member

Have not seen Madame Web and have no intention of doing so.

But I did really enjoy The Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    You know where it fell apart for me? The Flerkan scene. Setting aside the WTF factor and the silliness, which as too much even for a clown on acid, the effects looked very video gamey to me, right down to the ragdoll effects on the people getting sucked up and later spat out again.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

See this is precisely what I mean.
    Every comment trying to the Marvels is worse than Madame Web has gone out of its way to keep from speaking about the things that actually matter, like how the story handled, how the characters are portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    This is coming from someone who is thoroughly entertained by Batman & Robin, but I don't even see the 'Madame Web was so bad it's good' factor either. It was more frustrating than The Marvels. I mean the baby shower scene, that cringe ass Easter egg joke about Uncle Ben getting shot in Queens, and I still don't understand what the main villain dude's goal was and why he wanted to kill the girls.

Disney may have made some mandated edits but The Marvels still had structure, you knew character's motivations etc.
    Ezekiel Sims goal was to kill the girls who were going to kill him it's about as basic and simple as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Ezekiel Sims goal was to kill the girls who were going to kill him it's about as basic and simple as you can get.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Didn't watch either film (came here for the opinions) but is Madame Web really worse than something like this? My first reaction was, "This a parody or the actual movie?" but a part of me doesn't want to know the answer. Still trying to grasp how this was a 300 million dollar flick?

Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-18-2024 at 02:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Didn't watch either film (came here for the opinions) but is Madame Web really worse than something like this? My first reaction was, "This a parody or the actual movie?" but a part of me doesn't want to know the answer. Still trying to grasp how this was a 300 million dollar flick?

(lol, not sure how much of a slap in the face this can be to Nia DaCosta)
    This might come as a shock to you but movies tend to have far more than one scene and one line.
    There's not even anything wrong with that scene so I don't even know what your point here is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

No Madame Web is not worse than that.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.