View Poll Results: What movie did you like more?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Marvels

32 86.49%
  • Madame Web

5 13.51%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    Ok just to run down the list because so much of this is wrong.

The Skrulls don't have a homeworld, that was a refugee colony, its even stated in the movie that so many Skrulls are scattered and they still lack a home.

In the first Captain Marvel it was shown Flerkens can spit up the things they swallowed.

Dar-Benn wasn't a challenge for Captain Marvel it's why she needed the bangle, it drained Carol's energy, along with how switching with Kamala and Monica messes up how she fights.

The movie never once says Kamala needed the bangles for her powers, she's even shown using her powers without them on.

Dar-Benn isn't "bugging the Marvels", she never directly goes after them, they go after her because they know her plan is to go after planets Carol saved and cared for.

One it's not known how long the Marvels is after Secret Invasion, two people aren't static they don't remain in one emotional state all the time heck he was looking back to normal at the end of Secret Invasion itself anyway.

Monica's powers are shown and explained in the movie, she can become intangible by turning herself into light, fly and fire lasers from her hands.

You can't just keep repeating "the movie was dull" every time it's pointed out how what you're saying about it is either not true or doesn't make sense.
    Madame Web was still better.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-23-2024 at 06:42 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Not when your making a joke about Uncle Ben getting shot.

The Marvels was Shakespeare compared to this mess.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Black girl magic is totally a hashtag. I just don't like witty asides and important "motivational" dialogue reduced to buzzwords/catchphrases, it undermines the potential emotional development of the characters and scenes. And I only say this because Marvel does this all the time in every movie, not trying to hyperfocus on the Marvels
    I mean, if they stopped the action and had Sam Jackson make the hashtag with his fingers before saying it and then used a tik tok or instagram filter on Monica as she blasted off you might have a point but barring that it just doesn't feel anywhere near as egregious enough to merit even noting.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I mean, if they stopped the action and had Sam Jackson make the hashtag with his fingers before saying it and then used a tik tok or instagram filter on Monica as she blasted off you might have a point but barring that it just doesn't feel anywhere near as egregious enough to merit even noting.
    Come on, that's taking my descriptors a little too literally. I feel like you definitely knew what I meant. And besides I clarified so many times after that post as well
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Madame Web was still better.
    See this is exactly what I mean, you keep trying to say Madame Web is better, but then everything you say about the Marvels that supposedly makes it worse is either factually wrong or simply doesn't make sense.

Come on, that's taking my descriptors a little too literally. I feel like you definitely knew what I meant. And besides I clarified so many times after that post as well
    I'm just saying that if what I described had happened I might have seen your point as understandable but as it was actually presented in the film itself your complaint seems more than a little overblown to me. It's a quick, slightly humorous, pick me up scene to reinforce a character when they doubt themselves that happens to some extent in just about every action movie and is totally innocuous.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'm just saying that if what I described had happened I might have seen your point as understandable but as it was actually presented in the film itself your complaint seems more than a little overblown to me. It's a quick, slightly humorous, pick me up scene to reinforce a character when they doubt themselves that happens to some extent in just about every action movie and is totally innocuous.
    I can still describe it in the way that feels best to me in explaining why I dislike that stuff. What you described would never happen in a movie because that's a literal interpretation of what I came up with in describing the type of soundbyte humor in Marvel movies.
    They/Them

See this is exactly what I mean, you keep trying to say Madame Web is better, but then everything you say about the Marvels that supposedly makes it worse is either factually wrong or simply doesn't make sense.
    This thread is asking which movie we liked more. So yes it does make sense when you look at it that way. My preference is for Madame Web. I liked it more than Marvels. But I think nobody saw Madame Web. Heck people in this thread commenting on it have flat out admitted they only saw Marvels and not Madame Web.

So with that out of the way, yes Madame Web is still better than Marvels. Looked better, as I have said before, and was less dull than Marvels for me. And ... Adam Scott is the best Uncle Ben we have even seen put to screen. Next to Cliff Robertson, of course. It was cool to see his version of the character, pre-Peter and May, and I totally didn't see the "getting shot in Queens" thing as offensive or insensitive. Its kind of silly to turn a little typical banter between two first responders into this big offensive thing.

The first responder stuff in Madame Web was pretty neat to watch overall.

But hey lets not kid ourselves, neither movie is Casa Blanca.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-24-2024 at 11:42 AM.

This thread is asking which movie we liked more. So yes it does make sense when you look at it that way. My preference is for Madame Web. I liked it more than Marvels. But I think nobody saw Madame Web. Heck people in this thread commenting on it have flat out admitted they only saw Marvels and not Madame Web.

So with that out of the way, yes Madame Web is still better than Marvels. Looked better, as I have said before, and was less dull than Marvels for me. And ... Adam Scott is the best Uncle Ben we have even seen put to screen. Next to Cliff Robertson, of course. It was cool to see his version of the character, pre-Peter and May, and I totally didn't see the "getting shot in Queens" thing as offensive or insensitive. Its kind of silly to turn a little typical banter between two first responders into this big offensive thing.

Didn't think the line was offensive, it was just a really dumb way to give an Easter Egg IMO. And then the delivery was clunky and didn't land, just like the whole Madame Web movie itself.

BANNED

I can't take seriously when you say this because I genuinely do not believe you actually watched the Marvels.
    Every time you've talked about the movie you've either just gotten basic information about it wrong and just repeatedly called it dull when it's pointed out what you said about the movie didn't make sense.

I like MW better because it's funny. It's pure uncanny valley cinema. Almost every line of dialogue is delivered as if the actors were held at gunpoint. There is inflection/emotion on all of the wrong words, it's like they put multiple takes of one scene together as one and didn't care about the context of how people were speaking to each other. And there's no self awareness about how much of an awkward jarbled mess it is. It's endlessly entertaining to see movies like this. The Marvels is just an average MCU product to me.
    They/Them

I can still describe it in the way that feels best to me in explaining why I dislike that stuff. What you described would never happen in a movie because that's a literal interpretation of what I came up with in describing the type of soundbyte humor in Marvel movies.
    You certainly can, I'm just saying it feels like an overblown critique to me especially as simmilar kinds of scenes have played out not only in literally hundreds of other films but in real life situations as well. You're welcome not to care for it but unless it bothers you in every other situation it just comes across as weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Didn't think the line was offensive, it was just a really dumb way to give an Easter Egg IMO. And then the delivery was clunky and didn't land, just like the whole Madame Web movie itself.
    Fair enough. Guess I didn't catch that as an Easter Egg while watching the movie, so didn't judge it one way or another. It just seemed like banter between two friends to me. The movie definitely had its share of cringy moments, though, even without that one!

I can't take seriously when you say this because I genuinely do not believe you actually watched the Marvels.
    Every time you've talked about the movie you've either just gotten basic information about it wrong and just repeatedly called it dull when it's pointed out what you said about the movie didn't make sense.
    Oh I saw it, your honor. It was a November day in 2023 at the Harkins Theatre. I smuggled in a sandwich. Yes, it was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! Meanwhile I ate my sandwich and watched a very boring and lackluster movie.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-24-2024 at 12:34 PM.

You certainly can, I'm just saying it feels like an overblown critique to me especially as simmilar kinds of scenes have played out not only in literally hundreds of other films but in real life situations as well. You're welcome not to care for it but unless it bothers you in every other situation it just comes across as weird to me.
    You're right, I just don't like it in superhero fare. Non or pre MCU stuff typically doesn't have that type of dialogue and that's what I prefer.
    They/Them

Astonishing Member

I do think MW gave a better introduction to the supporting cast. Since I watched all the Disney+ MCU shows I knew the background of Monica and Kamala and wasn't confused about their appearance in The Marvels. I imagine some people were and didn't appreciate having to watch the shows. For instance I had a friend who just recently watched WandaVision before MOM and he was a bit lost until he saw the show. Now he wants to re-watch MOM to since he fully understands the whole story.