Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Men Monday #241 – Foxe On ‘X-Men ’97,’ ‘Dead X-Men,’ & ‘Blood Hunt: Psylocke'

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/03/04/x-...foxe-x-men-97/

Ah man, confirmation he's almost done with mutant work. Bummer!

AIPT: Welcome back to X-Men Monday, Steve!

Steve Foxe: Thanks for having me, Chris! I feel like I’m the going-out-of-business sale right now. Fitting in as many X-Men Mondays as I can before my mutant runs wrap up!

AIPT: Fast-forward to the not-too-distant past. How did the opportunity to reteam with your X-Men ‘92: House of XCII collaborator Salva Espin on an X-Men ‘97 prequel mini-series come about? And how would young Steve feel knowing he gets to bridge the gap between the two X-Men animated series?

Steve: I had such a blast working with Salva on House of XCII, which was a love letter to the ’90s animated show, if technically in its own distinct universe. As I understand it, Beau DeMayo and the X-Men ’97 team got a chance to check out House of XCII and asked for Salva and I to team up again for this official prequel. Obviously, that’s a huge honor and was a no-brainer HECK YEAH when our editor, Jordan D. White, reached out.

AIPT: And what can you share about the actual story that unfolds throughout your four-issue series? Is it safe to assume we see the beginnings of Jean Grey’s pregnancy? Bishop’s return to the X-Men? Maybe even Storm getting a haircut? Any special cameos?

Steve: The goal of our story is to bridge the ending of the original show with where things kick off in X-Men ’97, which will include a couple of the specifics you asked about above! Without giving too much away, we’re going to show a bit of where the world at large currently stands on mutants, as well as shadowy forces who may want to change that perception. Key villains of the cartoon will have their backstories fleshed out here, important team relationships get put under the microscope, and some of the small changes between the original show and X-Men ’97 get a little more explanation in the pages of our story. Plus we got to introduce a few of my FAVORITE ‘90s villains to the world of X-Men ’97. As for cameos — anyone who’s read House of XCII knows I can’t resist, but we are a bit more focused on the main cast here. The nods are there if you keep your eyes peeled!

AIPT: What can you tease about Dead X-Men #3, on sale March 13, 2024?

Steve: You’ll see we have four talented artists credited on this issue, with Lynne Yoshii, David Baldeon, and Javier Pina joining Bernard Chang for a whirlwind tour of, you guessed it — other past lives of Moira MacTaggert. And one of those lives might just involve a shocking twist on the sort of X-Men teams we’ve seen before. We’re also building toward a — dare I say it — betrayal.

AIPT: Finally — one more chance to tease! What can you share about the recently announced X-Men: Blood Hunt – Psylocke (featuring Greycrow)?

Steve: I’m so excited Psylocke is public knowledge now! While I never feel entitled to anything, I admittedly would have been bummed if I didn’t get to do anything Blood Hunt-related, since I keep a foot firmly planted in the horror world.

And while the full story will have to wait for a future X-Men Monday, Kwannon was at the top of my list of X-characters I wanted to write but never had a chance to tackle. And I absolutely loved the relationship she formed with John Greycrow in Hellions, so the first question I asked when approached for this was if I could borrow the former Marauder, too. I’m reuniting here with Lynne Yoshii, who drew the Sunfire arc of X-Men Unlimited and part of Dead X-Men #3, [as mentioned above], so it’s a big thrill to get to work together on a complete print issue.

Oooh I'm excited that Lynne Yoshii is drawing Blood Hunt: Psylocke because I loved her work on the Sunfire/Redroot Saga.

This week's eXclusive preview images:

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Incredible Member

Well, I guess this quote from Foxe confirms he is not one of the writers on the new line-up of books come this summer:

"I feel like I’m the going-out-of-business sale right now. Fitting in as many X-Men Mondays as I can before my mutant runs wrap up!"

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Yeah I was hoping for Foxe to stick around frankly, although I did expect Brevoort to want to start fresh with all-new creative teams at least for the first wave of titles. Still, it doesn't mean creators like Foxe or Ewing, or the many talented artists of the Krakoa era, might not have another go at a later date.

The most underused talent of this era, along with Camp from the CotV mini. He'd have gotten to tell his piece in Unlimited in an actual comic, if he'd been onboarded earlier, in all probability.

Good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    The most underused talent of this era, along with Camp from the CotV mini. He'd have gotten to tell his piece in Unlimited in an actual comic, if he'd been onboarded earlier, in all probability.

Good luck to him.
    I’d say Camp takes the cake. Foxe at least got to write 3(?) in-continuity series and got to write a wide range of X-characters. Camp got to write two big characters and introduce some really interesting concepts only to not be given another chance to put his stamp on the material. I REALLY hope Brevoort considers adding him to his new writers room because we really only got a tease of what he’s capable of.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 03-04-2024 at 07:45 AM.

And Camp is still working for Marvel since he's writing the next volume of the Ultimates.

Sucks that Foxe wont be around after Fall of X. With the good work he has done so far, he deserves to keep working in X-books.

It's sad Foxe might not be writing more X-Books but I feel like he's going places as a writer so I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Yeah I was hoping for Foxe to stick around frankly, although I did expect Brevoort to want to start fresh with all-new creative teams at least for the first wave of titles. Still, it doesn't mean creators like Foxe or Ewing, or the many talented artists of the Krakoa era, might not have another go at a later date.
    Agreed. I hope Mr. Brevoort reads this edition and saw Foxe say, "That said, for any editors in the audience, that overlap period is well behind me and I am very available for new projects " Make it happen, Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Well, I guess this quote from Foxe confirms he is not one of the writers on the new line-up of books come this summer:

"I feel like I’m the going-out-of-business sale right now. Fitting in as many X-Men Mondays as I can before my mutant runs wrap up!"
    OR...this may be a misdirect....

I love to delude myself
    A picture would last longer darling...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I’d say Camp takes the cake. Foxe at least got to write 3(?) in-continuity series and got to write a wide range of X-characters. Camp got to write two big characters and introduce some really interesting concepts only to not be given another chance to put his stamp on the material. I REALLY hope Brevoort considers adding him to his new writers room because we really only got a tease of what he’s capable of.
    The COTV were arguably neglected and underdeveloped for 4 years (after over a decade of even less), so it was certainly a thankless job trying to make them interesting and viable in just a 4 issue mini series that was also not allowed to have any impact on the "important" events and titles.

And yet the writer seems to have provided an admirable effort regardless.

Carey and Bachalo were their daddys. hope the COTV come back as ROGUE´S ENEMIES.

Rogue and Perro deserve a match to till Perro´s death

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Ugh... more Sinister.

to be really honest, they have lost me as a fan at this point. They should start promoting the new era ASAP because I feel worn out and think about dropping my entire X-Men pull list at this point.

Comicbooks are way too expensive and fast read to feel so bored reading them...