Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Crispin Glover I can see as a henchman type similar to his role in CHARLIE'S ANGELS.
    Toyman.....

Sean Connery perhaps? He pretty much quit acting apart from voice roles (Sir Billi and Bond in the FWRL game) after "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

He certainly inspired a few comics, though:
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

There are actors I could see not wanting to do a superhero film, but isn't the whole point of acting to embody the role you accept, regardless of genre?

What about different types of superheroes? Like maybe some actors are better at perhaps a vigilante type (or no powers but with gadgets like Batman, Iron Man, Black Widow etc) than somebody with powers or gifts.

It would be a shame if Kathy Bates never gets her shot to play Granny Goodness.

I couldn’t picture her in any other CBM role but that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There are actors I could see not wanting to do a superhero film, but isn't the whole point of acting to embody the role you accept, regardless of genre?
    Well its not as if there is a rotation of actors who get parts. Dakota would have had to hear about the role, audition for it, get a call back and then accept it. She knew what she was doing and what kind of a movie it was going to be. So yes, one should accept the role that they accept.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post

I would've said Perry White, but Gunn's already got that casted. Maybe RJ Brande? Ma Hunkle?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 03-06-2024 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    What about different types of superheroes? Like maybe some actors are better at perhaps a vigilante type (or no powers but with gadgets like Batman, Iron Man, Black Widow etc) than somebody with powers or gifts.
    Those are still actors who fit superhero movies, who make sense in movies where people dress up in armor to fight crime.

One question I haven't resolved is whether something like Joker is a superhero movie, since it's a bit of a 70s/80s Scorsese pastiche more than any comic book adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Some actors are better and weaker in specific modes.

I'm more interested in that question than in whether actors think something is beneath them.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post

Kathy Bates has range.

She's been in multiple seasons of the American Horror Story series.

She can play lead villains, evil assistant villains, retirees who saw something weird decades ago that connects to the main plot, a teen superhero's angry teacher, perplexed neighbors, Ma Kent, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Dakota Johnson fit in just fine, she just hates that the movie wasn't a big hit and is backing away. Not really her fault that the studio picked a z-list character to do a movie about, didn't market it well and then wrote a kind of boring plot.
    It could just be her way of distancing from a flop, but she's been in big films, like the Fifty Shades series and Black Mass.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I would've said Perry White, but Gunn's already got that casted. Maybe RJ Brande? Ma Hunkle?
    I laughed when I read that, but then I started thinking and that could've been genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Kathy Bates has range.

She's been in multiple seasons of the American Horror Story series.

She can play lead villains, evil assistant villains, retirees who saw something weird decades ago that connects to the main plot, a teen superhero's angry teacher, perplexed neighbors, Ma Kent, etc.
    Absolutely, Bates can play anything.

It's just she wouldn't have been first in my mind to be in a CBM... unless she was from Apokolips and yelling at her Furies.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One question I haven't resolved is whether something like Joker is a superhero movie, since it's a bit of a 70s/80s Scorsese pastiche more than any comic book adaptation.
    It is a superhero film (in a very loose sense, which you kinda need) and also isn't (since like you said, it's a very Scorcese type film in that it's very not superhero also). That's how I think it best to view it.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

A movie is a team effort. A poorly conceived story approved by suits too eager to see dollar signs leaving a marketing department to try and present the project as fun results in a poorly received film more times than not.
    This will date me but I recall reading letters pages in fan magazine of the day saying how Michael Keaton as Batman was a horrible choice. Skip ahead and Heath Ledger as the Joker was the newest worst idea EVER.
    Any actor given the right tools from script, costume, direction and promotion can inhabit any world or genre.
    Dakota Johnson was failed from multiple sources. It is not that she can't inhabit this genre of film.

Now I have not seen the film as yet. I've actually seen some posts that say while its not Winter Soldier it is also not Howard the Duck if you just take the film for what it is vs what you might have expected it to be.
    Based on some word of mouth I thought I'd dislike Blue Beetle and Flash but they weren't overall bad. So maybe Madame Web could fall into that zone for me as well eventually.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I have a hard time imagining Meryl Streep doing a superhero movie. But I would have said the same about Robert Redford, Annette Bening or Michael Douglas so I may yet be surprised.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Harrison Ford as well in forthcoming CA:BNW, pending seeing his portrayal of Ross course.
    Cate Blanchet was great as was Anthony Hopkins in the Thor films.
    Angelina Jolie in Eternals? I've still only seen it once and can't say I recall her performance much but that is overall true of the whole film. Not really solid commentary on just her.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Anybody think she might've made a decent Jessica Drew? (Although maybe a simplified origin without the High Evolutionary, HYDRA, and technically being nearly a century old bits, and definitely not the "possibly a spider turned into a human" part!).

Hopkins arguably played a superhero of sorts in the prologue of Mask of Zorro. (Zorro is after all one of the inspirations for Batman).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-07-2024 at 10:23 AM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I have a hard time imagining Meryl Streep doing a superhero movie. But I would have said the same about Robert Redford, Annette Bening or Michael Douglas so I may yet be surprised.
    That's interesting, because I think of her as a real actress with a ton of versatility. With the range she has, I can see her as an older hero, mom/aunt, villain ...