Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen13

Default Gen13

Based on the much appreciated feedback given from my previous Stormwatch/Wildcats thread, I recently picked up their early runs. I've really enjoyed them and thought what everyone's opinion was regarding the Gen13 series. As always, thank you in advance. 👍🏻

The first era is really really fun. It couldn't be done today. But it is really fun.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I liked Gail Simone's run on Gen 13 and I'm curious about Claremont's Gen 14 era.

I was hoping they'd get a spinoff in the Wild Storm Imprint but alas.

I think theyd work as proto-titans. Having them be active before Dick and the others makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked Gail Simone's run on Gen 13 and I'm curious about Claremont's Gen 14 era.

I was hoping they'd get a spinoff in the Wild Storm Imprint but alas.

I think theyd work as proto-titans. Having them be active before Dick and the others makes sense to me.
    A while back there was an interesting thread about which characters and concepts could/should be connected to a particular era and Gen 13 having been active in the 90s of the DCU is a cool concept IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    A while back there was an interesting thread about which characters and concepts could/should be connected to a particular era and Gen 13 having been active in the 90s of the DCU is a cool concept IMO.
    Having the Wildstorm heroes be active in the gap between the JSA's retirement in the 50s and the JLA's appearances in the modern day is one way to go.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The first era is really really fun. It couldn't be done today. But it is really fun.
    I didn't collect that run -- but did get some of the specials that came out late in the game -- before DC acquire Wildstorm. J. Scott Campbell's work was cheesy, but indeed a lot of fun.

Amazing Member

The stuff by J Scott Cambel is really the only time the title was worth buying. I do have a couple Gen X Gen 13 crosovers.

Yeah! Gotta agree with the majority, the J. Scott Campbell era is the true highlight (XD)

As for other runs, Adam Warren (when both writing & drawing his own stuff) was quite memorable...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

As a huge Wildstorm fan, Gen13 is of course near and dear to my heart. I enjoyed many stories with these characters over the years but IMO nothing ever compared to that first mini that originally launched them. The Campbell/Lee years of the ongoing series were good and also the Arcudi/Frank and Adam Warren runs were fun but the raw energy of that original first mini remains unmatched.

Warren Ellis came up with a brilliant setup for Gen13 in his The Wild Storm, it's such a shame it never went anywhere.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Lore View Post
    The stuff by J Scott Cambel is really the only time the title was worth buying. I do have a couple Gen X Gen 13 crosovers.
    I think Alan Davis did a mini or special that I liked. The stuff DC put out didn't interest me.

Gen-13: Ordinary Heroes from Adam Hughes, who both wrote & drew it. For that reason, it's critically-acclaimed & highly recommended (IMHO):

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I really, really enjoyed the Adam Warren run and the above Adam Hughes two-parter. Also, there was a really quite good Superman/ Gen 13 crossover with really great Lee Bermejo art. Some good Arcudi stuff too.

Though oddly, I didn't enjoy the early stuff at all. The writing was really not up to snuff.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Yeah! Gotta agree with the majority, the J. Scott Campbell era is the true highlight (XD)

As for other runs, Adam Warren (when both writing & drawing his own stuff) was quite memorable...

Who’s that holding on to Burnout in the first art?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Who’s that holding on to Burnout in the first art?
    Jodi Slayton, daughter of Marc Slayton: Backlash

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-12-2024 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Though oddly, I didn't enjoy the early stuff at all. The writing was really not up to snuff.
    I'd say the early stuff was "FUN" if you go for the vulgar, irreverent, sexed up comedy. I recall letting a couple of gal friends take a look thru a couple of issues of GEN13 and they found it really sexist and offensive because of how the plot put the characters in gratuitously sexual positions - Fairchild's clothes getting ripped off etc...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.