Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    the one book that isn’t even a comic
    Ah yes, “this isn’t even a comic” - very reasonable take.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You could argue the same thing when it comes to the title of “X-Men”. It’s only when you go into other titles within the X-line that you begin to get different mission statements for the books whether it be New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Force, Exiles, etc. Heck, the Spider-books have their own differences in swings once you exit books called Spider-Man. Just look at the likes of Venom, Carnage and Spider-Woman. But when you make use of the name X-Men, you’re evoking a familiarity of aesthetic across the properties that share the name.
    It's not really the same. Spider-People are almost universally modeled after Peter's main costume. They all look very similar, and they generally model much of their stories around Peter's. Whereas mutants are largely very diverse in looks, origins, powers, etc.

But we've seen radical reinventions still use that name and purposely try to highlight how different things are. Case in point: HoX/PoX. And I'd say this is much less radical.

I do think it's pretty valid here, for multiple reasons. The book knows it's different, so to remind people that this is X-Men and will tie into X-Men, you need the X-Men branding. That despite being different, this book and what is has to say will tie into mutants

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    "It's only been one issue."

Why are so many people making that excuse for this comic when it wasn't necessary for Spider-Man or Black Panther? Do you not see why that's a problem? If in the first issue, Momoko couldn't even establish mutants, mutant powers, or how the events of this story fits into Ultimate Marvel (like every other title has), then that's just bad writing or gross negligence on the part of the editors. There's being slow in building the plot. And then there's being sloppy. This was the latter.
    Except Spider-Man and Black Panther are solo books that absolutely need to establish their leads. The story revolves around those specific characters and their personal lore. Meanwhile, Momoko is deliberately choosing to take a slow burn approach as Armor learns about mutants and her powers (which were already shown, and we know that next issue will dive into powers further.) This isn't incompetence or negligence, this is a very deliberate way of introducing the themes and building on them in a way that fits the universe's lore.

You can't compare a dive into a developing mystery where the characters are specifically just learning about mysteries, to solos where they kind of had to establish things right away because they don't need to explore those things. You can't compare team books to solos. They're different beasts with different rules and goals. Also, Spider-Man is a very deliberate in how it's going about things: the whole series is predicated on you knowing Spider-Man's normal lore, and seeing Peter get back into the familiar.

And I also think you're overestimating how many people know who Armor is. Are you going to say with a straight face that people will recognize Armor as much as they'll recognize Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben? If you believe that, then you're not arguing in good faith.
    No, I'm not saying that. But she IS an established X-Men and the book is not only using her, but they're referencing a lot about her 616 lore. That's a far cry from the "It's only an X-Men book in name only" rhetoric that's been established. Yeah, using A-listers would make it more familiar. But it's still very much an X-book, and it branching out from the norm shouldn't be treated as a flaw.

A simple reading of Ultimate Fantastic Four #1 made it clear that it was a Fantastic Four story. A similar reading of Ultimate X-Men didn't make clear at all that Armor was a mutant or that what was happening had anything to do with the events of other Ultimate books.
    Once again, different books with different goals and stories. The Fantastic Four IS the core members with one core origin.

Even if it does build up over the course of multiple issues, it's already on a bad pace.
    No it's not, because it's meant to ease you into the mysterious world of mutants, which is meant to be, well, mysterious. The characters are discovering things. Laying out all the cards on the table would not only go against that, but it would mean taking focus away from other story elements.

And now, we've got an OC in Maystorm that's supposed to fill in the gaps. And I don't know if you remember how Ultimate X-Men played out last time. But OC's in Ultimate X-Men did not work and they were part of the reason why the series took such a drastic downturn.
    I wasn't a fan of Maystorm's inclusion either. But I doubt she'll sink the book. We can look at the OC issue again down the line, if it becomes a problem later on. I think it's a valid complaint. But like, that's another "wait and see" thing.

I'm going to make a bet now. And save this post later so we know which one of us was vindicated. I'm willing to bet a fair amount of money that you're going to automatically like, justify, and support Ultimate X-Men #2 and Maystorm. I think you've already decided that you're going to make yourself like it, even if it's not well-received by most fans. I may still be wrong about this. But right now, I think you've already made up your mind about this series. Otherwise, you wouldn't be making excuses like this.
    Wow.
    Last edited by Rift; 03-11-2024 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    It's not really the same. Spider-People are almost universally modeled after Peter's main costume. They all look very similar, and they generally model much of their stories around Peter's. Whereas mutants are largely very diverse in looks, origins, powers, etc.

But we've seen radical reinventions still use that name and purposely try to highlight how different things are. Case in point: HoX/PoX. And I'd say this is much less radical.

I do think it's pretty valid here, for multiple reasons. The book knows it's different, so to remind people that this is X-Men and will tie into X-Men, you need the X-Men branding. That despite being different, this book and what is has to say will tie into mutants.
    That kinda feels like moving the goalposts as to say that one drastic swing counts while another doesn’t simply because while different that it remains recognizable. Which honestly, is something that should be the case even when you tackle a different take on that franchise. Even when something is taking on a vastly different take, it should at least retain some semblance of being recognizable. Like X-Men 2099 had to invent an entirely new cast of characters due to being set in the far future but when reading it, even as a casual, it could still be recognized as being X-Men. That’s not something that I can say with this book. I find that this could have worked better as an anthology book that introduces the various different parts that will form the X-Men while giving the reader a view of what exactly being a mutant means in this universe before the beginning of Ultimate X-Men focuses on bringing these pieces together. That way you go into the book knowing what this team is about as well as what is mutantkind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    That kinda feels like moving the goalposts as to say that one drastic swing counts while another doesn’t simply because while different that it remains recognizable. Which honestly, is something that should be the case even when you tackle a different take on that franchise. Even when something is taking on a vastly different take, it should at least retain some semblance of being recognizable. Like X-Men 2099 had to invent an entirely new cast of characters due to being set in the far future but when reading it, even as a casual, it could still be recognized as being X-Men. That’s not something that I can say with this book.
    The Spider-Man example is still pretty apt though, I think. The Spider-Verse basically requires that all the stories, characters and lore take heavy cues from one specific source. It's such a different beast that you can't fairly compare them. Though the X-Men 2099 example isn't that great, since there wasn't really a mystery to uncover about them. It was pretty in-your-face. X-Men 2099 and UXM are doing different things. Yeah, I can see why the mystery aspect would make it less recognizable, but it's still very much an X-book imo.

Everything else you said? Honestly, fair. They could have made bigger changes while still being similar to older stuff. Like if they made the star of this Cyclops and had it take place in Idaho or whatever, it'd be more in-line with the X-Men image. I already mentioned it before, but I think it's pretty reasonable for people to want something more familiar and in-line with expectations. But that doesn't mean going with something different is inherently bad, like many people have been saying. And I still think that this issue is still recognizable, despite the mystery and choice of characters. If this book was going to be completely different going forward, I could get the complaints. But we're slowly easing things in and showing off how mutants will look going forward.

I find that this could have worked better as an anthology book that introduces the various different parts that will form the X-Men while giving the reader a view of what exactly being a mutant means in this universe before the beginning of Ultimate X-Men focuses on bringing these pieces together. That way you go into the book knowing what this team is about as well as what is mutantkind.
    I think that's a good idea. But honestly, I prefer how it's done now. I'd rather the focus be on developing Armor's story and resolving the current arc, which you can't get if you keep bouncing around the world and changing the focus. Fair play if others disagree, but I think a lot can be accomplished with Armor as the focus.
    Last edited by Rift; 03-11-2024 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    I’m not making an excuse, I’m pointing out a very basic tenet of ongoing storytelling. There’s more story to come.
    Then, explain why nobody was making that point for Ultimate Spider-Man or Ultimate Black Panther.

At the very least, can we agree the pacing here is slow?

Very little happens and Hisako's powers are fairly disconnected from it all. They function less like chaotic mutant abilities and more of a deus ex machina trope that basically solves her problems for her and gives her (literal) plot armor. Even if there's more to come, this one issue is just full of textbook terrible writing. If this were a story told in a high school English class, it wouldn't even fail. It would be listed as Incomplete.

I have read Demon Days and indie comics. Who says they have to be confined to those books?
    When did I ever say they had to be confined to those books?

My point is this comic is entitled Ultimate X-Men. But it doesn't involve X-Men or Ultimate Marvel. It's not about the story being confined. It's about a story actually making sense narratively, thematically, and even logically.

Probably not but who cares? I’m not going to let marketing decisions influence whether or not a liked a book. Ultimate Black Panther also wouldn’t have gotten the same attention without that title.

I enjoyed this comic, and it doesn’t bother me that it’s called Ultimate X-Men despite not feeling like a typical X-Men or Ultimate book. You’re acting like I’m predisposed to liking it just because of the title, yet I thought UBP was just okay, and I was actually a bit let down by Invasion. I liked it because I think Peach is a talented artist who made a good comic.
    Glad you answered because I've asked this question to multiple people and nearly everyone avoids answering it at all costs. And I think it's telling because it implies that this story isn't good enough to stand on its own. If it went by another name, nobody would care about it. Nobody would read it. And if they did, they probably wouldn't be making as many excuses for it as they are now. It also heavily indicates that Marvel doesn't really care about Ultimate X-Men, as a series. You or I could've been given the job, told any random story, and they wouldn't care, knowing it would sell just because of the title alone.

And why compare it to Ultimate Black Panther? That comic actually has Black Panther, Wakanda, and events from Ultimate Marvel involved. That, alone, makes it a more competent comic than this.

And here's a follow-up question...would you have bought the book or even been aware of it if it weren't entitled Ultimate X-Men? Be honest.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

You're not even actually making a point. The book is called Ultimate X-Men because it's the new Ultimate X-Men book. That's always what it was going to be, Marvel isn't tricking anyone into reading an AU X-Men story since for all intents and purposes that's what this is.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It was a good starter but it looks like Momoko needs to put the pedal to the medal (?) cuz X-Men fans seem to want X-Men in their X-Men books.

The 2099 comparison seems fair; the creative team had to start from scratch and as the one book in 2099 line that promised a team, it delivered one in the opening.
    "Cable was right!"

Then, explain why nobody was making that point for Ultimate Spider-Man or Ultimate Black Panther.
    You need to learn what an excuse is. ItÂ’s not an excuse to say that more story will come. People are talking about the three books differently because theyÂ’re different books.

At the very least, can we agree the pacing here is slow?
    Never said it wasnÂ’t. Slow pacing is fine by me.

[Quite]And here's a follow-up question...would you have bought the book or even been aware of it if it weren't entitled Ultimate X-Men? Be honest.[/QUOTE]

I would, because IÂ’m a fan of Peach Momoko. Just like how I wouldÂ’ve bought USM regardless of the title because IÂ’m a Hickman fan. ItÂ’s Black Panther and Ultimates that IÂ’m buying for the brand name.

But that doesnÂ’t matter. IÂ’m not sure what point youÂ’re trying to make here with this gotcha attempt. Every book has marketing. If I like the contents, what difference does it make to me what brought me into the book?

YouÂ’re writing so much about stuff thatÂ’s not inside the pages of the book. If you hate it, so be it. IÂ’m not trying to tell you youÂ’re wrong to dislike it. But you canÂ’t seem to move past the title. You just have to accept that some people donÂ’t mind that it doesnÂ’t look like youÂ’d hoped it would.

Ah yes, “this isn’t even a comic” - very reasonable take.
    Sorry I recognize manga as its own distinct thing. Sorry for giving it more respect than you think it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    You're not even actually making a point. The book is called Ultimate X-Men because it's the new Ultimate X-Men book. That's always what it was going to be, Marvel isn't tricking anyone into reading an AU X-Men story since for all intents and purposes that's what this is.
    Oh they sure as spit are. Give me a break. Yeah why are we saying it isn’t ultimate X-men just because there are no x-men no mention of mutants and some unrecognizable version of a c1list x-men character.

Very little happens and Hisako's powers are fairly disconnected from it all. They function less like chaotic mutant abilities and more of a deus ex machina trope that basically solves her problems for her and gives her (literal) plot armor. Even if there's more to come, this one issue is just full of textbook terrible writing.
    A deus ex machina is something that usually happens at the end of a story, and is when an unexplained and underdeveloped element suddenly enters the story and resolves problems in a contrived way. An anti-climactic way of getting out of situations, in a way that betrays the rest of the story.

If the story was a one-shot and wasn't going to continue, then Armor randomly having powers would make no sense and just serve to save her from two life-threatening instance. But her discovering her powers and learning about them is like the whole point of the story. The book set up this mysterious power, will have Armor learn about it and will likely trying to master it. Having powers activate at the right time to protect someone is a recurring aspect in the X-Men franchise. It's part of the plot, makes sense in-universe and will be developed over time.

If this were a story told in a high school English class, it wouldn't even fail. It would be listed as Incomplete.
    I mean, the story literally is incomplete. It's the first chapter in an ongoing story. It was made to be the beginning of a bigger story that will continue to develop over the next few issues.

My point is this comic is entitled Ultimate X-Men. But it doesn't involve X-Men or Ultimate Marvel. It's not about the story being confined. It's about a story actually making sense narratively, thematically, and even logically.
    But it does involve X-Men? It's obviously about Armor and her power. Just because they didn't say the word "mutant" or spell things out, doesn't mean it's not about mutants. And they're going to explore what mutants are all about. They were actively hinting things in the first issue. They're just developing the mutant in a different way. I get the complaints that it feels different, but it's not some objectively bad storytelling choice. It's a pretty reasonable thing to have the audience learn about them alongside our characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The 2099 comparison seems fair; the creative team had to start from scratch and as the one book in 2099 line that promised a team, it delivered one in the opening.
    They're trying to accomplish different things, though. They have very different lore and IIRC, the 2099 team was already established before the book even began. Their story already started before the book began, and we're jumping into that. Here, Armor learning what mutants and powers are is a developing plot point. We're starting from the beginning and working our way to it.

Yeah, this makes the book less obviously familiar. But that's not a bad thing, which is what I've been arguing. Especially since the book is still quite familiar in a few places, and will grow to be even more familiar once things go on.

Very little happens and Hisako's powers are fairly disconnected from it all. They function less like chaotic mutant abilities and more of a deus ex machina trope that basically solves her problems for her and gives her (literal) plot armor. Even if there's more to come, this one issue is just full of textbook terrible writing. If this were a story told in a high school English class, it wouldn't even fail. It would be listed as Incomplete.
    You incorrectly using literary terms is not adding to your credibility and claims that this issue is terribly written. The function of a deus ex machina is to resolve an otherwise irresolvable plot situation and to bring the story to an end.

The conflict set up in this story is the death of Hisako’s friend and the mysterious dark entity that may have had something to do with it. None of her problems were solved by the end of the issue. Her powers didn’t allow her to defeat the main antagonist or confront her grief.

Under extreme stress her powers activated and protected her from a car crash. Hmmm what does that sound like? Oh yeah, a young Scott’s powers activating to protect him and his brother during a plane crash. Or was that a deus ex machina too?

And you’re right the story is incomplete… but I have never once in my life picked up an issue 1 of a comic book expecting a complete story.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 03-12-2024 at 09:16 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post

They're trying to accomplish different things, though. They have very different lore and IIRC, the 2099 team was already established before the book even began. Their story already started before the book began, and we're jumping into that. Here, Armor learning what mutants and powers are is a developing plot point. We're starting from the beginning and working our way to it.

Yeah, this makes the book less obviously familiar. But that's not a bad thing, which is what I've been arguing. Especially since the book is still quite familiar in a few places, and will grow to be even more familiar once things go on.
    Hickman already introduced mutants in Ultimate Invasion when we saw Colossus, Magik, Omega Red and Sunfire working for The Maker so there was already a genesis for mutants for whoever took control of the 6160 mutants to work with but Momoko decided to start from a new beginning.

The book mentions Sunfire's presence so it does seem weird Armor doesn't know about mutants. Do mutants still keep themselves a secret due to whatever changes the Maker made when he made 6160?
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Hickman already introduced mutants in Ultimate Invasion when we saw Colossus, Magik, Omega Red and Sunfire working for The Maker so there was already a genesis for mutants for whoever took control of the 6160 mutants to work with but Momoko decided to start from a new beginning.

The book mentions Sunfire's presence so it does seem weird Armor doesn't know about mutants. Do mutants still keep themselves a secret due to whatever changes the Maker made when he made 6160?
    We recognize these characters from their 616 counterparts but they are not confirmed to be mutants. Given the lack of super powered people in the 6160 universe it seems like mutants do not exist in the way we are used to. These may be the few that do, and maybe there are reasons there are never enough mutants for their existence or origin to be common knowledge. Even if these elite people might be known as mutants there is no reason for some average person who has experienced some strange event to jump to the conclusion that they are also a mutant. I expect the story will explain that, as a common theme in this Ultimate Universe is fighting back against The Maker and the emerging of mutants might be part of that progression.

Astonishing Member

What if they are once again the result of a super soldier experiment gone out of hand, like in the original Ultimate Universe, but this time the major players like the above mentioned characters and other members of an "elite" are fully aware of it?

As such they might not even consider the idea of calling themself "mutants" or taking the idea serious of being subjects of evolution of any kind, rather than just sticking with being artifical produced super humans and deriving their elitism from that.

Which also makes sense with the absence of Professor X, since he was the one who came up with the whole idea of applying the term mutant to what they are and that they might be the "next step in human evolution" as per pop culture pseudo science. Something which then inspired Magneto to his extreme ideology, which he then influenced other mutants with.