Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    You're not even actually making a point. The book is called Ultimate X-Men because it's the new Ultimate X-Men book. That's always what it was going to be, Marvel isn't tricking anyone into reading an AU X-Men story since for all intents and purposes that's what this is.
    You can put carrots, celery, spinach, and apple slices in a box labeled "Krispe Kreme Donuts" all you want. That doesn't make the contents Krispe Kreme donuts.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It was a good starter but it looks like Momoko needs to put the pedal to the medal (?) cuz X-Men fans seem to want X-Men in their X-Men books.

The 2099 comparison seems fair; the creative team had to start from scratch and as the one book in 2099 line that promised a team, it delivered one in the opening.
    If Momoko simply used the same approach of X-Men 2099, but adapted to this new Ultimate Universe, I would totally be on board with that. I think that could've definitely worked, set up as a world in which the Maker made sure the X-Men we knew could not come together. As a result, an entirely different crop of mutants had to come in to fill the need that was so clearly established in other Ultimate titles. I would have no problem with that.

Instead, we got an approach that has no real resemblance to the story, narratives, or themes surrounding mutants. And the fact that Momoko's PR team had to do a Facebook post responding to the criticisms the book has received is a clear sign that what she's doing isn't working so far. And given how Ultimate X-Men failed miserably the last time Marvel tried to rebuild them with new characters and setups, there are a lot of forces working against this series. The fact that Momoko's team seems to have a very flawed understanding of the over-arching themes of X-Men hints that this is not going to pan out well.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    You can put carrots, celery, spinach, and apple slices in a box labeled "Krispe Kreme Donuts" all you want. That doesn't make the contents Krispe Kreme donuts.
    Good thing mutant book put a mutant in it. And it's going to have more mutants, will talk about mutants, have mutant powers, and will probably have mutants doing mutant things.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    You need to learn what an excuse is. ItÂ’s not an excuse to say that more story will come. People are talking about the three books differently because theyÂ’re different books.
    This book could not achieve what Black Panther and Spider-Man achieved in one issue. And rather than accept that this book was flawed or lacking, you say it's just the first issue.

How does that not meet the criteria for an excuse?

I would, because IÂ’m a fan of Peach Momoko. Just like how I wouldÂ’ve bought USM regardless of the title because IÂ’m a Hickman fan. ItÂ’s Black Panther and Ultimates that IÂ’m buying for the brand name.

But that doesnÂ’t matter. IÂ’m not sure what point youÂ’re trying to make here with this gotcha attempt. Every book has marketing. If I like the contents, what difference does it make to me what brought me into the book?

YouÂ’re writing so much about stuff thatÂ’s not inside the pages of the book. If you hate it, so be it. IÂ’m not trying to tell you youÂ’re wrong to dislike it. But you canÂ’t seem to move past the title. You just have to accept that some people donÂ’t mind that it doesnÂ’t look like youÂ’d hoped it would.
    So, it sounds like you're saying you don't care what a comic is about or what it's called. So long as Peach Momoko makes it, you're going to buy it? And if anyone criticize it, you'll find a way to defend it? That makes no sense. And it gives the impression that you're not arguing in good faith and you know on some levels that the title, contents, and story in this book don't matter to you. It's just a comic by Momoko and that's it. Would it be wrong for anyone to call that incredibly shallow and short-sighted?

If that's the case, then I'm not sure why you're going out of your way to respond to criticisms of this issue.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peach Momoko via Facebook
    Thank you for all the comments!
    Me, Armor, Maystorm and the rest of the team �� are excited to tell our story��⚡️
    I think Momoko is going to do just fine telling the story she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This book could not achieve what Black Panther and Spider-Man achieved in one issue. And rather than accept that this book was flawed or lacking, you say it's just the first issue.
    Why do I have to accept the book is flawed? That’s not an objective fact. I think it’s a good book AND I think it’ll develop more as the story continues. Those are not conflicting opinions. There’s no excuse being made, because I don’t have to justify liking a comic.

So, it sounds like you're saying you don't care what a comic is about or what it's called. So long as Peach Momoko makes it, you're going to buy it?
    Well yeah, duh. I care a lot more about who’s making a book than what that book is about. There are a lot of creators who I’ll give a book a shot simply because their name is on the cover, and Peach has become one of those. What’s weird about that?

the title, contents, and story in this book don't matter to you
    Try reading my comments before you put words in my mouth. I’ve been very clear that I think the contents and story here are good. You’re right that the title doesn’t matter at all to me, because the title doesn’t affect the story. It could be called Ultimate Armor or Hisako Demon Days or Peach’s X-Men or whatever else you want to call it and that doesn’t change what’s in the actual book.

You can assume I’m just making up reasons to like the book, but that’s simply not the case. I think it’s a well told story with outstanding art. If that’s not a good enough reason for you, then so be it. I’m not sure why you think it’s impossible that some people might have a different opinion on a book than you.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Sorry I recognize manga as its own distinct thing. Sorry for giving it more respect than you think it deserves.
    Treating manga as “other” to the extent that you act like this isn’t a comic is the exact opposite of giving an artist respect.

People being mad this book exists remind me of all the whiny poons who cry every time Logan gets a new series. Just don’t read it. You can even say you’re not going to read it because it’s not your cup of tea. But then move the f@&$ on. Damn. Stop trying to scream into the void until it magically makes the offending book go away. That never works. I tried it once.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

It took five issues in the original Ultimate Spider-Man for Peter Parker to become a superhero.

i'm going to wait and read on unlimited.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Treating manga as “other” to the extent that you act like this isn’t a comic is the exact opposite of giving an artist respect.
    It's also a can of worms, since it means drawing a metaphorical line between sequential art produced in certain asian countries and those in the entire rest of the world, where the term "comic" seems perfectly applicable despite not necessarily following the american pattern of creation and publishing either.

So japanese have manga, south korean have manhwa and chinese have manhua and all by some metric are apparently not comics.
    But what about those from eastern and western europe? African countries? India? Brasil? Mexico? Argentinia? The list goes on. Why are these still comics in the american terminlogy but apparently japanese, chinese and south korean need to be excluded and disregarded from being fundamentaly the same medium of story telling for some reason?

There is nothing wrong with using umbrella terms like manga, manhwa and manhua to single out certain styles and origins of comics for the sake of discussion or marketing, but that doesn't stop them from still being the same kind of sequential art that is present around the world under the wider umbrella term comic.

It's like excluding sneakers from being shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It took five issues in the original Ultimate Spider-Man for Peter Parker to become a superhero.
    Not really sure that’s fully comparable. In the case of a solo, it’s telling the story and development of a single character and and their characters journey so you have the liberty of building their story since they are the sole focus of that story. In the case of a team book, the team is the focus with the different parts of it bouncing off of each other so if you’re starting from the ground up, you shouldn’t really drag your feet with getting the team together. Personal development can still happen but that typically happens after the team is together.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Problem is that there’s no guarantee that there will be another run that follows this especially with the volatility of the market. If they see that this isn’t hooking readers, they could very well just cut their losses and cancel it. Just look at what happened with Ultimate FF from the post-Cataclysm relaunch of the previous Ultimate line. It wasn’t making sales and the ended it after just 6 issues. The foundation of a universe that you’re trying to get off the ground is honestly a poor time to be this experimental especially with one of your core titles. I wish those of you who are a fan of this luck but as a fan of both manga and X-Men, this just isn’t my jam as I don’t read X-Men titles for indy horror. As a side book maybe I’d be more open to it, but not as my main source of X-Men in a universe.
    I know, but it's worth a risk taking this run right now.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherflash View Post
    I know, but it's worth a risk taking this run right now.
    Exactly! Doing the same things over and over again leads to death figuratively and literally. Marvel just spent 5 years doing something different with the X-Men and mutants in general that they had never done before. Admittedly I did not particularly care for the results, but I appreciated the effort. This was never going to be the same version of the X-Men, so why not do something different?

Cool fan fiction you wrote about my statement bro. Do you always tell people their thoughts so you can paint them in a poor light? Maybe try having an argument. Because sorry but when I think comics it not this.

And it has everything to do with what I grew up reading as comics and nothing to do with me otherizing Manga. Just like me not considering NASCAR a sport isn’t me otherizing nascar fans.
    Last edited by WeaponX; 03-13-2024 at 04:57 AM.