Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Maybe I am oversimplifying this, but why not just launch an Ultimate X-Men book more in line with the aesthetics of the rest of the new Ultimate line AND launch a new Marvel Manga line, with Momoko's X-Men book as the tentpole? Then you're pulling in more $$$.
    Reviving both Ultimate Marvel and the Marvel Mangaverse might be a bit overly ambitious, but I'd definitely be in favor of it. I still have some old issues from the Marvel Mangaverse. And I think Momoko would be perfect to spearhead that universe, given her familiarity with the style.

But that same style...I honestly don't think it was the issue in Ultimate X-Men #1. The art was fine. It was the actual substance of the story that was lacking. It really did not have the substance of an X-Men comic. It felt more like a generic manga that just happened to have a character whose name was identical to an X-Men character. And I don't think that's a good approach for building up this series alongside the other Ultimate titles. But I guess time will tell. Maybe there is a larger plan. It just hasn't been announced yet.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I don’t think that’s a fair statement. Within this thread itself there are folks digging into the lore, researching aspects of Japanese culture, and coming up with theories about what might come next. It’s clear that those folks genuinely enjoyed the content. Beyond that I’ve seen plenty of praise for the art and in particular the emotion it conveyed throughout the issue.

Don’t get me wrong I myself am still wondering what an Ultimate X-Men more in line with the rest of the line would look like, but I don’t wanna brush off the folks who are perfectly happy with what we got.
    Sure while there are certainly those who are digging into the lore of how this relates to Japanese culture, that seems to be more of a minority of the readers. Leading up to the book and even within discussions of the issue, all over the place the summarized statement has come up again and again about how good this is because it’s different from your traditional X-book and constantly dismissing dissenting opinions with that it’s a different universe so it should be different (while not taking into account that the issue isn’t it being different but that it doesn’t even remotely resemble what it’s supposed to be to the point that it might as well be a different product all together). Their main thing seems to come across as caring that it’s different rather than whether the differences still fit the product as to not alienate the audience. That these differences have split the audience while trying to establish a new universe it seems to be pretty risky to have gone in this direction.

To be honest I feel like people have less of an issue with the overall approach of execution of this book so much as calling it "Ultimate X-Men" and how it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the other Ultimate books.

Extraordinary Member

I think there is too much worrying about why people like this (or don't). Someone enjoying a book, and there are reasons other than 'it is different', does not mean they are dismissing someone else's opinion on it. We all can see the things that stand out about it without having to put that disclaimer in every post we talk about the things we liked.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I think there is too much worrying about why people like this (or don't). Someone enjoying a book, and there are reasons other than 'it is different', does not mean they are dismissing someone else's opinion on it. We all can see the things that stand out about it without having to put that disclaimer in every post we talk about the things we liked.
    It’s not really a matter of them saying it’s different that’s dismissive. It’s those that essentially say that those who dislike this just want the same thing that they’ve seen again and again and acting as though it’s just a classic X-Men setup that the dissenters are after that’s dismissive.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Its a decent start but works better as an Armor solo than an x-men book.

It's a fast read but overpriced for what it was. I rather tradewait it so I returned the issue.
    but its not an Armor book. The next issue looks to introduce another new character. This seems to be taking a similar approach of Ultimate Comics X featuring a different character until they all come together

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    but its not an Armor book. The next issue looks to introduce another new character. This seems to be taking a similar approach of Ultimate Comics X featuring a different character until they all come together
    While a valid perspective, the problem is that these aren't the early 2000's anymore.

The buyership of Marvel and DC comics was allready heavily decreased by that point because of the developments of the 1980's and 90's and has then significantly further eroded over the past 10 years, which made even the compliant hobbiest/collectors, who are still loyal to the product, picky about what they keep buying and entrenched in what they give a chance and what not. Worse this is burdened with the "Ultimate" moniker which by now evokes just as much nostalgic images of what the readership might expect as the regular universe did in the 2000's.

And these aren't 1 dollar products which are found on the magazine section of supermarkets or can be read for free in the first week of release on the publishers website

So it's unlikely that anyone but the set in their way buyership is going to notice this exist at all, let have enough people who are willing to monthly support for the forseeable future, until a trade paperback can even be assembled which MIGHT end on the shelves of regular book stores and be noticed and bought by people with more open minds.

As such it could be canceled before even 3 potential team members had been introduced.

So it would have arguably made more sense if it was promoted as Ultimate Armor solo mini and part of a series of minis that are supposed to introduce the members of the eventual team proper.

If this was a brand new cartoon and not locked to just Disney+, this whole set up would likely have a much better chance of success. But with the floppy comics being what they are, it's fate is likely a short lived one.

Beyond the name, I didn't get that impression when reading it. However I'm not the best judge as I got bored halfway through and skimmed the rest. I don't mind it being different but I didn't think it's for me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-07-2024 at 11:00 AM.

Could be it, but this one seems way more centered around a single character. Sure, the next one introduces Maystar as her friend, but the other solicited issues still seem to focus only on the two of them. There are some minor hints that Sunfire/Hydra/Silver Samurai will appear, but they're probably antagonists and not part of the "X-men".

The message I get from a lot of reactions is "if you want to do something different, do it at Image or Dark Horse, or whatever."
    Marvel and DC are for retelling stories about characters established decades ago, not for being all new, all different and being a house of ideas.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    The message I get from a lot of reactions is "if you want to do something different, do it at Image or Dark Horse, or whatever."
    Marvel and DC are for retelling stories about characters established decades ago, not for being all new, all different and being a house of ideas.
    Well that’s just entirely false and dismissive. Literally what people are saying isn’t don’t ever do anything new, it’s a matter of don’t go so crazy as to make what you do completely unrecognizable as to what it is that you’re adapting. If your adaption is so radically different that it might as well be something entirely different divorced from what it is you set out to adapt then what’s the point of it even being called that property?

If nothing else it's funny to contrast the new Ultimate X-Men by Mokoko with the original Ultimate X-Men by Mark "Edgelord" Millar.

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    If nothing else it's funny to contrast the new Ultimate X-Men by Mokoko with the original Ultimate X-Men by Mark "Edgelord" Millar.
    I mean, we opened the first issue with the subject of suicide right off the bat. It may not be as edgy as Millard’s but it sure as hell ain’t gonna be a little ray of sunshine either.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Could be it, but this one seems way more centered around a single character. Sure, the next one introduces Maystar as her friend, but the other solicited issues still seem to focus only on the two of them. There are some minor hints that Sunfire/Hydra/Silver Samurai will appear, but they're probably antagonists and not part of the "X-men".
    Oh ok. i was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it'll all come together at the end of this first arc

In case anyone is interested, I did a full review of this issue on my YouTube channel. The comments have been...interesting.

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.