Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I gave it a shot despite my reservations and I wouldn't call this a bad comic but the issue confirmed that this series just isn't meant for me. For those who enjoyed it I hope you all get a good long run for this series.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    this is right up my alley, I want the Ultimate Universe to be weird and unrecognizable.

I love the art and the "new" depictions that is going on, I cannot wait to see the X-Men coalesce together.
    My thoughts exactly. I loved this and can't wait for more.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
    Gave this a brief browse and something came to mind. I went to look it up to confirm and I was right: Tsubasa means “wing.” Love that reference to her deceased friend in the main continuity. While I appreciate that they give Momoko titles and freedom, it is a strange choice to have this be the first X-Men book of the Ultimate relaunch. Interested in seeing how she handles Maystorm.
    omg, I had the thought it might be a version of Wing, but didn't think to check the name translation. I love that, kudos to Peach Momoko.

I also think that this shadow-creature might be a version of Shadow King. Which I think is good, it makes this property feel more like the X-Men. I don't mind the separate vibes that it's establishing at the moment, but would like for it to move in that direction. Anyway personally I loved this and am very interested in following along even if it does feel different. Really hoping they can keep the individuality or atmospheric horror but make it feel... "mutant".

Honestly the only thing I'm worried about is the new OC that Momoko's gonna introduce. Still not at all keen toward MayStorm, every time I see her in preview art I just wish we'd gotten Surge instead.

This was one of the most disappointing comics I've read in a long time. I've been following this new Ultimate universe since it was announced. And I really loved how Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Black Panther built on what Hickman established.

But this...it just didn't work in the slightest.

If you didn't look at the title, you'd have no idea this involves X-Men, Ultimate Marvel, or mutants in any capacity. It's just the story of a young girl haunted by the death of her friend. Her being a mutant or having powers played no part in that, whatsoever. And sure, dealing with the death of a friend and the trauma that comes with it is a good premise for a story. But it just doesn't work here. There's no hint, clue, or connection of any kind to any of the narratives or themes associated with X-Men. It's fine to still tell this story, but why even call it Ultimate X-Men? Why even have it take place in this universe?

I get that this was supposed to be a different take on X-Men. But to be so different that it doesn't even mention the word "mutant" or any of the struggles associated with being a mutant...at that point, it might as well go by another title.

My expectations for this series have already plummeted. And I do not have high hopes for Maystorm. Given the history of OC's in Ultimate Marvel, she strikes me as another Geldoff.

Hopefully, once Momoko is done with this arc, another writer can come aboard and set this series up in a way that actually feels like X-Men.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

i think the "Ghoul" is this universe version of Shadow King.

Maybe the "clasic setting" will be shown going forward.

Astonishing Member

On the idea of taking inspiration from manga and doing something weird and unrecognizable with parts of the X-men mythos in the new Ultimate Universe, got me thinking about an alternate version of the Morlocks as a large community of mutant blue collar workers in a run down and grimy industrial city looking akin to The Hole from the manga Dorohedoro.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-06-2024 at 11:11 AM.

Its a decent start but works better as an Armor solo than an x-men book.

It's a fast read but overpriced for what it was. I rather tradewait it so I returned the issue.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-06-2024 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This was one of the most disappointing comics I've read in a long time. I've been following this new Ultimate universe since it was announced. And I really loved how Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Black Panther built on what Hickman established.

But this...it just didn't work in the slightest.

If you didn't look at the title, you'd have no idea this involves X-Men, Ultimate Marvel, or mutants in any capacity. It's just the story of a young girl haunted by the death of her friend. Her being a mutant or having powers played no part in that, whatsoever. And sure, dealing with the death of a friend and the trauma that comes with it is a good premise for a story. But it just doesn't work here. There's no hint, clue, or connection of any kind to any of the narratives or themes associated with X-Men. It's fine to still tell this story, but why even call it Ultimate X-Men? Why even have it take place in this universe?

I get that this was supposed to be a different take on X-Men. But to be so different that it doesn't even mention the word "mutant" or any of the struggles associated with being a mutant...at that point, it might as well go by another title.

My expectations for this series have already plummeted. And I do not have high hopes for Maystorm. Given the history of OC's in Ultimate Marvel, she strikes me as another Geldoff.

Hopefully, once Momoko is done with this arc, another writer can come aboard and set this series up in a way that actually feels like X-Men.
    That's pretty much the way I feel about this. The book isn't bad but I think it was a mistake leading a new Ultimate X-Men book like this.

Just as a minor note, the shoes that Tsubasa was depicted as wearing when he died are uwabaki, a kind of slipper with a rubber sole intended for indoor use only. The main place you see them are in school rooms/buildings. Kids will change out of their shiny black school shoes into them when they arrive at school (you may also see them in some office type jobs, but not as commonly, usually a different type of slipper might be used there. At my office we used open toe style Uniqlo slippers. A little easier to change back and forth).
    So the implication COULD be that Tsubasa died at school, which might actually give more credence to the teacher being involved.

Oh and in Japan, bullying in schools, both from peers and unfortunately teachers, is still a fairly big social issue that gets a little "blind eyed".
    Last edited by PopCulturePooka; 03-06-2024 at 01:44 PM.

I love that they let 桃桃子 just go off and do her thing, rather than making her adhere to any grand Hickman plan.

I don’t understand the people asking for a classic X-Men set up here. This is the year of X-Men ‘97. There’s going to be no shortage of that.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this was a nice intro, very moody and with very pretty art, but the slow pace might shift me to trade-reading. More Demon Days/Peach Momoko than Ultimate X-Men, which could possibly doom it from a commercial standpoint, but personally I'm curious to read how the story develops.

Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

Really enjoyed this issue, I know it's been said already but the artwork is amazing. I like how all 3 ultimate titles are different from each other so far. I'm interested to see what other mutants are introduced in this series (very curious about maystorm). I wonder how they will handle when Momoko needs a break. The simple answer is to delay the book but I wouldn't mind if they did something similar to the hickman new mutants run where every other issue was a different creative team with different characters. Maybe Momoko takes a break after the first arc and a different team comes on to focus of a different group of mutants, anyway I'm excited about this series and the rest of the ultimate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by PopCulturePooka View Post
    Just as a minor note, the shoes that Tsubasa was depicted as wearing when he died are uwabaki, a kind of slipper with a rubber sole intended for indoor use only. The main place you see them are in school rooms/buildings. Kids will change out of their shiny black school shoes into them when they arrive at school (you may also see them in some office type jobs, but not as commonly, usually a different type of slipper might be used there. At my office we used open toe style Uniqlo slippers. A little easier to change back and forth).
    So the implication COULD be that Tsubasa died at school, which might actually give more credence to the teacher being involved.

Oh and in Japan, bullying in schools, both from peers and unfortunately teachers, is still a fairly big social issue that gets a little "blind eyed".
    Hah I missed that. Yeah if they are those shoes then the suicide must have happened inside the main building. Otherwise he would have switched back to his outdoor shoes if treading outside. Or passing his small locker.

I still prefer if it was a suicide. It makes for a more powerful story.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I get all the positive comment attributed to this story but the more readers explain why they did like this more it seem like some of you wanted anything but the X-men
    Which is great but I personally don't think that's what this series should be infact a better premise could have focused entirely on Armor and her background. Instead it feels like the X-men have been pulled into this alternate, alternate reality story.

EDIT-- Just because they tried something different doesn't mean it's good or should solely be celebrated for being the unexpected.