Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Not in my opinion. The ending is wonky but I enjoyed much of Duggan's run especially year 1 and the first half of year 2. For me it was when the Doom-Men entered the scene that things went off the rails. Cassara's return next issue will be helpful though as there's only two issues left until the big #35.
    Agreed. (Although I didn't hate Milligan's run - I'm a big Larocca fan).

Duggan is getting some harsher criticisms because:

1) Something they like (a favorite X-era) is ending
    2) He is finishing up someone else (Hickman) vision

His exit isn't finishing as strong because he is stretched too thin with too many books that's disrupting quality and continuity. But its still a fun read. Much better than Austen and more things from AvX to to HoX.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

The X-Men so overtly killing their enemies sometimes pulls me out of the story. I understand the X-Men are different than the Avengers, Batman, or Superman; but I guess it's been so ingrained in me since I started reading comics as a kid in the 90s that heroes never killed. I remember back in the day when characters like Wolverine did it, it was off-panel or not as obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_fury View Post
    Which modern runs?

Because for me he ranks below whendon, morrison, carey, hickman, gillen, fraction, bendis, hell i take even aaron’s mediocre watxm over this.
    By modern, I’d limit that to the last 10 years so that would be most of the stuff post AvX. I do think he’s his run has been better than Bendis, Aaron, Lemire, Guggenheim

Which modern runs?

Because for me he ranks below whendon, morrison, carey, hickman, gillen, fraction, bendis, hell i take even aaron’s mediocre watxm over this.
    Equal to Fraction, which is above Bendis and pretty much everything from AvX to HoX.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Not really. Duggan doesn't make me dislike characters as much as Austen did. Austen found a way to inhabit characters and make them thoroughly unlikable.

Duggan's recent uninspired use of characters as sock puppets is "acting you can see" (as they say).

I will say, I was intrigued by new villains / concepts like Pneumococcal Jones or whatever that was. But then it all got jobbed.

It all seems to point to an editor that needs to do better.
    No, i'm pretty sure the editor problem was there before Duggan came along.

I thought the issue was okay. Outside of a few action scenes that were kinda meh I also though Noto did a solid job on art duties, particularly the opening scenes with the Orchis guy confronting the lighthouse keeper, made me want to read a murder mystery book illustrated by Noto. This book feels too small compared to FoX/RoX, the big ideas and fights are happening there (and Duggan is even writing one which makes this even more odd to me), it’s like an afterthought compared to those two series. Polaris stole the show again. I hope moving forward the new X writers keep using Polaris like this and making he a big player. She’s a mini Magneto, and while she might not be quite as powerful as pops she is still definitely a heavy hitter. I must say I did like seeing the Kate, Yana and Lockheed reunion, that was nice.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Equal to Fraction, which is above Bendis and pretty much everything from AvX to HoX.
    Saying Fraction is above Bendis is a bold take. I'm not sure I disagree, although I wish Fraction didn't have that HARD hard-on for Cyclops.

Currently the messiah era as whole with fraction/gillen on uncanny, kyle & yost on x-force, wells on new mutants and aaron on wolverine ranks above the krakoa era.

Extraordinary Member

The problem with Duggan's writing is it is devoid of imagination and creativity so much of the time. Polaris and Magik have such dynamic powers, but all we get is powerlines and a small disk to teleport water from a fire hydrant. The vaunted Magik-Kitty team-up as best-sword friends is just 2 panels seen from afar through a window. Reading his X-Men is too often like watching the scene from the 2010 Last Airbender movie where half a dozen earthbenders accomplish nothing but throwing a small rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    I'm reading it on autopilot.

Nothing interesting to comment on, not even the bad things.
    Same. I think Duggan’s writing is just not my cup of tea. Fall of the House of X made me realize I truly don’t find his writing exciting at all, even when supposedly writing an “epic” event. So I’m just really ready for something new and more thought-out.

Currently the messiah era as whole with fraction/gillen on uncanny, kyle & yost on x-force, wells on new mutants and aaron on wolverine ranks above the krakoa era.
    The time we had the highest average quality on the X-men franchise was around 2007-2008:

Astonishing X-men by Joss Whedon
    X-men/Legacy by Mike Carey
    Uncanny X-men by Ed Brubaker
    New X-men/X-force by Kyle & Yost
    X-factor by Peter David

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Saying Fraction is above Bendis is a bold take. I'm not sure I disagree, although I wish Fraction didn't have that HARD hard-on for Cyclops.
    Bendis > Fraction by a large margin. Cyclops was right.

Extraordinary Member

In my opinion, Bendis was much, much better than Fraction. Fraction always felt like Cyclops fanfiction and I hated Cyclops in those days. It took Gillen replacing Fraction to start to turn me around on Cyclops.

I hated Fraction's run when it was originally coming out but going back to it now, it wasnt as bad as I made it out to be. Bendis' two books were definitely more enjoyable and I think overall he definitely was better. Really the only stain on Bendis is the end of UXM with the Last Will and Testament which dragged and repeated itself unnecesarily. If that arc didnt exist or at least was shortened, I think people would look back on him more favorably

The more I sit on this issue, the more I realize how freaking weird it was.

Every decision made with that sentinel is just... what?

Like, got it, we need the sentinel to be a threat to Polaris to increase the stakes, so it SOMEHOW has countermeasures against magnetism. I can understand that decision.

But then the sentinel just sits there and lets them take it out. AND, even though the issue SHOWS Polaris using energy off the electromagnetic spectrum to destroy Magik's nanites or whatever... she then... can't use energy off the electromagnetic spectrum to impact the sentinel... but... the powerlines using energy off the electromagnetic spectrum will impact the sentinel? I just...

That whole moment needed some major logician's edits.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men